What is Bridge pose yoga?
Setu Bandhasana or Bridge pose yoga is one of the important yoga poses which has multiple health benefits. It is also one of the relaxation yoga because doing yogasanas, one may feel back stain. It is beneficial to give soothing stretching in your back. Thus, you may practice this yoga pose between other yogasanas. It is also known as Bridge yoga as the body takes the shape of a bridge in the final position. It is good for your entire spine as well as problems related with ENT (Eye, Nose and Throat).
Bridge pose yoga step by step
Let’s know how to perform Setu Bandhasana step by step. Here, the different steps have been explained with correct technique of Bridge pose systematically, pictorially and scientifically. Each step has been elaborated with the help of right technique of Yoga pose so that maximum benefits can be achieved after performing even by a lay man.
Setu Bandhasana step 1
- Lie down as Shavasana with 10 inches gap between your legs.
- Arms should be on the sides of your thighs.
Setu Bandhasana step 2
- Fold your knees.
- Clasp your ankle with your palms or
- Bring your palms towards your ankle.
Setu Bandhasana step 3
- Inhale; raise your back as possible as you can.
- Maintain the pose as long as you can.
- Exhale, bring your back down.
Setu Bandhasana step 4
- You can also be on toes by raising the heels.
- It is more beneficial for the problems of your back and neck.
Setu Bandhasana step 5
This step is also called Eka Pada Setu Bandhasana
- Do Setu Bandhasana step 3.
- Inhale, raise the right leg at 90 degree, exhale, bring it down slowly.
- Do the same with left leg.
Top 10 benefits of bridge pose yoga
- Setu Bandhasana yoga for thyroid treatment: It gives appropriate massage to the thyroid gland thereby helps releasing thyroid hormone (thyroxine), which in turn makes your thyroid gland healthy and effective.
- Bridge pose yoga for weight management: It regulates your metabolism reactions in the body thus checks balancing your weight.
- Setu Bandhasana yoga for hair: This yogasana is good for overall health of your hair by suitably enriching oxygen level in your hair follicles and regions.
- Bridge pose yoga for depression: It gives soothing massage your entire vertebral column, which in turn also finely acts on your nerves lying below the spine. This mechanism helps to elevate your mood, acts as a mood elevator and ensures better coordination between your body and mind. The yoga pose is also good for your nervous system. Due to its calming effect to the brain, becomes helpful in reducing stress, depression and anxiety.
- Setu Bandhasana yoga for facial skin: It makes your skin glow by suitably supplying more oxygen to the facial region. It invigorates the cells of the face and it fresh and refresh.
- Bridge pose yoga for back pain: This asana provides the spine a suitable stretch, which is helpful in relieving back ache and also beneficial for neck pain.
- Setu Bandhasana yoga for tennis elbow: A large number of people are suffering from tennis elbow problems. This yoga gives appropriate stretch on the elbow region and acts as a pain reliever from elbow.
- Bridge pose yoga for digestion: Regular practice of this yoga facilitates the secretion of gastric juices from gastric glands, which in turn helps in treating of constipation, indigestion and problems related with stomach disorders. It is useful for colon health as it stretches and massages to the abdominal organs, especially the colon.
- Setu Bandhasana yoga for asthma: It is good for asthmatic patients as it helps in expanding your lungs region thereby preventing you from respiratory congestion.
- Bridge pose yoga for weak legs: Regular practice of this asana and maintaining the same for a suitable period of time helps in strengthening your weak legs. It also makes your buttocks stronger
Bridge pose precautions and contradictions
One shouldn’t perform this yoga while having the following health conditions.
- Sever neck pain
- Back injury
- Acute knee pain
- Shoulder injury
- Don’t turn your head right or left while performing Bridge pose.
- On depression, perform before an experienced yoga therapist.
- Elbow injury