Jatamansi is a natural brain nervine tonic and a memory enhancer, which has calming, peacefulness, and relaxation features. It is an endangered ayurvedic medical herb that had been used since ancient times for many medicinal purposes. In the market, it is available in the form of a root, oil, and powder. Nardostachys Jatamansi is a known calming herb in Ayurveda and Unani because of its medicinal values. A number of studies have been done for its efficacy with respect to the nervous system. In Ayurveda, it is prescribed against stress, spasm, epilepsy, convulsion, and hysteria. In fact, it is one of the excellent herbs to treat epilepsy. The relaxing herb is known by different names like Jatamansi, spikenard, nard, nardin, muskroot, balchar, sumbul-ut-teeb, sambul lateeb. Jatamansi consists of two words: Jata means dreadlocks and manasi indicates towards humans. It comes under the family of Valerianaceae. It has been found in the Himalayan region.
Amazing benefits of Jatamansi
- Hair growth: The extract of jatamansi oil is helpful in the growth of hair. It is beneficial for smooth, silky, and healthy hair too. It is used to improve complexion and ensures glowing and shining looks to the body. The root of the powder in the water when applied promotes skin texture.
- AYUSH-56: It is an amalgam of Nardostachys jatamansi and Marsilea minuta with a ratio of 1:2. It is used as an anti-epileptic.
- Cardiac health: It ensures good cardiac conditions as observed in mice.
- Memory and learning: The medicinal plant is helpful in enhancing the faculties of the brain and combats mental problems thus impart calm and peace to the mind. It is one of the effective medicinal roots to subsidies the three humors-Vatta, Pitta and Kapha and provides a delightful state to the doshas of the body.
- Strengthens the nervous system: It helps to provide vitality, vigor, and strength to the body thus good for the nervous system.
- Stress buster: The plant has the power to reduce stress, anxiety, and tension by balancing biochemical reactions in the body. It is good to have the mind cool and healthy and acts as one of the finest mind rejuvenator tonics. It facilitates sound sleeping thus good for those who have a stressful life.
- Skin infection: The burning sensation of skin and inflammation get subsidized when the decoction of Jatamansi powder prepared in cold water is applied.
- Liver problems: it shows hepatoprotective effects along with momordica charantia and ferula asafetida.
- Antidepressant: The extract of N. jatamansi show anti-depressant features
- Antifungal: The essential oil of it acts against fungi like Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus niger.
Best uses of Jatamansi
- It is used to impart black color to hair and prevents greying of hair. Its medicated oil with almond is highly useful for smooth and silky hair.
- It is beneficial for hyperactive children and helps to reduce hyperactivity, restlessness, and aggressiveness.
- It is therapeutically very important, alleviates pain and swelling, and shows the properties like carminative and aromatic.
- It has hepatoprotective characteristics thus useful in hepatitis, prevent enlargement of liver and jaundice.
- The oil helps to relax and calm the body and mind thereby ensures relief from headaches and migraines.
- Its underground stem is used in the preparation of powerful aromatic essential oil.
- The root of the plant is used in making oil to treat insomnia and birth related problems.
- It is used as analgesic and diuretic in Unani.
- Used as making of perfumes and dies.
- The root of the powder is used to treat intestinal worms.
Side effects of Jatamansi
- People suffering from hypersensitivity should avoid the use of it.
- Consuming an excess of jatamansi leads to vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.
- It may also cause urinary problems if it is taken in excess.
- Nausea and colic are also common if heavy doses are given.
- Pregnant as well as a lactating mothers should avoid it.
Chemical composition of Jatamansi
The different biochemical substances that are found in this medicinal plant are ursolie acid, acacin, kanshone A, octacosanol, nardosinone, nardosinonediol, aristolen-9beta-ol, oleanolic acid, beta-sitosterol. It also contains nardal, jatamansic acid, jatamol A &B, spirojatamol, terpenoid, neolignans, taraxerone, valeranone, chlorogenic acid, ferulic acid, syringic acid, and protocatechuic acid.
The different ayurvedic characteristics of the plant are given as below:
- Taste (Rasa): bitter, astringent and sweet
- Characteristics (Guna): light
- Potency (Virya): Cool & calm
- Digestive effect (Vipaka): pungent
- Humor (Effects on Tridoshas): cool all the three doshas: Vatta, Pitta, and Kapha
5 thoughts on “10 Wonder Benefits and Uses of Nardostachys Jatamansi”
I am writing a proposal regarding chemical evaluation of jatamansi and need thorough study on these topics. These matters help me for proposal writing but i need more..
Chemical analysis can be done in chemistry lab.This u will find at Bombay ,Bhavan’s college Andheri. This will help u to understand the mode of action of drug.
Do they hv facility for medicinal plants
Very nice information
Very good information in the article