Standing spinal twist yoga pose is also known as waist rotation yoga and Katichakrasana in Sanskrit. Waist rotation yoga is a boon to strengthen the lower back and its muscles. Standing spinal twist pose helps to make your waist slim. One of my Yoga teachesr Shri Balmukund from Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga, New Delhi once told me that it is a beneficial yoga pose for lower spinal health and also good for kidney, testes and digestive system. It helps to burn lower belly fat too. Here, we will discuss the health benefits of Katichakrasana through scientific evidences subject to do its steps and procedures with right technique.
Important facts about Standing Spinal Twist Pose
- In Sanskrit, it is pronounced as ‘Ka-tee-Cha-KRAAHS-un-uh’.
- The meaning of Katichakrasana is Kati means ‘waist’, Chakra means ‘wheel’, circular rotation; and asana indicates to posture/pose.
- It’s a beginner level yoga and plays important roles for smaller muscles of the spine.
- It involves motion in hips, spine, waist, and shoulders.
- It works well on the thighs, calves, hip flexors, deep abdominal muscles, the entire spine and biceps.
10 Amazing benefits of standing spinal twist pose
- Weight loss: If one do this yoga pose fast as well as on regular basis, helps to shed excessive fats from the belly region.
- Relieve constipation: This is one of the best yoga poses to cure even chronic constipation.
- Strengthens the spine: Since, it gives adequate stretching to the lower back area as well as the spinal part. Thus good for the health of spine.
- Leg muscles workout: It is a good exercise to build legs and arms muscles thereby relieve from leg pain.
- Neck & shoulder yoga: It provides stretching and twisting to the neck and shoulders thus keep these flexible and free from ailments.
- Removes stiffness: This is an excellent asana for removing stiffness from the body, especially the spinal one.
- Feeling of lightness: The asana removes mental as well as physical tensions and fatigue thus helps to induce a wonderful feeling of lightness.
- Frozen Shoulder: Its practice can cure the pain of frozen shoulder.
- Facilitates breathing: It ensures expansion and twisting of lungs thereby helpful prevents many respiratory disorders such as lungs congestion, asthma, etc.
- Prevents diabetes: Its movement stimulates the pancreas and good for management of diabetes.
Waist rotation yoga pose shouldn’t be performed in the following conditions.
- Slip disc
- Abdominal surgery
- Spinal disorders
- While practicing the yoga pose, one should be aware of the stretch at the opposite’s sides of the back.
- Your feet should be fixed properly during practicing of it.
- Arms movement should be should be properly arranged.
- One should try to give maximum twisting and stretching at the lower back and belly region.
Breathing mechanism is utmost important for practicing any yoga poses. As far as waist rotation yoga pose is concerned, exhale while twisting. Do normal breathing at the final pose and inhale while coming to the original position.
- Yogic Sukshma Vyayama i.e. Shoulder movement, hands movement, knee movement, etc.