Scope of Unani medicine
The Alternative System of Medicine has in-depth potential in treating diseases and disorders. In the age of modernization, stress is rooted in every domain and one of the prominent causative factors for many health ailments.
Many colleges and universities are offering quality education in the field of Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Ph.D. levels. After completing the BUMS course, one can pursue his/her career as Unani Hakim, Pharmacist may join in government hospitals, dispensaries, Unani hospitals, teaching jobs, etc. The governments have established research centers and council for the promotion of Unani medicine. The private sector is also hiring these professionals with lucrative job offers.
Unani medicine is holistic in nature. It has enormous healing power without any side effects. The ancient system of natural medicine has been practicing for the last 6000 years. Unani is based on the principles of four senses of humor: blood in the human body, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile. Fire, water, earth, and air are the four components of this system. It has greater significance in the treatment and management of diseases like infertility, weight loss, vitiligo, diabetes, kidney stone, etc.
Unani course details and eligibility
The Bachelor of Unani Medicine & Surgery is offered by many public and private colleges and institutes in India. The eligibility of the course is that one should pass the 12th standard with minimum of 50% marks in aggregate in physics, chemistry, and biology from a recognized college or university. Those candidates who have Urdu in their Intermediate exam are given preference. BUMS is of 5½ years course including house surgency. After completing BUMS, one can also pursue MD (Mahir-e-Tibb) and MS courses. The interested candidate may also pursue Ph.D.
Job oriented career in Unani medicine
With the changes in time, there is also modification in the Unani field. Students of Bachelor of Unani Medicine & Surgery are also made acquainted with other relevant disciplines such as physiology preventive medicine, pharmacology, pathology, and forensic medicine along with the parent discipline. All these make the BUMS candidate more knowledgeable and make them ready for the demand of the market economy. Some specialized fields are also available after BUMS like Moalijat, Ilmul Qabalat, Tahaffuz-wa-Samaji Tibb, Ilmul Advia, Ilmul Saidla, etc.
Career prospect in Unani medicine
The career options in Unani and its related fields such as Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Siddha, Naturopathy, and Yoga are bright. Since, for a large number of diseases and disorders, Unani has a big say in the management and treatment of them. The discipline is quite effective for lifestyle-related disorders, infertility, and other sexual problems. If you are simple BUMS, you can join as a research officer or consultant either in the public or private sector. If you are ambitious and hardworking, you can make a niche as a pharmacist, hakim, or physician. Opting for a career in Unani medicine after the 12th standard is interesting and challenging. After completing an undergraduate course, one can do postgraduate or may pursue Ph.D. or other research work in the discipline.
Career options in Unani medicine
- Unani Medical Officer
- Director (Unani)
- Deputy Director (Unani)
- Assistant Director (Unani)
- Research Officer
- Assistant Research Officer
- Unani Physician
- Unani Consultant
- Publication Officer (Unani)
Job Opportunity in Unani Medicine
Since Unani has in-depth potential in curing and treatment of many diseases therefore the significance of Unani graduates or BUMS has greater relevance and significance. A number of Public Commission Services are recruiting Unani Medical Officer. Union, as well as State government research centers, have lucrative employment opportunities for the Hakims. Due to Liberalisation, Privatisation, and Globalisation; the private sectors have also opened the door for deserving candidates. Bachelor of Unani Medicine & Surgery (BUMS) and Unani PG holders have job options as Unani Medical Officer, Hakims, Pharmacist, Research Officer, Assistant Research Officer, etc. in both the public sector and private one. Teaching may also be one of the options after pursuing higher studies.
In the government sector, one may join as Medical Officer advertised through different Public Service Commission such as
- Union Public Service Commission
- Rajasthan Public Service Commission
- Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission
- Calcutta Public Service Commission
- Bihar Public Service Commission
- Maharashtra Public Service Commission, etc.
They may also found a job in
- Centre Research Centres i.e. CCRUM
- State Research Centre
- Government Hospitals
- Government research center
- Unani hospitals
- Unani Pharmacies
- Teaching faculty in Unani colleges/institutes
- Unani Physician
- Unani Consultant
Salary in Unani medicine
The remuneration depends upon your qualifications and experience. The salary in the field is also varying as per your expertise. At the initial stage, in the private sector or in the government as a consultant, one may get Rs. 25, 000-Rs. 30, 000 per month. In the government, Unani candidates are appointed as Unani Medical Officer under the pay scale of Rs. 15, 600-39, 100 with grade pay of Rs, 5400. However, in the private sector, one can get a suitable pay hike as per his knowledgeable experience and expertise.
Colleges offer Unani courses
There are many colleges and Institutes in India which are offering BUMS degree. Here given the list of some of the top Unani colleges, institutions, and institutes.
