What is ADHD
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurobehavioral developmental disorder generally seen with children before seven years and characterized by Hyper activeness, Impulsiveness, and Inattention. It affects nearly one in 10 school-aged children
The role of alternative medicine in the remedial measures of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is commendable. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) like Yoga, Ayurveda, Naturopathy, Homeopathy, Unani, Siddha, Diet, etc. has treatment remedy in curing this disorder. Home remedies, prevention, and precautions are also important aspects of the treatment of this condition. Parenting tips related to ADHD is also one of the good methods to cure the disorder as the child requires special needs.
Symptoms and Signs of ADHD
- Easily distractible
- Careless mistakes in school homework
- Hardly give to close attention to detail
- Reluctant to involve in school work
- Failing o finish a task
- Appears not heading to listening
- Difficulty to concentrate
- Take instruction aimlessly
- Difficulty in organizing its own work
- Missing of necessary things in common
- Failing to remember daily activities
- Failed to concentrate on the task
- Trouble in organizing activities
- Skip mental related work
- Inability to begin an activity
- Miss details and confused easily
- Having problems in the processing information
Hyperactivity Symptoms of ADHD
- Inability to sit still, especially dung dinner, lunch, and school
- Restless sleep
- Roam aimlessly
- Dangerous mounting
- Widespread business
- Talk uninterruptedly
- Playing with everything and anything around
Impulsivity Symptoms of ADHD
- Act without knowing the gravity of consequences
- Switching from one work to another
- Unorganized features
- The tendency to interrupt while others are taking
- Often interrupts
Causes of ADHD
- Genes have a greater role in the disease
- Smoking and Alcohol during pregnancy
- Passive smoking in kids
- Exposure to lead at the early stage of life
- Brain injuries
- Nutrition disorders
- Social environment
- Refine sugar may also make the condition worse
- Food additives like artificial colors or preservatives (sodium benzoate)
- Pesticides exposure increases the risk of the disease
- Abnormalities in dopaminergic and noradrenergic systems
- Pregnancy complication premature birth contributed to it
- Emotional abuse and aggression in the childhood phase
- Viral and bacterial infection
- Post Traumatic Stress
- Internationally adopted children develop symptoms like this
Complications of ADHD
- Sleep disorders
- Conduct disorders-injury, substance abuse, etc.
- Emotional disorders
- Aggressive behavior
- Hostile and defiant behavior
- Generally struggle in the classroom
- Prone to injuries and accidents
- Interaction problems with peers
- More chances of drug abused
- Learning disabilities
- Compulsive muscular or vocal tics.
Risk Factors of ADHD
- An inherited tendency/ Hereditary
- Mother exposure to toxin i.e. lead
- Alcohol, drugs, and cigarettes during pregnancy
- Premature birth
- Mental health condition
- Brain chemicals
- Learning disabilities
- Male are more prone
- Food allergies and food sensitiveness
Tests and Diagnosis of ADHD
The Doctors/Specialists may ask or examine the following things:-
- Find a comprehensive family history
- Try to get a thorough medical history
- Conduct a physical test
- Order neurological exam
- Have an inclusive interview with parents/ child/child’s teacher
- Supervise your child during play
- An IQ test is also recommended
Yoga for ADHD management
Yoga Therapy, a refreshing process, tries to find out the very root cause of diseases by restoring and rejuvenating the mechanism of body, mind, and soul. Yoga treats ADHD through contending stress hormone and by lowering psychological and psychophysical distress thereby provide calm and peace. Thus, it is a motivating way to stay cool and feel stress-free by doing yoga. Observing the child behavior and ADHD treatment, special education should also be arranged.
- Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) stimulates both sides of the brain thereby helps in learning and assist brain integration.
- Pranayama calm the senses decreases hyperactivity and impulsivity and enhances concentration.
- Yoga Nidra acts on the subconscious level to bring about a state of homeostasis in the body and mind.
- Vrikshasana helps to improve the concentration and balance the mental status.
- Shyambhavi Mudra-improves concentration and focusing power besides stilling the mind.
- Meditation positively reduces stress, anxiety, and depression by moving out negative thought thus calms both mind and body.
- Meditation also decreases impulsivity.
- Satwik food increases spiritual and constructive wisdom.
- Tratak improves concentration and helps to open up mind faculties.
- Sirsasana improves coordination and helps organize and enhances the function of the brain.
- Halasana and relaxation yoga helps to manage ADHD.
