What is menstrual pain?
Usr-eTams (Menstrual pain) is a medical condition characterised by severe uterine pain during menstruation. However, it is observed that, in many cases, females experience lesser pain during menstruation. During menstruation, the lady feels heaviness in the pelvic area and lower abdomen and pain in the thighs, hips, and backside. Nausea, vomiting, and restlessness are also observed in such conditions.
Types of menstrual pain (Usr-e- Tams)
- Usr-e- Tams Nazlawi you Warami (Menstrual pain due to phlegmatic swelling): This type of menstrual pain is observed due to phlegmatic uterine swelling. This happens after delivery as the uterus does not return properly to its original position. Such kind of pain is also familiar with obese women.
- Usr-e- Tams Tashannuji (Spasmodic menstrual pain): It happens due to uterine spasms, is generally seen in unmarried girls, and is characterised by severe pain.
- Usr-e- Tams Suddi(Obstructive menstrual pain): Such type of pain is observed due to the small size of the uterus.
- Usr-e- Tams Ibtedayee (Primary menstrual pain): It is seen in adolescent girls who are experiencing menstruation for the first time and increases the flow of blood, causing congestion.
Menstrual pain factors
- Depression associated with an eating disorder
- Menarche at a young age
- Social disturbances
Menstrual pain and Unani philosophy
As per the different great Unani philosophers, precisely what happens during menstrual pain is given below:
- Hippocrates: As per the great philosopher, menstrual pain (Usr-e- Tams) occurs due to the stagnation of menstrual blood to the cervical region.
- Shaikh-ur- Rayis bu Ali Sina: According to him, menstrual pain happens due to a hump in the menstrual blood flow. He also mentioned that that irregular blood flow may cause diseases like amenorrhea and oligomenorrhoea.
- Hakim Ismaeel Jurjani: He mentioned that backache, uterus pain, and pain in the abdomen and head are common during menstruation.
- Hakeem Ajmal Khan: According to the great philosopher, menses stoppage either occurs from the beginning or happens after normal menstruation.
- Hassan Qarshi: He mentioned the patients may feel difficulty pain, uneasiness, and severe pain as the days pass.
- Akber Arzani: As per him, backache is common during menstruation.
Causes of menstrual pain (Usr-e- Tams)
- The weakness of the uterus (Zo’f-e- Reham)
- Uterus displacement
- Fat accumulation in the uterus
- Reproductive organ surgery
- Exposure to cold or use of cold products
- Wearing wet clothes for a long duration
- Severe hemorrhage
- Excessive Intercourse
10 Unani medicine for menstrual pain (Usr-e- Tams)
- Take the mix of Heeng (500mg) and Jaggery (6 mg) in the morning for three to five days during the menstrual period.
- Take 6 grams each of Mur Makki and Abhal. Boil these in 120 ml of water and strain. Now, please take it in the morning for seven to ten days after menstruation has stopped.
- Take 6 grams each of Sonth, Baobarang, and jaggery, boil it in 180 ml of water, and strain. Take daily in the morning for seven to ten days after menstruation has stopped.
- Take 10 grams of Revand Chini. Make a fine powder of it. Take 500 mg of it twice daily for two weeks after the menstruation has stopped.
- The decoction of Apium graveolens and Zizyphora tenuior, along with honey, is recommended.
- The mix of Kushta faulad along with Dawaul misk motadil jawaher wali.
- Analgesic and antispasmodic drugs such as Juniperus communis, Cuscuta reflexa, Rauwolfia serpentina, Papaver somniferum, and Allium sativum are used.
- The decoction of Ferula assafoetida along with Honey water is found to be beneficial.
- Drugs like Matricaria chamomilla, Artemesia Vulgaris, Cichorium intybus, Solanum nigrum, Andropogon jawarancusa, Thymus vulgaris, Ferula foetida, Cinnamomum zeylanicum, and Cinnamomum camphora are advised in case of congestive menstrual pain.
- Drugs like Cassia fistula and Cordia dichotoma are also beneficial in case of painful menstruation.
10 Unani formulations for menstrual pain
- Habb-e- Mudirr
- Sharbat-e- Faulaad
- Safoof-e- Mudirr-e- Haiz
- Dawa-e- Mudirr-e- Haiz
- Dawa-e- Usr-e- Tams
- Tiryaq-e- Farooq
- Dawa-e- Mudirr
- Sharbat-e- Afsanteen
Unani diet for menstruation pain
- The soaked gram, baha ka shorba, safed baj, baize-e- murgh neem biryan ki zardi are advised.
- A diet rich in fibre and complex carbohydrates helps ease abdominal cramps.
- Green vegetables should be preferred.
- Fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon, should be taken.
- A diet rich in Vitamin B Complex should be given weightage.
- Vegetable oils like sunflower, safflower, and olive should be taken.
- Sprouted seeds, nuts, and whole grains are good.
- If the person is obese, utmost care should be taken. A homoeopathic diet is recommended in the case of frail patients.
- Light exercise (Halki riyaazat) and morning walks (Subh ki chahal qadmi) are also beneficial.
- The application of heat to the lower abdomen region is beneficial in the case of menstrual pain.