Saithalyasana imitates its name from animal like cat and dogs. These animals whenever sit like to fold their rear legs under its body and extend its front legs outward and often put their head between their stretching legs. This is they do so to make them relax and calm. Therefore, Saithalyasana is known for stress busting, anxiety and making oneself relax and calm. This asana is also known for meditation.
How to do saithalyasana: Animal relaxation pose steps
- First sit on the smooth floor with the legs stretching outward in front of the body.
- Bend the right leg and place the sole of the right foot inside of the left thigh so that the entire right leg to rest on the floor.
- Fold the left leg to the outside of the body so that the foot lies beside the left buttock.
- Place your hands besides right ankle.
- Now, inhale, slowly raise your arms upwards.
- Exhale, slowly bend forwards over the right knee and try to touch the forehead to the right knee.
- This is the final position. Breathe slowly and deeply.
- Maintain the position as long as you can.
Saithalyasana breathing and awareness
- Breathing should be synchronized with the body movements.
- After become mastery of the asana, keep your eyes close and try to focus on the body.
- In the final position, inhale and exhale slowly.
- While performing the asana, try to focus on the body parts, which are experiencing stretching, compressing, twisting and relaxation.
10 benefits of Saithalyasana
- Legs strengthening: It provides suitable stretch to the legs, thus good for legs strength.
- Healthy spine: It helps to provide suppleness to the spinal column, back and neck region.
- Massage internal organs: Practicing this asana ensures compression in the abdominal region thereby squeezing out stagnant and impure blood, thus encourages the efficiency of internal organs.
- Hip Joint: It is good for the health of Hip joint.
- Nervous system: It helps in the smooth functioning of nervous system.
- Pelvis: It appropriately stretches pelvis thus good for strengthening of pelvis and this.
- Constipation: It helps to relive constipation.
- Heart and lungs: It ensures proper oxygenation to heart and lungs thereby good for the health of these organs.
- Meditation: The asana is also suitable for meditation.
- Gastric juices: The proper uses of the yoga pose help to secrete gastric juices thereby make digestion smooth.
It shouldn’t be performed during the following conditions:
- Back ache
- Knee pain
- Abdominal injury
- Ardha Matsyendrasana
Follow up pose
- Supt Vajrasana
Important facts about Saithalyasana
- Perform this asana after warm up the body.
- Level: Basic
- Style: Vinyasa
- Duration: 10 seconds to 3 minutes
- Stretches: Legs, Abdomen, Lower back, Arms, pelvis, thighs, buttocks
- Strength: Back, legs, pelvis, digestive system
- Anatomical focus: Abdomen, thighs, hips, buttocks, pelvis