- Government Nizamia Tibbia College, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
Courses Available: 60 UG seats
- Dr. Abdul Haq Unani Medical College, Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh
Ayurveda and Unani Tibbia College (Unani), Delhi
Courses Available: 40 UG seats and 3 seats in one PG i.e. Ilmul Advia
- Faculty of Medicine (Unani), Jamia Hamdard, Delhi, Courses Available: 50 UG seats and 2 seats in one PG i.e. Moalijat
- Unani Medical College and Hospital, Srinagar, J&K
Courses Available: 40 UG seats
- Kashmir Tibbia College, Srinagar, J&K
- National Institute of Unani Medicine, Bangalore, Karnataka, Courses Available: 5 PG courses 38 seats Moalijat (8 seats), Ilmul Qabalat (5 seats), Tahaffuz wa Samaji Tibb (5 seats), Ilmul Advia (8 seats) Ilmul Saidla (4 seats)
- Tipu Sultan Saheed Educational Trust’s Unani Medical College, Gulbarga, Karnataka, Courses Available: 40 UG seats
- Luqman Unani Medical College & Hospital, Bijapur, Karnataka, Courses Available: 40 UG seats
- Hakim Abdul Hamid Unani Medical College, Dewas, Madhya Pradesh, Courses Available: 40 UG seats
- Saifia Hamidia Unani Tibbia College & Hospital, Khandwa, Madhya Pradesh, Courses Available: 50 UG seats
- Al-Farooq Unani Tibbia College, Indore, Madhya Pradesh, Courses Available: 50 UG seats
- Hakim Syed Ziaul Hassan Government Unani Medical College, Bhopal
- Anjuman-I-Islam’s Dr. Ishaq Jam Khanawala Tibbia Unani Medical College & Haji Abdul Razak , Mumbai, Courses Available: 50 UG seats
- Yunu s Fazlani Unani Medical College, Aurangabad
- Moh ammadia Tibbia College& Assayer Hospital, Nasik
- Iqra Society’s Unani Medical College, Jalgaon, Maharashtra
- Ahmed Gharib Unani Medical College & AS-Salam Hospital, Nandurbar, Maharashtra
- Zule ikhabai Valy Md. Unani Medical College Medical College & Hospital, Pune,
- Govt. Unani Medical College, Chennai, Courses Available: 26 UG seats
- State Unani Medical College, Allahabad, Courses Available: 40 UG seats
- Ajmal Khan Tibiya College, Aligarh, Courses Available: 50 UG seats
- Deoband Unani Medical College, Courses Available: 40 UG seats
- Sham-e-Ghausia Minority Unani Medical college, Ghazipur, Courses Available: 40 UG seats
- Jamia Tibbia Deoband, Deoband, Courses Available: 50 UG seats and 2 seats in one PG course (Moalijat)
- Ibn-e -Sina Tibbia College and Hospital, Azamgarh
- Allam a Iqbal Unani Medical College, Muzaffarnagar
- Eram Unani Medical College & Hospital, Lucknow
- Dr. Abdul Ali Tibbiya College & Hospital, Lucknow
- Aligarh Unani Medical College, Aligarh
- Calcutta Unani Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata, Courses Available: 40 UG seats
- Government Tibbia College, Patna
- Zulfequar Haider Unani Medical College & Hospital, Siwan,
- Salfia Unani Medical College & Hospital, Darbhanga
- Nezamia Unani Medical College, Gaya
- Mohsine Millat Unani Tibb Education Society, Raipur
- Rajasthan Unani Medical College & Hospital, Jaipur
- Rajputana Unani Medical College Hospital & Research Centre, Jaipur
49 thoughts on “A career in Bachelor of Unani Medicine & Surgery (BUMS) after 12th Class”
Can I pursue any Post graduation from Canada based on mu BUMS degree ?
Admission for bums
My name is MOHD FUZAIL ,My father name KHAIRUL BASHAR vill Bhira post walid pur mau India P C 276405 I am power boy so I want B U M S my vilage not any Doctor so I want becom a good Doctor so mai aap se reqvest karta ho ki ap mughai admission ki ajazate dai Allah hafiz
insallah apko jarur admisson milege apko bhai allah ne chaha to
is it necessary to pass in sessional examination by 50% in each subject separtely in BUMS
My name is md tauwab so i want bums my village is not any doctor so i want becom a good doctor so ye sab jaankar mere ghar wale gaw wale bahut khuss ho ki mai jamiya padhta ho…
I am Samsuddin
From:- Bihar mujhe BUMS ke liye jamia hamdard me Admission lena hai
please you can help me
please contact no send me
Plz encourage unani.it has great power to treatment of various diseases ….aapne up ka top bums collg to escape hi kr diya…..takmil uttib unani medical collg n hospital….jhn cpmt k through selection hota h..
