With the favourable changing scenario around the world in economics and business, selecting the Commerce field as a career option is one of the best to grab. Commerce students are in high demand because of their high acquitances in business, trade, basics of economics, fiscal policies, industrial policies, share markets, stock markets, etc. Considering the burgeoning activity of the market, talented commerce graduates are needed to balance demand and supply.
Commerce Course Details
- After passing the 12th standard from Commerce stream from the recognised board, one may enrol for a Bachelor of Commerce (B. Com) degree. Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) is a full-time, three-year degree course.
- One can also pursue a Postgraduate course (M. Com) in Commerce. For this, one has to successfully pass the Bachelor of Commerce (B. Com) degree from a recognised University.
- During their course, the students must study the following branches of Commerce: Finance, Business Administration, Accountancy, E-Commerce, Economics, and Marketing.
Courses Available after 12th Commerce
- Chartered Accountancy
- Company Secretary
- Foreign Trade
- Stock Broking & Investment Analyst
Job-Oriented Career Options in Commerce
Gone are the days when a Bachelor in Commerce course offered two significant options: Accountancy and B.Com with Management.
However, with the industry’s requirements, some specialised disciplines are available in Commerce.
Students now can specialise in Bachelor in Accountancy and Finance (BAF), Bachelor in Banking and Insurance (BBI), and Bachelor in Financial Markets (BFM).
One can also get a good placement after completing the B.Com course and Advanced Diploma in Tourism and Travel Management.
After completing these courses, the graduates often have the opportunity of campus placements where salaries between 3.00 to 9.00 lakh are offered.
MA Degree in Commerce
Postgraduate in Commerce placed you in a better position than B.Com regarding the job market.
MA in Commerce provides you with a wide range of opportunities in the field, such as teaching, civil service exams, higher education, the banking sector, broking, research, actuarial sciences, financial institutions, and the domain of economics.
One can also pursue a PhD after completing an MA in Commerce for higher education and the teaching profession.
Better options are also available at Cost Accountants, Company Secretary and Chartered Accountants.
Career Prospects in Commerce
The career prospects in commerce and related fields, such as Banking, Chartered Accountancy, Company Secretary, Economics, Stock Broking, Cost Work, Accountancy, and Agricultural Economics, are incredibly bright. B.Com, Chartered Accountancy, or MBA will pay you to a more significant extent.
These degrees will organisations pay you to have a good position in public and private organizations.
You may also make your niche in financial engineering if you are ambitious and hardworking.
Choosing CA after the 12th is an exciting and challenging option.
After graduation in commerce, one can select M.Com, Business Economics, Finance Control, MA Economics, or MA operational and Research Statistics at the Postgraduate level.
Career Options in Commerce
- Accountant Executive
- Chartered Accountant
- Company secretary
- Cost Accountant
- Finance Analyst
- Finance Planner
- Finance Manager
- Finance Controller
- Finance Consultant
- Investment Analyst
- Stock Broker
- Portfolio Manager
- Tax Auditor
- Tax Consultant
Job Opportunity in Commerce
More or less, all organisations have financial managers, treasurers, controllers, credit managers, and other financial staff.
The door to both private and public organisations is open for commerce graduates.
They may work in this organisation as Managers, Auditors, Specialists, Consultants, Management Executives, Account executives, Junior accountants, and CAs .
Commerce graduates importance increases further after sea changes in various parameters of the economies worldwide.
These economies focus much more on mutual funds, stock markets, venture capital, insurance schemes, etc.
- Public Organisations
- Big Business houses/firms
- Small Business houses, firms
- Finance and Leasing
- The software industry, etc.
Salary in Commerce Field
To a more significant extent, the remuneration in commerce depends upon the area of specialisation and your institutions.
Salary starts at the entry-level level from 35 000-50 000.
Since the significance of business has increased manifolds in the Liberalization, Privatisation, and Globalization (LPG) era, experienced and knowledgeable candidates are getting handsome salaries.
Now, even the fresher earns an annual salary of more than five lacs.
The best ten colleges offer commerce courses
- Shri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC), Delhi
- Loyola College, Chennai
- St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata
- Presidency College, Chennai
- Symbiosis Society’s College of Arts & Commerce, Pune
- St. Joseph’s College, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee College of Commerce & Economics, Mumbai
- BM College of Commerce, Pune
- St. Xavier’s Mumbai
- College of Commerce, Patna
Best foreign universities for commerce
- London School of Economics
- Harvard University
- Cambridge University
- Stanford university
- The University of Melbourne
- National University of Singapore