Meaning of Sarvangasana
Sarvangasana is a Sanskrit word which comprises ‘Sarv means Entire’; Anga means body parts and Asana means pose. It is one of the few yoga poses that stimulates and regulates the entire body i.e. show benefits from toes to fingers. Sarvangasana is known for its many important health benefits. The shoulder Stand pose is worked well for the different internal organs of the body and also smoothes the functions of these sensitive organs. Because of its significant role in the management and prevention of diseases and disorders, the yogasana is known as ‘Mother Of Asanas’. It is one of the greatest boons conferred to humanity by our ancient saints and sages. Since the mother is the harbinger of harmony and happiness at home, in the same way Sarvangasana strives for harmony and happiness for the body. After learning its technique properly, it is recommended that the Sadhak (practitioner) should perform it every day to make oneself fit and healthy.
Top 10 benefits of Sarvangasana
- Prevents thyroid problems: Sarvangasana helps the thyroid and parathyroid glands to bathe in the blood thereby absorb nutrients from the blood thus good for the health of these glands and their functions. It also revitalizes the throat and neck regions ensuring blood flow to it.
- Good for heart health: In the pose, the body is inverted, and venous blood flow to the heart without any strain by force of gravity thus good for the proper functioning of the heart and also prevents palpitations.
- Soothes headache: During performing Sarvangasana, the head remains in the inverted position, and the supply of blood to it is regulated by a firm chinlock that leads to the soothing of nerves and headache. Regular performance of this asana may cure headaches and migraines completely.
- Treats hypertension: The pose shows soothing impacts on the nerves thus good for those who are suffering from hypertension, irritation, shortness of temper, and nervous breakdown.
- Treats insomnia: Due to the inverted position of the asana, blood circulation to the ENT region gets enhances and facilitates nutrients supply in this region.
- Relieves constipation: The asana regulates the free movement of the bowel and vanishes constipation completely.
- Gives vigor and strength: Practising this yoga pose on regular basis, helps to provide new vigor and strength and the practitioner may experience peace and confidence.
- Relives stomach ulcer: It activates the abdominal organs and relieves from people suffering from ulcers, intestinal ulcers, chronic pains in the abdominal region, and colitis.
- Beneficial for asthma: The pose exerts pressure on the sternum against the chin that prevents breathing from the top of the lungs thus cure asthma and other respiratory problems.
- Relives from a varicose vein: It reduces blood pressure to the blood vessels of the legs thus gives great relief to the people who are suffering from varicose veins. It is also good for the disorders at the heel and groin region.
Wonder benefits of Sarvangasana
Besides the above said health benefits, the Shoulder Stand yoga pose is also known for beauty, skincare, managing hair problems, curing sexual problems, and weight loss. Some of the surprising benefits of Sarvangasana are given below:
- Prevents hair fall: The asana increases the supply of blood as well as nutrients in the scalp region thus prevents hair loss, hair fall, and premature graying of hair.
- Sexual disorders: Sexual problems and disorders associated with it get relieves from this asana. It is effective in case of frequent abortions, leucorrhoea, syphilis, etc.
- Weight Loss: It smoothes the metabolism functions in the body and helps to regulate weight.
- Enhances your eyesight: It is good for eye vision as it accelerates the blood circulation in the ENT region. It is also the solution of hearing as well as the smelling power of the nose.
- Skincare: It helps to remove toxins and other waste products from the blood thus prevent many diseases related to the skin. It prevents wrinkles, pimples, and delay aging. It facilitates the adequate blood supply to the forehead region thus good for facial problems.