Why Yoga for diabetes
Yoga is the best cost-effective solution to control and manage diabetes. Yoga acts on diabetes from various fronts. Some yoga poses like Sirsasana, pranayama, and meditation directly work upon pituitary glands and instruct the master glands to work in cohesion with the pancreas. There are yoga asanas, which control the smooth flow of blood. Some yoga poses like Ardha Matsyendrasana, Bhujangasana, Dhanurasana, Mayurasana directly work for the better health of the pancreas.
Top Yoga asanas for diabetes
1. Sirsasana (Headstand pose: Sirsasana is one of the best yoga poses to manage and control both type 1 & type 2 diabetes. In fact, it is the single yoga poses which have the ability to control not only diabetes but also all the hormonal related problems in the body. The headstand pose enhances the blood flow towards the head region and stimulates the Pituitary gland, a master endocrine gland to control all the hormonal changes in the body. The secretion of too much diabetogenic hormone due to the master gland leads to type 2 diabetes. It stimulates the islet beta cells of the pancreas to secrete the appropriate quantity of insulin to maintain the optimum level of glucose in the body. To get the best benefits of this asana, knowing its steps is important.
2. Half Spinal Twist Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana): Ardha matsyendrasana alternately compressed and stretched the organs including the pancreas. The compression being partly applied by the pressure of the thigh against the abdomen. This gives the organ a good massage, recirculates impure blood, and tones up the pancreas and its associated cells. The cells, especially the beta one gets activated and helps in glycogen conversion from glucose. How to do the half spinal twist yoga pose is the question now and better to know its steps now.
3. Bhujangasana( Cobra pose): Bhujangasana stimulates and massages the pancreas thus helps in the proper functioning of the gland. The cobra pose and its variations allow more blood to circulate in the body region including the pancreas. The increased amount of blood flow makes the organ healthy and enhances its vitality, which further helps in the efficiency of Beta cells. Know the simple steps how to perform Cobra pose.
4. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose): The Bow pose is toned up the pancreas and stimulates this endocrine gland to secrete the correct amount of glucagon and insulin at the right time. This process helps to proper glucose metabolism thus maintain the required sugar levels in the blood. Get the details steps and technique here.
5. Mayurasana(Peacock asana): The peacock pose is quite effective in controlling and management of sugar in the blood. The advanced yoga asana directly stimulates the metabolic process and give the diabetic person relief.
How to do Mayurasana
The different simple steps of Mayurasana are given below:
- Sit in Vajrasana. Open the knees and come to the kneeling position by placing the knees on the floor.
- Bend forward, stretch out the fingers of your hands and place the palms on the ground.
- Bend the elbows keeping forearms together. Place elbows gently on either side of the navel with chest resting on the back of upper arms.
- Keep the legs together.
- The weight of the body on hands and wrists, raise the legs from the floor.
- Stretch the head and trunk forward.
- Maintain this position as long as comfortable.
- In the final position, body remains parallel to the ground with legs stretched out and feet together.
- Come back by lowering the head; place the knees on the floor and then legs on the ground.
6. Surya Namaskar for diabetes prevention
Surya Namaskar(Sun Salutation) harmonizes the pancreas helping to remove any irregularities by directly massaging the gland and improving its blood flow. Imbalance of it is maybe caused by tension and stress. Surya Namaskar can help to remove the deeper cause of the hormonal malfunction if it is supplemented by other yoga practices.
7. Yoga Bandha for diabetes
Uddiyan Bandha pulls the abdominal organs inside and upward position which creates an upward flow of prana. Uddiyan Bandha is good for the overall functions of hormonal glands. It improves blood circulation in the trunk and strengthens all internal organs. All abdominal organs are toned, massaged, and strengthened thus helpful in curing diabetes, digestion, constipation, indigestion, etc.
Steps for Uddiyan Bandha
- Sit comfortably in Padmasana
- Place both the palms on the knees.
- Exhale completely through mouth as well as nose.
- Hold the breath out.
- Pull abdominal muscles up and inside towards the spine.
- Retain the breath outside as long as one can do.
- Raise the head.
- Inhale slowly and release the abdominal muscles and return to the normal position.
- Perform 3-4 times initially.
8. Kapalbhati activates the pancreas
Kapalbhati, a kind of breathing exercise is known as the frontal brain cleansing process. The powerful breathing yogic exercise has the power to rejuvenate the skull including the hypothalamus and pituitary gland. It invigorates the entire brain and awakens the dormant centers in the brain. The forced and prolonged exhalation in Kapalbhati increases decompression of the fluid and expansion of the brain and enhances the massaging effect on the brain. It stimulates nerves in the abdominal region; massages abdominal organs including the pancreas thus overall show a good impact in the management of diabetes.
How to do Kapalbhati
- Sit in a meditative posture with eyes closed
- Inhale deeply through both nostrils expanding the abdomen and exhale with a forceful contraction of the abdominal muscles.
- Since now, inhalation is passive and without effort.
- The breathing must be of the bellows’ type.
- Repeat this exercise rapidly several times.
- While doing this exercise, the abdomen should distend and contract.
9. Pranayama for diabetes management
Pranayama regulates the functioning of endocrine glands. Pranayama when performed with bandhas, they regulate the functioning of these glands. Pranayama rejuvenates pituitary and pineal glands especially. It activates and invigorates the liver, spleen, pancreas, and abdominal muscles; and improves digestion. All the pranayamas directly or indirectly control the functions of endocrine glands particularly the pituitary gland. However, the two pranayamas, especially Bhastrika and Anulom Vilom are very very important in managing sugar in the blood. Bhastrika Pranayama( Bellows Pranayama) improves digestion and helps to enhance the overall function of the body.
10. Meditation to reverse diabetes
Meditation aids overall in lessening the signs and symptoms of Diabetes. Meditation is the finest form of relaxation that provides cool, calm, peace, and serenity to the mind, the body of the soul. It is one of the wonderful modalities to control and manage all types of diseases and disorders. It affects the endocrine glands effectively and has big say on the overall function of the pituitary gland which indirectly regulates the pancreas.
2 thoughts on “List of 10 Best Yoga Poses, Asanas and Exercises for Diabetes Control”
This is a great article. thanks for sharing great information about cure diabetes. i will follow your tips.
Its very usefull for diabetic peolpe and early precautin.