What is Bridge pose yoga?
Setu Bandhasana or Bridge pose yoga, is an essential yoga pose with multiple health benefits. It is also one of the relaxation yoga because doing yogasanas; one may feel back strain. It is beneficial to give soothing stretching in your back. So, you can practice this pose with other yoga asanas. It is also known as Bridge yoga, as the body takes the shape of a bridge in the final position. It is good for your entire spine and problems related to ENT (Eye, Nose, and Throat).
5 Steps of doing Bridge pose yoga Procedure
Let’s know how to perform Setu Bandhasana step by step. Here, the different steps have been explained systematically, pictorially, and scientifically with the correct technique of Bridge pose. Each step has been elaborated with the help of the right course of Yoga pose so that maximum benefits can be achieved after performing even by a layperson.
- Lie down as Shavasana with 10 inches gap between your legs.
- Arms should be on the sides of your thighs.
- Fold your knees.
- Clasp your ankle with your palms or
- Bring your palms towards your ankle.
- Inhale; raise your back as much as you can.
- Maintain the pose as long as you can.
- Exhale, bring your back down.
- You can also be on your toes by raising the heels.
- It is more beneficial for the problems of your back and neck.
- This step is also called Eka Pada Setu Bandhasana
- Do Setu Bandhasana step 3.
- Inhale, raise the right leg at 90 degrees, exhale, and bring it down slowly.
- Do the same with the left leg.
Top 10 benefits of bridge pose yoga
Setu Bandhasana yoga for thyroid treatment: It gives appropriate massage to the thyroid gland, helping to release thyroid hormone (thyroxine), making your thyroid gland healthy and effective.
- Bridge poses yoga for weight management: It regulates your metabolism reactions in the body, thus checking to balance your weight.
- Setu Bandhasana yoga for hair: This yogasana is good for the overall health of your hair by suitably enriching oxygen levels in your hair follicles and regions.
- Bridge pose yoga for depression: It gives a soothing massage to your entire vertebral column, finely acting on your nerves below the spine. This mechanism helps to elevate your mood, acts as a mood elevator, and ensures better coordination between your body and mind. The yoga pose is also good for your nervous system. Due to its calming effect on the brain, it becomes helpful in reducing stress, depression, and anxiety.
- Setu Bandhasana yoga for facial skin: It makes your skin glow by supplying more oxygen to the facial region suitably. It invigorates the cells of the face and is fresh and refreshing.
- Bridge pose yoga for back pain: This asana provides the spine with a suitable stretch, which helps relieve backache and is also beneficial for neck pain.
- Setu Bandhasana yoga for tennis elbow: Many people suffer from tennis elbow problems. This yoga gives appropriate stretch on the elbow region and acts as a pain reliever for the elbow.
- Bridge pose yoga for digestion: Regular practice of this yoga facilitates the secretion of gastric juices from gastric glands, which in turn helps in treating constipation, indigestion, and problems related to stomach disorders. It is helpful for colon health as it stretches and massages the abdominal organs, especially the colon.
- Setu Bandhasana yoga for asthma: It is suitable for asthmatic patients as it helps expand your lung region, thereby preventing respiratory congestion.
- Bridge pose yoga for weak legs: Regular practice of this asana and maintaining the same for a suitable period helps strengthen your weak legs. It also makes your buttocks stronger
Bridge pose precautions and contradictions
One shouldn’t perform this yoga while having the following health conditions.
- Severe neck pain
- Back injury
- Acute knee pain
- Shoulder injury
- Don’t turn your head right or left while performing the Bridge pose.
- On depression, perform before an experienced yoga therapist.
- Elbow injury