How to use honey for weight loss?
Both honey and refined sugar contain sugar, but there is a marked difference between them. Honey is inundated with valuable vitamins and minerals, and all these beneficial nutrients are lacking in refined sugar. When you take a refined one, it simply adds extra calories, which results in weight gain. On the other hand, honey is fructose-rich, which allows your brain to produce fat-burning hormones. Therefore, replacing sugar with farm honey for weight loss is wise. Honey can be used as a natural substitute in tea, desserts, syrups, and other sweet dishes. Taking one tablespoon of honey before bedtime is helpful in weight loss. Using honey regularly helps to satiate your appetite.
Medicinal uses of honey
Honey is one of nature’s most beautiful gifts, used since ancient times. Honey has many essential health benefits and medicinal uses, such as boosting immunity, weight loss, flavouring, nourishing, moisturising, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, etc. Though honey has innumerable benefits, it also benefits weight loss, fitness, beauty, and hair health. It is fat-, cholesterol-free, and sodium-free, as per the National Honey Board portal information.
Nutritional facts of farm honey
- One tablespoon of honey contains energy (64 calories) and sugar (17 grams).
- The varied sugars in honey are fructose, glucose, maltose and sucrose.
- It has no fibre, fat or protein.
- It has a lower GI value related to blood sugar level.
- It has an adequate amount of antioxidants and phenolic compounds.
- It is rich in minerals, viz. iron, calcium and magnesium.
Wonder benefits of farm honey for weight loss
- Honey and cinnamon for weight loss: Using honey (1 tb) and cinnamon (1/2 tbs) in a cup of green tea expedites your body’s metabolic process and enables you to be energetic. It also helps you to prevent frequent eating.
- Honey and lemon for weight loss: Mix a glass of lukewarm water, honey (1/2 tbs) and half lemon. Drink it every morning, which helps detoxify the body, expedite the metabolic process, rejuvenate the organs, and accordingly gives the feeling of less appetite.
- Honey and garlic: Using honey (1tbs) and garlic in the morning acts as a detoxifying agent. It also helps in lowering cholesterol levels.
- A study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition in 2010 wherein it has been found that using honey ensures controlling your appetite. Eating honey before bed helps shed extra fat from the body.
- Honey has the inherent quality of burning extra body fat and can do a commendable job in weight loss if all refined sugar in your diet is replaced with this natural nectar. This natural farm product helps to synchronise brain signals, discouraging you from eating more sugary products.
- Honey stimulates digestion and fights against belly fat.
- Constipation is directly or indirectly related to overweight. Problems like digestion, acidity, and irritable bowel syndrome can affect weight management routine as obese people generally complain about constipation.
- Those who have digestion problems are likely to have weight gain. However, lemon and water ensure to flush out waste products from the body and cleanse your digestive canal, thus helpful to be fit and healthy.
- Honey is an excellent natural moisturiser for dry and rough skin. The application of it helps to soften and supple your skin. Rub your face with honey and wash it after 20 minutes, giving you a fair complexion. Besides these, it is an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial too.
- Honey is a wonder natural moisturiser and helps to get silky hair. Using honey and olive oil on the scalp works as conditioning, followed by washing the hair with natural shampoo.
10 top facts about farm honey
- Honey shouldn’t be used in boiling water for weight management.
- The liquid shouldn’t be cooked at high temperatures if you want to combat overweight.
- Honey is more beneficial and healthful if it is raw, comes from the farm directly and unpasteurised.
- Slovenian honey is considered as the best one.
- Diabetic patients should take honey in moderate amounts instead of refined sugar.
- Using honey helps in weight management and reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- The best way to identify the purity of honey is that it sinks when put into a glass of water.
- The different forms of honey are Bhramar, Kshaudra, Pauttik, Chhatra, Aarghya, Auddalaka and Makshika.
- Honey shouldn’t be given to children below one year as it may cause food poisoning because of clostridium botulinum.
- A compound called Hydroxymethylfurfural formed after the heating of honey that is supposed to damage the genetic composition of the body.