Surya Namaskar meaning
Surya Namaskar consists of two words: Surya and Namaskar. Surya means Sun and Namaskar means salutation or worship. Thus it is the salutation to the Sun god. Sun salutation is one of the finest yoga modules for the overall development of the body, mind, and soul. Practicing this dynamic yoga exercise, which comprises 12 yoga postures, helps in physical, mental, spiritual, and social domains of health for the concerned practitioner. This wonderful practice revitalizes the whole body and an excellent source to extract the maximum benefits from subsequent asanas, pranayama, and meditation. It fresh and refresh all the body organs and body systems through stretching, toning compressing, harmonizing, and synchronizing of the body-mind complex. It can be practiced at any time of the day. It helps to restore vitality, excellent antidote for stress & depression thus greatly help to overcome emotional disturbances. Sun salutation is the single yoga exercise that impacts all the organ systems of the body. The main benefited systems of the body from this wonderful module are the digestive system, excretory system, circulatory system, respiratory system, endocrine system, nervous system, and skeleton system.
Best benefits of sun salutation
- Enhances skin beauty: One can perform San salutation for beauty, healthy and glowing skin. Surya Namaskar is an effective means of having beautiful skin and a fair complexion. The practice enables to the elimination of a sufficient amount of waste products through the skin. As it makes the person sweat profusely, which ensures the removal of accumulated toxins through the skin, thus preventing pimples and boils. The module results in increased perspiration thereby release toxins. This is an excellent method of acquiring a fresh and fair complexion.
- Prevents hair fall: There are many Yoga postures in Surya Namaskar that increase blood circulation to the scalp region. Yoga exercises like Parvatasana (mountain pose), Padhastasana (the forward bending pose) enhances blood supply to the head region thus give massage to the scalp thereby beneficial in the prevention of hair fall and greying of hair.
- Weight Loss: Sun salutation is an effective tool to shed extra calories. It is helpful to reduce tummy fat and good for a flat stomach. All the yoga poses of this module facilitate adequate stretching, twisting, and compressing of the entire body thus proves useful for a weight loss regime. This is a wonderful practice for those who are longing for weight loss thus has been a part of power yoga too.
- Improves digestion: This practice alternately stretched and compressed the body organs including the stomach. It imparts better massage to the digestive system and encourages it to work efficiently. By regular practice of this module helps to remove and prevent many diseases and disorders of the alimentary canal. It stimulates peristalsis of the intestines and removes waste products from the body.
- Smooth kidney functions: The practice gently massages the kidneys, increases their supply of blood as well as speeds up the circulation of blood throughout the body. Regular practice encouraged the kidney to work efficiently, which also leads to the filtration of blood through these organs.
- Good for heart: The practice increases the heartbeat and the working of the whole circulatory system. It is good to remove waste products from the body and ensures efficient human heart function. All the cells and tissues of the body receive fresh oxygen and nutrients that lead to the health and vitality of the body. It encourages the lymphatic system to work more prominently thus helps in combating germs, bacteria, and illness.
- Improves lungs function: The practice of this module helps in the optimum utilization of the lungs and the respiratory system. It appropriately expands and contracts the air sacs or alveoli of the lungs, prevents the building up of germs, and many diseases of the respiratory system. The lungs completely emptied from impure air and the brain gets fresh oxygen, which makes the person full of energy and vigor.
- Corrects hormonal imbalance: Surya Namaskar harmonizes the different endocrine glands thus helping to remove any irregularities of such glands, which further improve their blood flow.
- Tones the nerves and nervous system: It gently stretched, massaged, and stimulated the nerves of the entire body. The better health of the nerves determines the efficient working of organs and muscles of the body system. Surya Namaskar tones up all these muscles and nerves and awakens the brain centers.
- Helps in muscle loosening: It invigorates all the muscles of the body and offers intense stretching to the whole body. The expansion and contraction of muscles help in the redirection of impure blood to the kidney and the lungs. This is the best module for loosening muscles and removes stiffness from the body and considered the best possible exercise that seeks healthy living.