Ayurveda remedy for ADHD
Ayurveda treats ADHD by using herbs and its combinations, and also through the preventive mode of Yoga. Ayurvedic herbal components are used as home remedies in the treatment of it. Ayurveda enhances mental ability, learning disorders, behavioral therapy through natural techniques. The alternative cure has a solution for the defiant teen and ADHD children. Ayurvedic cure and remedies for the disorder show fruitful results when combining with Yoga. Here, a few of the natural treatments and remedial measures are given.
- Centella Asiatica helps in consciousness and significantly increases mental abilities, used as a natural remedy.
- Medhya Rasayanas calms the mind in stressful situations. It is good for problem-solving ability, retention, and recall. It is a useful herbal remedy.
- A high protein diet along with fruits and vegetables enhances mental potential.
- Blueberry due to its antioxidant property is good for brain development.
- Give more rest to the mind by sleeping.
- Genuine routine for meals, bed, and walk, have a stabilizing effect.
- Therapy with basil, orange blossom calms the patient and may be applied as Ayurvedic treatment.
- Take Soy milk + cinnamon before going to bed to have nice results in the morning.
- Ayurvedic herbs like Brahmi are used to treat depression and anxiety and also protect brain cells thereby treat such patients.
- Shankhapushpi and Jatamansi act as nerve tonics and soothe the mind too.
- Triphala helps to feel calm.
- Roots of Asghwagandha neutralize the effects of stress and promote overall well-being.
- Bacopa helps sharpen mental function and clarity.
- Clarocet is useful who is suffering from depression, sleep difficulties, and mental stress.
- Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina) is used to reduce hyperactivity.
Homeopathy medicine for ADHD
Homeopathy considers and treats the child as a whole and tries to find out the root cause of the disease. Homeopathic medicine has in-built power to reduce hyperactivity, restlessness, and impulsivity in ADHD children. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder finds hopeful treatment with homeopathy. Homeopathy is a safe therapy for such children who are suffering from behavioral disorders and mental disorders. The disease is common in developed countries. Homeopath doctors are getting positive results in such cases. Few of the homeopathic treatments and remedies are given here:
- Tuberculinum is given to those children who are very impatient and get bored easily.
- Stramonium prepared from thorn apple leaves is prescribed who has fears, restless, over-energetic, fits of rage, and terror at night.
- For a restless and hurried child, medicine like tarentula hispanica may be taken.
- Cina helps improve the attention span.
- Aconite is given who has fears and sweating at night.
- Anacardium is indicated to isolation and anxiety.
- Argentum nitricum is prescribed for aggressive children.
- Aranea ixabola is useful for disobeying, mischievous, and teasing children.
- Aurum metallicum used with children who act like adults.
- Note: The information mentioned above is for knowledge purposes. Readers are advised to contact a doctor/expert/specialist.
Best diet for ADHD
- Diet and ADHD discuss how to minimize the symptoms of the disorder. It also clears that diet aggravates the condition too.
- Through a balanced diet, the condition may be better controlled.
- Favor more vegetarian meals of warm, cooked vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and fresh dairy products.
- Take protein foods in the morning to improve concentration.
- Prefer fresh fruit juice to a cold one.
- High-protein foods (eggs, lean meats, nuts, fruits, etc.) keep blood sugar levels stable and optimized brain function too.
- Additive-free organic foods minimized the symptoms.
- An omega-3 fatty acid found in flaxseed and fish helps in minimizing symptoms.
- Multi-vitamins and minerals rich foods also given on a regular basis.
- Eating complex carbohydrates (Oranges, pears, apples, and grapefruits) at night aid sleep.
- Eating high protein foods like beans, eggs, especially for the breakfast, is very effective.
- The child should provide plenty of water as the brain is made up of about 90%.
Vitamins and minerals for ADHD
- Vitamin B6 – good for the proper function of the nervous system.
- Iron – lack of iron may lead to attention-deficit or hyperactivity.
- Magnesium is related to quotient development.
- Phosphatidylserine ameliorates symptoms of the condition.
- Glycine is vital for a proper nervous system function.
Prevention and precautions for ADHD
- Limit TV time and Video games.
- Avoid fishes that are high in mercury i.e. shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish.
- The child should keep away from the cold.
- Processed food should not be as a food form.
- Avoid dairy products.
- Fried foods, snacks, packed food, junk food should be avoided.
- Minimized the intake of soft drinks.
- Stay away from foods with chemicals, pesticides, or additives.
- Avoid sugary and processed foods.
- Avoid refrigerated foods.
- Trigger foods are artificial red, blue, and yellow dyes.
- Lesser weightage should be given to candy, corn syrup, honey, sugar, products made from white flour, white rice, etc.
- Always preferred homemade food.
- Caffeine rich food should be avoided.