Unani medicine uses natural remedies and holistic approaches to promote health and treat various ailments, including itching. Itching, also known as “kandu” in Unani medicine, can be caused by multiple factors, such as skin disorders, allergies, or other underlying health issues. Here are some Unani remedies and approaches that may be used to alleviate itching:
Unani Medicine for Itching Treatment
- Neem (Azadirachta indica): Neem leaves and oil are commonly used in Unani medicine for their anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Neem can be applied topically to relieve itching and soothe the skin.
- Take the equal parts of Elva, Mur Makki and Boora Armani. Powder and mix these ingredients with an equal quantity of vinegar and honey. It should be applied to the affected part.
- Take an equal ratio of Vinegar and Rosewater. Mix it properly and apply it to the affected part.
- Take Saw dust of Sandal Surkh (3 grams), Unnab (5 numbers), Soaf (6 grams), Mundi (6 grams) and Maweez Munaqqa (7 digits).Method of preparation: Boil all these ingredients in 180 ml. water and sweeten with sugar. It may be taken twice a day.
- Take powdered Triphala (6 grams). Soak the powder in 120 ml. of water overnight and strain in the morning. It may be taken as such or by adding a little honey. The powder may also be taken with lukewarm water at bedtime.
- Take Kali Zeeri (3 grams) and Abhal (3 grams). Method of preparation: Boil in 180 ml. of water, reduce to half and strain. Take as such in the morning.
- Take Cow’s Milk (½ litre). Boil the milk, add a few drops of lemon juice, strain and separate the fluid. Take the liquid in the morning.
- Unripe Shahtoot in sufficient quantity. Grind with vinegar. Apply on the affected parts.
- Sandalwood (Chandan): Sandalwood paste is known for its cooling and soothing properties. It can be applied to the itchy areas to reduce irritation.
Unani medicines for itching
The following medicines can also be used to treat itching and skin-related problems.
- Jawarish Bisbasa (7 grams) at bedtime.
- Jawarish Jalinoos (6 grams) twice a day after meals.
- Jawarish Tamarhindi (7 grams) at bedtime.
- Unani medicine emphasises the importance of a balanced diet. Avoiding foods that are believed to increase heat in the body (e.g., spicy and fried foods) may be recommended to reduce itching.
- Foods with cooling properties, such as cucumber, watermelon, and yoghurt, may be suggested to soothe the body and alleviate itching.
Lifestyle and Hygiene
- Maintaining good personal hygiene is essential in Unani medicine to prevent and manage to itch.
- Wearing loose-fitting, breathable clothing can help reduce skin irritation.
- Avoiding excessive scratching is essential to prevent further damage to the skin.
Specific Unani Medicines for itching
- Depending on the underlying cause of itching, Unani practitioners may prescribe specific herbal formulations and medicines tailored to the individual’s condition.