Natarajasana or Lord of the dance yoga takes its name from god Shiva-the lord of dancers. Natarajasana is a sanskrit word means Nata-dance, Raja-King, Asana- indicates yoga pose. It is pronounced as nut-ah-raj-ahs-anna.
Top 10 facts of natarajasana
- Its advanced yogasana
- Style is vinyasa
- Initially, it should maintain for 10 seconds, and gradually time may be incresed as per own capacity.
- It provodes stretching from toes to fingers i.e. shoulder, thighs, abdomen, groin, etc.
- It gives strength to legs, ankles, writs, elbows.
- It is lord Shiva yoga.
- It is also called king dancer yoga.
- It gives a feeling of invigoration
- It prevents obesity.
- The pose is of grace nature.
Image courtesy: pixabay.com
How to do natarajasana
- First of all one should stand erect.
- Raise either the leg; bend it at the knee; and take it behind the back as high as possible. However, do as per own capacity. Don’t take more strain while raising the leg.
- Now, raise both the hands up, take them backwards and hold toes of the raised foot with both hands above the head as high as possible.
- Keep your head erect and look at the front.
- Maintain the pose as long as you can do.
- Return to the original position.
- Same thing do with another leg.
- It completes one round.
- Try to do 2-3 rounds initially.
- Weight loss: This is one of few poses, which helps in reducing fat from the entire body. If you are eager to make your body slim and fit, practice the yoga on regular basis. On the other hand, it also boosts your metabolic rate, which helps in fat shedding.
- Concentration: It helps to improve concentration.
- Strengthens legs: The practice of this asana helps to make your legs and arms stronger.
- Prevent calcium deposition: It ensures prevention of calcium deposition in shoulders and brain.
- Balance body: The practice of this asana is good for balancing of the body.
- Strengthens ankle: It makes your ankles, chest and hips stronger.
- Abdominal organs: It gives proper stretch to the abdominal organs. Thus good for digestion.
- Flexibility: If you want to increase your body flexibility, this is one of the best yoga poses.
- Stress: It helps to reduce stress and develop your stamina.
- Heart: The practice of lord of the dance pose is beneficial for heart health.
Yoga helps in practicing of natarajasana
Natarajasana is a balancing & advanced yoga, needs more concentration and flexibility to become master of it. But practicing of some yoga poses is helpful in the perfection of lord of the dance pose. The preparatory pose are: adho mukhasana, dhanurasana, hunumanasana, virbhadrasana, vrksasana, garudasana, etc.
Some of the few contraindications of the yoga pose are:
- Low blood pressure: Don’t do this yoga if you are having low blood pressure.
- Balancing: Performing this yoga, balancing is utmost important.
- It is better if one practice it before a yoga expert.
- Avoid excessive stretching.