What is Jal neti
Jal Neti is a nasal cleansing yogic process where salted lukewarm water is used to remove the congestion and blockages of nasal as well as respiratory regions. Jal Neti helps to keep you free from many diseases and also facilitates smooth breathing exchange through the nostril.
Everything you need to know about jal neti
- What is Jal neti?
- Jal Neti preparation
- How to do Jal Neti
- Jal Neti practice time
- Top 10 health benefits of Jal Neti
- Jal Neti Precaution
- Scientific explanation of the Jalneti
Jal net preparations
- First of all, take a neti pot with a nozzle that can be easily inserted into the nostril.
- One teaspoon of salt may be added into half a litre of lukewarm water.
- Now, fill the neti pot with this water.
How to do Jal neti
- The simple steps and technique of performing Jal neti are being given below:
- First of all, sit in Kagasana having a 1-foot distance between legs.
- Lean forward from the lower back.
- Tilt the head to the opposite side of the nostril whichever is more active at the moment.
- Insert the nozzle of the pot into the nostril which is active at that moment.
- Open your mouth throughout the neti process and try to breathe through it.
- Let the water flow in through one nostril and out through the other nostril.
- After finishing half of the water of the Neti pot, put it down and clear your nostril.
- The same thing should start from the other side.
- After finishing from both sides, do forceful exhalation from both the nostrils in all directions i.e. left & right, top & bottom.
Jal neti practice time
- The best time to perform Jalneti is either in the morning or evening.
- One must do it at home after competing for his job or work.
- However, it can be done at any time of the day.
- Those who have blocked or nasal congestion should perform it many times of the day to prevent germs.
Top 10 health benefits of Jal Neti
- Sinusitis: Neti helps in curing sinusitis, ailments of the eyes, nose, and throat, tonsillitis, catarrh, as well as inflammation of the adenoids and mucus membranes.
- Cough and Cold: Jal Neti is extremely helpful in the prevention of cold and cough. It also prevents allergic sneezing.
- Headache: Headache is quite common these days. The regular practice of neti helps to alleviate chronic headaches and migraines.
- Insomnia: There are many people who can’t fall asleep or suffering from insomnia. To cure insomnia, jal neti is one of the effective yoga processes.
- Drowsiness: Nasal cleaning yoga helps to reduce the symptoms of drowsiness and regular practice of it ensures to get rid of it.
- Grey Hair: Hair problems are quite common these days irrespective of ages. Jal neti is beneficial for hair health and prevents untimely falling of hair, greying of hair, and other hair conditions.
- Memory: It helps to sharpen your memory and overcomes the problems of forgetfulness.
- Eye diseases: It treats many eye-related problems and diseases such as soreness, night-blindness, dimness, etc. According makes your eyes lustrous and beautiful.
- Ear: Diseases related to the ear are also getting helped with the practice of Jal neti. In nutshell, one can say that the practice of jal neti is a panacea for the ENT region of the body.
- Psycho-spiritual health: It helps to clear impediments to the free flow of air thus effects on all the Kośas of the body which has a great influence on psycho-spiritual health.
Jal neti precaution
- After performing Jalneti, either Kapalbhati or Bhastrika Pranayama should be performed to dry the nasal region.
- While during the above-said breathing process, one shouldn’t blow very hard as it may push water into the ears.
- The proportion of salt in water should be kept in mind as more salt leads to a burning sensation in the nasal region.
- Breathe through the mouth throughout the practice.
- Initially, it should be practiced under the guidance of a yoga expert.
Scientific explanation of the Jalneti
Jal neti is using of saline liquid to nasopharyngeal mucosa. To a certain extent, it causes a mild irritation to the mucosa region. Jal neti dissolves many accumulations produced either as a result of retained secretions or deposits from the inhaled air. This process helps the nasopharynx, sinuses, nasal ducts, and eyes thus good for the health of the ENT region.
8 thoughts on “Jal Neti (Nasal Cleansing Yoga) Steps, Benefits and Precautions”
Nicely explained. It is good for cleaning the nasal.
Excellent explanation – thanks for telling detailed benefits (that’s impressive) for such a simple process, tells the procedures and tells the cautions – take care not to push water into the ears. Good.
Can we use desi ghee in nostrils few hours after practising jal Neti?
Thank you for giving wonderful information, will water go inside the lungs is there any possibility? If what we do immediately?
thank you for informative content!
Good explanation, very helpful for beginners
Is it really possible to do Jalneti with seeing relevent video on internet OR have to take coaching from Yoga teacher only