Meaning of Sarvangasana
Sarvangasana is a Sanskrit word which comprises ‘Sarv means Entire’; Anga means body parts, and Asana means pose. Sarvangasana is known for its many important health benefits. It is one of the few yoga poses that stimulates and regulates the entire body, i.e. show benefits from toes to fingers. The Shoulder Stand pose is worked well for the different internal organs of the body and also smoothes the functions of these sensitive organs. Because of its significant role in managing and preventing diseases and disorders, the yoga asana is known as the ‘Mother Of Asanas’. It is one of the greatest boons our ancient saints and sages conferred to humanity. Since the mother is the harbinger of harmony and happiness at home, in the same way, Sarvangasana strives for peace and happiness for the body. After learning its technique correctly, it is recommended that the Sadhak (practitioner) should perform it every day to make oneself fit and healthy.
Top 10 Benefits of Sarvangasana
- Prevents thyroid problems: Sarvangasana helps the thyroid and parathyroid glands to bathe in the blood, thereby absorb nutrients from the blood, thus being good for the health of these glands and their functions. It also revitalises the throat and neck regions, ensuring blood flow.
- Good for heart health: In the pose, the body is inverted, and venous blood flow to the heart without any strain by force of gravity, thus good for the proper functioning of the heart and preventing palpitations.
- Soothes headache: During performing Sarvangasana, the head remains inverted, and the blood supply to it is regulated by a firm chin lock that leads to soothing nerves and headache. Regular performance of this asana may cure headaches and migraines completely.
- Treats hypertension: The pose shows soothing impacts on the nerves, thus good for those suffering from hypertension, irritation, shortness of temper, and nervous breakdown.
- Treats insomnia: Due to the inverted position of the asana, blood circulation to the ENT region gets enhanced and facilitates nutrient supply in this region.
- Relieves constipation: The asana regulates the free movement of the bowel and vanishes constipation completely.
- Gives vigour and strength: Practising this yoga pose regularly helps provide new energy and strength, and the practitioner may experience peace and confidence.
- Relieves stomach ulcer: It activates the abdominal organs and relieves people suffering from ulcers, intestinal ulcers, chronic pains in the abdominal region, and colitis.
- Beneficial for asthma: The pose exerts pressure on the sternum against the chin, preventing breathing from the top of the lungs, thus curing asthma and other respiratory problems.
- Relieves from a varicose vein: It reduces blood pressure to the blood vessels of the legs, thus relieving people suffering from varicose veins. It is also suitable for the disorders at the heel and groin region.
Wonder benefits of Sarvangasana
Besides the above said health benefits, the Shoulder Stand yoga pose is also known for beauty, skincare, managing hair problems, curing sexual issues, and weight loss. Some of the surprising benefits of Sarvangasana are given below:
- Prevents hair fall: The asana increases the supply of blood and nutrients in the scalp region, thus prevents hair loss, hair fall, and premature greying of hair.
- Sexual disorders: Sexual problems and associated disorders get relieved from this asana. It is effective in frequent abortions, leucorrhoea, syphilis, etc.
- Weight Loss: It smoothes the body’s metabolism functions and helps regulate weight.
- Enhances your eyesight: It is suitable for eye vision as it accelerates blood circulation in the ENT region. It is also the solution to hearing and the smelling power of the nose.
- Skincare: It helps to remove toxins and other waste products from the blood, thus prevent many diseases related to the skin. It facilitates the adequate blood supply to the forehead region, therefore good for facial problems. It prevents wrinkles, and pimples, and delays aging.