Kya mjhe aap k college me admission mil skta h my 48% in hsc and 54 in mh cet what is fee?
Muhammad Danish ji mai Nagpur se maine Xth urdu midium se kiya aur XIIth englisg mid se mere percenteg 55% hsc mai aur pcb mai 45% aur CET mai 56 marks milay to kiya hmara admission hosacta hai
Dear sir my name is Fayyaz Ali I am from utter Pradesh I want to do bums courses 54% marks in PCB so I want low buddged college please gaid me thanks.
Urdu is necessary for bums….
Assalamu alekum sir ….my name is Alraaz khan I’m from Maharashtra …..hum utne rich family se to belong nhi krte h …but doctor bnne ki ichha dil se krte h. …so plzzzzz…..kya aap bta skte h k hmara admission bums clg m honga ya nhi ….hmne Hsc 84% nd ssc 64% se paas kiya h nd CET m 66 marks liya h ……so plzzzzz reply me……
wanted to know the fee structure
Hi Sir mai Bsc under graduat Mahashtra stat pharmacy Diploma Dpharm pass hu I am registered pharmacist
sir iam sangeetha after bums can I become general surgeon
sir please tell me how can i get admission in unani cllg in this year(2016)
there is no form available for admission in unani.
Hello sir my name is irfana….i have passed my intermediate wth75 percent can i get a management seat wth low fees
I can’t understand about unani medicine plz suggest me
Im double grduate in cbz n basic bsc nursing…working as staff nurse want to know is der any scope to persue BUMS degree…pzzz suggest
my fiance is 12th Pass and got seat in unani. I am from Hyderabad and she is from different state and got seat over their. considering the course duration (5 and half years) family members decided to drop her education, as no hope for seat in Hyderabad. I want to make her continue her stuidies in unani. Request to help us with FEE structure.
where is the jobs in unani…. government should take an action that corporate hospitals recruit unani Doctors aslo…
my daughter tabassum Fatima passed cbse exam with 74 percent marks in PCB wanting admission in BUMS in Madhya praesh she is not having Urdu subject in high school
BUMS/bcs radiology which one is better plz answer me
I am md teg ali mai government unani college sai bums karna chahta hau please help me
Sir, my question is 1 =urdu is necessary for bums…..,2=kitne fee hote h bums.. ko complete krnay m ….plz reply …..
My name is hey madam I study intimate in MPC group but I am eligible the because I am eligible that this course b u m s
Aapke college me aadmisan krana h BUMS me
You can take admission in
Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Science
Jamia Tibbiya Deoband
Unani Department of Hamdard University
Aap ke college me addmisation karna hai B.U.M.S me mera 12th me 57.08% hai kay mera addmisation ho sakta hai.
We have not any colleges. However, for admission in BUMS the eligibility of the course is that one should pass 12th standard with minimum 50% marks in aggregate in physics, chemistry and biology from a recognized college or university. Those candidates who have Urdu in their Intermediate exam are given preference.
Can I get admission in BUMS I have completed my Dpharmacy
The eligibility of the course is that one should pass 12th standard with minimum 50% marks in aggregate in physics, chemistry and biology from a recognized college or university. Those candidates who have Urdu in their Intermediate exam are given preference.
i have done alim Arabic with tib can i get admission in bums?
I wana tution in bums second year
ASSALAMU ALEKUM, SIR I AM INTRESSTED IN BUMS COURES BUT IAM PASS ONLY 10 TH CLASS AND INTER MEDIET UN COMPLETED PLEASE GIVE ME SOME IMFERMISSON BUMS COURSE
Assalamu alikum i am Ayesha I completed the 2 year. I got 88.2%.I want to become good doctor in village I am not very rich please give free seat.Allah Hafz
For this, you may contact to Jamia Hamdard.
Assalamu alikum sir…i completed my intermediate with 95%& i have urdu in my intermediate exams&i am also qualified in neet..can i get this course
Sir I have joined the BUMS for your coolage but online
Sir bums k bad USA ja sakte h kya
i am student in bangladesh ,i study in dums course ,now,i about know that diploma holder can apply bums coure. please informe me.
Is it equivalent to 12th Standard or Graduation.
i have intrest in this unani course but i not have that much knowledge .
plz give me some knowledge .i search in internet about this course . but i was not satisfied
One should pass 12th standard with minimum 50% marks in aggregate in physics, chemistry and biology from a recognized college or university. Those candidates who have Urdu in their Intermediate exam are given preference.
I’m from karnataka
I’ have done MD in pharmacology.
I want phd from out of india.
Anyone tell me.
I want admination bums 2019
Hi Sir mai Bsc under graduat Mahashtra stat pharmacy Diploma Dpharm pass hu I am registered pharmacist