Company Secretary acts as an adviser for legal issues in corporate organisations. They are one of the core members of the corporate set-up and play a vital role in corporate management, giving suggestions to directors of the concerned organisation on legal matters. They must bring more transparency in corporate governance affairs and ensure good corporate governance.
Company Secretary Courses
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) is the nodal institution to offer various courses. The following methods and examinations have to be successfully passed by a candidate to be a professional CS. The system consists of three stages after passing 10+2.
- The Foundation Course: This course is of 8 months duration, and its eligibility is 10+2 passed. The students of Arts, Science or Commerce can pursue it. Fine arts students can’t opt for it.
- The Intermediate Course: graduate except for the fine arts one.
- The Final Course: it can be pursued only by those candidates who successfully pass the executive course.
After completing these courses, practical training is required for about 15 months. To be part of ICSI and a professional member of the institute, one has to acquire a membership number from ICSI. ICSI is the only institute which is the only institute which offers this course and awards and designation of the company secretary.
Admission for the course is open throughout the year, and examinations are held in June and December. ICSI has 117 examination centres scattered across the country, including Dubai centres.
Company Secretary Course Fees
The course fees for different stages of a company secretary are nominal. The price for the Company Secretary Foundation Course is Rs 3600. The Intermediate Course or the Executive Programme is Rs 7,000 for commerce graduates and Rs 75 00 for the professional programme.
The head office of ICSI is in Delhi. It has four regional offices: Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and Kolkata. In addition, 36 chapters and ten satellite chapters are located nationwide.
Career Prospects in Company Secretary
After the era of globalisation, the Indian economy and corporate sector experienced drastic changes, resulting in increasing jobs like legal, finance, accounts, secretariat, and administrative. The company secretary’s role has become highly relevant to carry out these responsibilities effectively. Besides, in the private sector, the government sector is also employing CS. He is recruited for job profiles like Junior Secretarial Officer, Financial Adviser, Chairman, Managing Director, Board of Directors, etc.
Company Secretary Salary
Since the job of CS is demanding in the corporate world, remuneration for the experienced and hardworking person is the best in the market; the fresher, when joining as a junior secretarial officer, may be given Rs 20-25 thousand per month. When CS is raised as Financial Adviser, get a salary in lakhs. He receives a handsome package. Along with high remuneration, they are also getting several benefits like holidays with pay, insurance, credit for housing, transport facilities, sick leaves, and other perks.
Job Opportunities in Company Secretary
The job options and employment opportunities in the field of a company secretary are immense. The job options increase day by day due to multifarious functions post-LPG era. Job prospects are multiplying day by day. As per government ordinance, the company with more than Rs 2 crore paid-up share capital must recruit company secretary full-time. One can get placement in the government sector through the Indian Company Law Service. They are getting a job in an Indian Company. Law Service is a very lucrative career with many perks. University jobs as lecturers, readers and professors are also handsomely paid. Banks and financial institutions also hired CSS as a well-paid job. Private options are also available as tax consultants. They can give their expertise in capital markets and financial services. MNCs, BPOs, KPOs and abroad opportunities are also open to them.
What are the Qualities of Company Secretary?
- For the company secretary, the person should be dedicated to working.
- Communication should be effective with people of the concerned department to ensure that the organisation’s activities are legal, administratively and financially acceptable.
- He has to be up to date with the latest developments of relevant laws.
- CSs should be well-versed in finance, legal issues, accounting, taxation, and corporate social responsibility.
Jobs Prospects for Company Secretary
Company Secretaries are recruited at private, public, and abroad. Some of the crucial firms which are hiring these professionals are:
- Bigger corporate organisations
- Airport Authority of India
- Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML)
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited
- Bureau of Public Enterprises
- Government Financial Institution
- Stock Exchange