Natarajasana, or Lord of the dance yoga, takes its name from the god Shiva-the, the lord of dancers. Natarajasana is a Sanskrit word that means Nata-dance, Raja-King, Asana- indicates yoga pose. It is pronounced as nut-ah-raj-ahs-anna.
Top 10 facts of Natarajasana
- Its advanced yogasana
- Style is vinyasa
- Initially, it should be maintained for 10 seconds, and gradually, time may be increased per own capacity.
- It provides stretching from toes to fingers, i.e. shoulder, thighs, abdomen, groin, etc.
- It strengthens legs, ankles, wrists, and elbows.
- It is lord Shiva yoga.
- It is also called king dancer yoga.
- It gives a feeling of invigoration
- It prevents obesity.
- The pose is graceful.
How to do Nataraj asana
- First of all, one should stand erect.
- Raise the leg, bend it at the knee, and take it as high as possible behind the back. However, do as per your capacity. Don’t take more strain while raising the leg.
- Now, raise both hands, take them back and hold the toes of the raised foot with both hands above the head as high as possible.
- Keep your head erect and look at the front.
- Maintain the pose as long as you can.
- Return to the original position.
- The same thing happens with another leg.
- It completes one round.
- Try to do 2-3 rounds initially.
- Weight loss: This is one of the few poses which helps reduce fat from the entire body. If you are eager to make your body slim and fit, practice yoga regularly. On the other hand, it also boosts your metabolic rate, which helps in fat shedding.
- Concentration: It helps to improve concentration.
- Strengthens legs: The practice of this asana helps to make your legs and arms stronger.
- Prevent calcium deposition: It prevents calcium deposition in the shoulders and brain.
- Balance body: The practice of this asana is good for balancing the body.
- Strengthens the ankle: It strengthens your ankles, chest, and hips.
- Abdominal organs: It gives the proper stretch to the abdominal organs. Thus, it is suitable for digestion.
- Flexibility: If you want to increase your body flexibility, this is one of the best yoga poses.
- Stress: It helps to reduce stress and develop your stamina.
- Heart: The practice of the lord of the dance pose is beneficial for heart health.
Yoga helps in practising Natarajasana
Natarajasana is a balancing & advanced yoga that needs more concentration and flexibility to become a master of it. Practising some yoga poses is helpful in the perfection of the lord of the dance pose. The preparatory pose are: adho mukhasana, dhanurasana, hunumanasana, virbhadrasana, vrksasana, garudasana, etc.
Some of the few contraindications of the yoga pose are:
- Low blood pressure: Don’t do this yoga with low blood pressure.
- Balancing: Performing this yoga, balancing is of utmost importance.
- It is better if one practices it before a yoga expert.
- Avoid excessive stretching.