What is Corona virus (COVID-19)?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is new dangerous viruses, trace its origin from Wuhan city of China. This deadly virus has caused havoc around the world with millions of infected persons and the death of more than 70 thousand people across the world. The most favorable place to attack is the respiratory tract and becomes more dangerous with co-morbid conditions. It is becoming alarming when it access to community transmission.
Ways to prevent COVID-19
Since there is no medicine still developed, the most important means to protect from the coronavirus is PREVENTION. Prevention can be done through:
- Maintaining social distancing at least one meter
- Personal hygiene
- Washing hands frequently, especially for 20 seconds
- Avoid touching one’s face, nose, mouth, and eyes.
Corona virus (Covid-19) symptoms
- Dry coughing
- Difficulty in breathing
- Pain and ache
How Corona virus (Covid-19) Spread
- Through contact with an infected person when they cough or sneeze.
- Touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and followed by touching their eyes, nose, or mouth.
Combating corona through yoga
When people are forced to isolate and stay in their homes, it creates a great deal of stress, depression, fear, and negative emotions, which further may show cascading effects on physical and mental health. All these bring down the immunity and making the body easily prone to infections. Fear, especially of the magnitude being experienced during the COVID 19 pandemic, might harm the entire body mechanism.
Yoga, breathing practices, meditation, mindfulness, positive emotions, and relaxation overcome stress and enhance our immune system. Regular practicing of Yoga such as cleansing techniques (Kapalbhati, Jalneti, Kunjal), some yoga asanas, Pranayama, Dhyana, and Yoga Nidra helps to boost the immune system and also enhances the efficiency of the respiratory system which ultimately helps to fight infections, including the COVID-19.
Yoga can also discourage fear and depression through a healthy lifestyle viz. Achar: healthy physical activities; vichar: right thoughts and the right attitude towards life; vihar: proper recreational activities to relax body and mind and Vyavahar: healthy interpersonal relationships for psycho-social health.
5 Yoga helps to fight corona virus (Covid-19)
Yoga has the capacity to improve immunity, respiratory tract functioning, and helps to cope up with Covid 19 Infections. The most commonly seen symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are fever, tiredness, dry cough, and shortness of breath. Some patients may also have headaches, nasal congestion, running nose, sore throat, and diarrhea. Yoga practices help to strengthen the immune system and make us ready to fight against viral and bacterial infections.
- Kapalbhati: Kapalabhati cleanses the respiratory tract, facilitates the smooth flow of oxygen in the body thereby increases immunity in the body. This body cleansing yoga also helps to detoxify lungs and respiratory tracts. Kapalbhati invigorates the entire brain and awakens the body cells. The powerful cleansing cum breathing process increases the lung’s capacity and purifies the frontal air sinuses and stimulates the brain too.
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama: Nadi Shodhana Pranayama is known as a stress buster and mood elevator pranayama because of its calmness and steadies in nature. It helps to remove blockages from and facilitates a free flow of oxygen throughout the body. It is one of the effective yoga poses to strengthen the immune system.
- Bhastrika Pranayama: This is powerful pranayama relieves inflammation of the throat, destroys phlegm; removes diseases of the nose, chest, and beneficial for asthma. It removes all diseases arising from excess of wind, bile, and phlegm; and gives warmth to the body. The pranayama helps to increase nitrous oxide in the nasal region. This nitrous oxide helps to decrease blood pressure and improves blood flow to the organs which leads to an anti-inflammatory effect in the arteries, boosts of defense mechanism, which aids in the destruction of viruses and parasitic organisms.
- Bhramari Pranayama: Bhramari Pranayama has the ability to calm the body and mind thereby a powerful weapon to combat stress. It is very useful pranayama to relieve tension and anxiety and also reduces anger thereby helps to increase the immunity of the body.
- Jalaneti: Jalaneti helps to cleanse the respiratory tract and helps to remove infection and toxins. It is good for the inner epithelial cell lining in the respiratory tract which improves immunity by attracting more neutrophils in the respiratory tract. It also helps to remove infections from the throat.
Yoga reduces stress about corona virus (Covid-19)
Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic has left people anxious irrespective of age group on various levels like physically, emotionally, and psycho-socially. Sleepless night, quarantine, self-quarantine, social distancing, covid-19 patients misery; all lead to a greater level of anxiety, stress, fear, and depression. Here, yogasana (Ustrasana, Matysasana, Vipritkarni); Cleansing yoga (Kapalbhati, Jalneti, and Kunjal); Pranayama and Yuktahara(the right habits of eating, sleeping, working, and recreation).