What is immunity?
Immunity is defined as the ability to resist and to fight the different infections and diseases is called immunity. The main pillar of immunity is Antigen and Antibodies around which entire mechanism of immunity revolves. When immunity develops against a disease, then the body develop the ability to fight against the disease and resist the infections. The study of immunity and the ability to fight disease is called immunology. When immunity regrading various diseases are involved and studies, the discipline is called diagnostic immunology.
What is antigen?
The foreign material which enters the body through environment, which makes the condition to develop antibodies is called antigen. The antigen and antibody functioning becomes the main base of immunity.
What is Antibody?
Antibodies are protein substances, which develop due to some antigens in the presence of plasma and reacts with antigen. The cells, which produce antibodies are called immunocytes, which get affected through antigens and produce antibodies. Antibodies are develop due to viruses, bacteria, and other infection.
Types of immunity
There are two types of immunity.
- Active immunity: Active immunity means a man some internal reactions towards an antigen, through which various antibodies develop in the body. This acquired immunity is against a specific antigen. This means antibodies are reactive towards a specific pathogen.
- Passive immunity: This immunity is developed in one person’s body by introducing the antibodies of another person’s serum, into the body of that person. The immunity acquired is called passive artificial immunity.
10 wonder facts about immunity
- Stress affects immunity: Stress to a certain extent is good as it leads to the production of cortisol, which is good for the smooth functioning of the body. However, too much production of cortisol can lowers the immunity of the body.
- Frequent sleep deprivation makes one susceptible to diseases and infections thereby causes cough, colds and diseases related with virus and bacteria.
- If you are affected with allergy and showing the symptoms like running nose, sneezing, etc. it means it is showing that the immunity of the body is not in a good sound platform. At this stage, one should be cautious and should take needful action to overcome this.
- The happy quotients are good for immunity. If you are surrounded with positive vibes, less stressed along with balance diet, it means, you are maintaining or enhancing your immune system.
- If you are having fever and inflammation, it shows that the body is working to produce white blood cells, which prevents other microbes to attack the human system.
- Exposure to sun help to protect you from depression, certain cancer, strengthening of bones, heart diseases, etc. About 10 minutes of sun bath is good for the body system however too much exposure can cause skin cancer and also weaken the immune system.
- In Naturopathy science, laughter is consider as one of the best therapies and also one of the best medicine that ward off many diseases, especially the lifestyle disorders. Laughter releases dopamine that ensures to reduce stress. It also show positive impact on the smooth functioning of immune system.
- An autoimmune disease is a health issue when the body’s defenses mechanism become hyperactive, leading to attack its own cells. Autoimmune diseases leads to rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis. It is more common among women.
- The digestive tract of human body is having billions and trillions of healthy gut bacteria, which are good for digestion and formation of vitamins B and K. But research has also shown that our gut bacteria help our immune system and keep us healthy in various ways. These guts bacteria are good for gastrointestinal tract, immunity and prevent allergy too.
- The body cannot function without the immune system. If the immune system collapse, the body maybe surrounded with various diseases and conditions and ultimately facing severe health consequences.