The winter has secretly given alarm of dipping temperature, dampen air amalgamated with pollutants. Common cold also invites many respiratory problems such as coughing, wheezing, sneezing, running nose, nasal congestion, throat irritation, and troubles breathing. All these common cold ailments are further exaggerated by increasing level of air pollutants in environment.
Common Cold Symptoms
There are many signs and symptoms of cold. Cold symptoms are worsening among elderly, children and people who are suffering from asthma, allergies, pulmonary diseases, and diabetes. Symptoms are also become chronic with obstructive pulmonary disease patients. Few of the important common cold symptoms are given below:
- Severe wheezing
- Chest pain
- Chest discomfort
- Yellow sputum
- Shortness of breath
- Nose congestion
- Body ache and muscle tone
- Eye irritation
- Watery eyes
- Nasal allergy
Common Cold Causes
Temperature drop along with increasing in the level of pollutants with the heavy presence of sulphur, nitrogen and carbon monoxide in the atmosphere are the favourable common cold reasons. The polluted air irritated the nasal passage and also causes inflammation. Viruses and bacteria too play pivotal roles in this infection. Viruses are present in nasal discharge of infected person or in his/her sputum that can spread to other person. Handshaking also spread the virus. If one gets attack cold, it may continue for 3 to 10 days. Some of the important common cold reasons are:
- Sudden exposure to cold
- Heavy pollutants and dampness in the air
- Sudden drop in temperature
- Corona viruses
- Virus transmission through air and cough
- Pollen, perfume, spray, animal dander, etc.
- Come in contact with infected person
- Common cold
- Various respiratory diseases
- Chronic Asthma
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Common Cold Precautions Tips
Changes in weather are not in people’s hand. So, utmost precautions should be taken while temperature fluctuates. Common cold can be prevented by taking some simple precautions. Here, are the list of cold precautions tips are given.
- Sudden cold exposure should be avoided. More and more precautions must be taken with children and old people. Aged people and children are most vulnerable group who infected to cold easily.
- Cold stuffs such as ice-cream, cold drinks, etc. shouldn’t be taken.
- Early morning and evening walk may be restricted at the initial onset of cold.
- Keep yourself warm by wearing warm lower, inner and socks.
- Warm bath should prefer.
- One should avoid fried foods, pickles, chutney, all sour recipes.
- Avoid heavy meals instead one should take meals at regular intervals.
- Fresh prepared food should be taken
- Regular and nutritious meals are important.
- Try to keep yourself away from infected common cold person.
- Touching your nose, eyes and mouth is should be avoided.
- Wash your hand frequently because hands act as suitable carrier for the virus.
- Kitchen, home, bathroom should be neat and clean. Disinfectant should be used while cleaning floors.
- Excessive cold or heat should be avoided.
Common Cold Prevention Tips
At the onset of cold if proper preventions are not taken, there is a greater probability in spurt of respiratory problems and infections. Cold airs leave you wheezing, sneezing, coughing and many other bronchial problems. Get the Top 13 prevention tips of cold are:
- Children and Elderly should be vaccinated against Pneumonia and flu.
- Steam inhalation.
- Yoga practices such as Pranayama, Jalneti, Sutraneti when practising regularly, prevent sinus congestion & mucus formation, cleanse the nasal passage and prevent cold inflammation.
- Vegetable soup is good in cold and low temperature conditions.
- To release phlegm, oilve oil can be used in nostrils.
- Ginger tea is highly beneficial in preventing of cold.
- Chewing Tulsi leaves is also effective.
- Hot spice tea is preferred.
- The mix of lemon, honey and glass of warm water if taken helps to fight cold.
- Eating the mix of honey and onion prevents cold.
- Taking lemon or lemon juice is beneficial in prevention of cold.
- Garlic is also helpful to prevent cold, so, one should take garlic soup
- Using pure mustard oil in your nostrils with your fingers just after bath is highly beneficial in prevention of cold and cold related illnesses.
Common Cold Remedies and Natural Treatment
Cold can be treated naturally. There are many natural treatment methods, which prevent and control cold. Herbal and home remedies are also helpful in fighting against cold, sneezing, wheezing, respiratory problems etc.
Regular practices of Yoga are helpful in prevention and controlling of common cold. Pranayama helps to open nasal passage, clear sinuses, facilitate breathing and eases chest congestion. Yogic Kriyas such as Jalneti and Sutraneti help to cleanse the nasal passage and remove mucus from sinuses. Taking vegetable soup and drinking the mix of water and lemon are also beneficial in overcoming cold. Eating the mix of honey and ginger (1 or 2 tsp) twice a day is helpful in treating cold. Taking the combination of cinnamon, pepper and honey lessens throat inflammation. Homeopathic medicine such as Aconite napellus, Allium cepa, Arsenicum album, Belladonna, Bryonia, and Ferrum phosphoricum are helpful in prevention of cold. The mix of honey and lemon (1 tsp of each) with lukewarm water are effective home remedy in the treatment of cold. Eating of onion and honey is good in controlling of cold. To prevent recurrence of cold, it is suggested that one should use the mix of gooseberry juice and ginger (1 tsp each). At day time, one may also take the mix of black pepper, curd and sugar.
Old People Vulnerable to Cold
Old people are extremely vulnerable to common cold. During winter, the immune system gets weaken. On the other hand, dipping in temperature, cold triggers many respiratory problems and illnesses especially become problematic to asthma and bronchitis people. In winter more elderly deaths are reported as blood vessels are constricted, which increases the cardio-vascular risk and one of the important factors of old people death. Cold winter also reduces the flow of oxygen to the heart due to lesser expansion of arteries that may lead to heart failures, and generally seen with aged people. Diabetic and cancer patients are also vulnerable to cold season. So, it is advisable to get vaccinated and consult your doctor at the onset of cold.
- Common Cold Homoeopathy Treatment
- Ayurvedic Treatments for Cold and Cough
- Defeat Cold by Basil Hot Beverage
- Beat Cold by Ginger Tea