Saithalyasana imitates its name from animals, cats and dogs. These animals sometimes fold their rear legs under their body, extend their front legs outward, and often put their head between their stretching legs. This is what they do to make them relax and calm. Therefore, Saithalyasana is known for stress-busting, anxiety and making oneself relax and calm. This asana is also known for meditation.
How to do saithalyasana: Animal relaxation pose steps
- First, sit on the smooth floor with the legs stretching outward before the body.
- Bend the right leg and place the sole of the right foot inside the left thigh so that the entire right leg rests on the floor.
- Fold the left leg to the outside of the body so that the foot lies beside the left buttock.
- Place your hands beside the right ankle.
- Now, inhale slowly and raise your arms upwards.
- Exhale, slowly bend forward over the right knee and try to touch the forehead to the right knee.
- This is the final position. Breathe slowly and deeply.
- Maintain the position as long as you can.
Saithalyasana breathing and awareness
- Breathing should be synchronised with the body movements.
- After becoming master of the asana, keep your eyes closed and try to focus on the body.
- In the final position, inhale and exhale slowly.
- While performing the asana, focus on the body parts experiencing stretching, compressing, twisting, and relaxation.
10 benefits of Saithalyasana
Legs strengthening: It provides suitable stretch to the legs, thus good for leg strength.
- Healthy spine: It helps to provide suppleness to the spinal column, back, and neck region.
- Massage internal organs: Practicing this asana ensures compression in the abdominal region, squeezing out stagnant and impure blood, thus encouraging the efficiency of internal organs.
- Hip Joint: It is suitable for the health of the Hip joint.
- Nervous system: It helps in the smooth functioning of the nervous system.
- Pelvis: It appropriately stretches the pelvis, thus good for strengthening it.
- Constipation: It helps to relieve constipation.
- Heart and lungs: It ensures proper oxygenation to the heart and lungs, thereby good for the health of these organs.
- Meditation: The asana is also suitable for meditation.
- Gastric juices: The proper use of the yoga pose helps to secrete gastric juices, thereby making digestion smooth.
It shouldn’t be performed during the following conditions:
- Knee pain
- Abdominal injury
- Ardha Matsyendrasana
Follow up pose
- Supt Vajrasana
Important facts about Saithalyasana
- Perform this asana after warming up the body.
- Level: Basic
- Style: Vinyasa
- Duration: 10 seconds to 3 minutes
- Stretches: Legs, Abdomen, Lower back, Arms, pelvis, thighs, buttocks
- Strength: Back, legs, pelvis, digestive system
- Anatomical focus: Abdomen, thighs, hips, buttocks, pelvis