What is menstrual pain?
Usr-e- Tams (Menstrual pain) is a medical condition characterized by severe uterine pain during menstruation. However, it is observed that in many cases females experience lesser pain during menstruation. During menstruation, the lady feels heaviness in the pelvic area, lower abdomen and pain in thighs, hips and backside. Nausea, vomiting, and restlessness are also observed in such conditions.
Types of menstrual pain (Usr-e- Tams)
- Usr-e- Tams Nazlawi ya Warami (Menstrual pain due to phlegmatic swelling): This type of menstrual pain observed due to phlegmatic swelling in uterus. This happens after delivery as the uterus does not return properly to its original position. Such type of pain is also common with obese women.
- Usr-e- Tams Tashannuji (Spasmodic menstrual pain): It is happened due to uterine spasm and generally seen with unmarried girls and characterized by severe pain.
- Usr-e- Tams Suddi(Obstructive menstrual pain): Such type of pain is observed due to small size of uterus.
- Usr-e- Tams Ibtedayee (Primary menstrual pain): It is seen with the adolescent girls who are experiencing menstruation for the first time and increase the flow of blood that causes congestion.
Menstrual pain factors
- Depression associated with an eating disorder
- Menarche at a young age
- Social disturbances
Menstrual pain and Unani philosophy
As per the different great Unani philosophers, exactly what’s happened during menstrual pain are being given below:
- Hippocrates: As per the great philosopher, menstrual pain (Usr-e- Tams) occurs due to stagnation of menstrual blood to cervical region.
- Shaikh-ur- Rayis bu Ali Sina: According to him, menstrual pain happens due to hump in the menstrual blood flow. He also mentioned that that irregular blood flow may cause diseases like amenorrhea and oligomenorrhoea.
- Hakim Ismaeel Jurjani: He mentioned that backache, uterus pain, pain in the abdomen and head are common during menstruation.
- Hakeem Ajmal khan: According to the great philosopher that menses stoppage either occurs since the beginning or happens after normal menstruation.
- Hassan Qarshi: He mentioned the patients may feel difficulty pain, uneasiness and severe pain as the days passes.
- Akber Arzani: As per him, backache is common during the menstruation.
Causes of menstrual pain (Usr-e- Tams)
- Weakness of uterus (Zo’f-e- Reham)
- Uterus displacement
- Fat accumulation in uterus
- Reproductive organ surgery
- Exposure to cold or use of cold products
- Wearing wet clothes for long duration
- Severe hemorrhage
- Excessive Intercourse
10 Unani medicine for menstrual pain (Usr-e- Tams)
- Take the mix of Heeng (500mg), Jaggery (6gm) in the morning for three to five days during menstrual period.
- Take 6 gram each of Mur Makki and Abhal. Boil these in 120 ml of water and strain. Now, take it in the morning for seven to ten days after menstruation has stopped.
- Take 6 gram each of Sonth, Baobarang and jaggery, boil it into 180 ml of water and strain. Take daily in the morning for seven to ten days after menstruation has stopped.
- Take 10 gram of Revand Chini. Make a fine powder of it. Take 500 mg of it twice daily for two weeks after the menstruation has stopped.
- The decoction of Apium graveolens and Zizyphora tenuior along with honey is recommended.
- The mix of Kushta faulad along with Dawaul misk motadil jawaher wali.
- Analgesic and antispasmodic drugs such as Juniperus communis, Cuscuta reflexa, Rauwolfia serpentina, Papaver somniferum and Allium sativum are used.
- The decoction of Ferula assafoetida along with Honey water is found to be beneficial.
- Drugs like Matricaria chamomilla, Artemesia vulgaris, Cichorium intybus, Solanum nigrum, Andropogon jawarancusa, Thymus vulgaris, Ferula foetida, Cinnemomum zeylanicum, and Cinnamomum camphora are advised in case of congestive menstrual pain.
- Drugs like Cassia fistula and Cordia dichotoma are also beneficial in case of painful menstruation.
10 Unani formulations for menstrual pain
- Habb-e- Mudirr
- Sharbat-e- Faulaad
- Safoof-e- Mudirr-e- Haiz
- Dawa-e- Mudirr-e- Haiz
- Dawa-e- Usr-e- Tams
- Roghan-e- Babunah
- Safoof-e- Muhazzil
- Tiryaq-e- Farooq
- Dawa-e- Mudirr
- Sharbat-e- Afsanteen
Unani diet for menstruation pain
- The soaked gram, baha ka shorba, safed baj, baize-e- murgh neem biryan ki zardi are advised.
- Diet rich in fibre and complex carbohydrates are helpful to ease abdominal cramps.
- Green vegetables should be preferred.
- Fish rich in Omega-3-fatty acids like salmon should be taken.
- Diet rich in Vitamin B Complex should be given weightage.
- Vegetable oils like sunflower, safflower oils and olive oils should be taken.
- Sprouted seeds, nuts, and whole grains are good.
- If the person is obese, utmost care should be taken. Homeopathic diet is recommended in the case of anemic patients.
- Light exercise (Halki riyaazat) and morning walk (Subh ki chahal qadmi) are also beneficial.
- The application of heat to the lower abdomen region is beneficial in the case of menstrual pain.