What is ADHD
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurobehavioral developmental disorder generally seen in children before seven years and characterised by hyperactivity, impulsivity, and Inattention. It affects nearly one in 10 school-aged children.
The role of alternative medicine in the remedial measures of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is commendable. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM), like Yoga, Ayurveda, Naturopathy, Homeopathy, Unani, Siddha, Diet, etc., has treatment remedies for curing this disorder. Home remedies, prevention, and precautions are essential to treating this condition. Parenting tips related to ADHD are suitable and also one of the promising methods to cure the disorder as the child requires special needs.
Symptoms and Signs of ADHD
- Easily distractible
- Careless mistakes in school homework
- Hardly give too close attention to detail
- Reluctant to be involved in schoolwork
- Failing to finish a task
- Appears not heading to listening
- Difficulty to concentrate
- Take instruction aimlessly
- Difficulty in organising its work
- Missing necessary things in common
- Failing to remember daily activities
- Failed to concentrate on the task
- Trouble in organising activities
- Skip mentally related work
- Inability to begin an activity
- Miss details and get confused easily
- Having problems in the processing information
Hyperactivity Symptoms of ADHD
- Inability to sit still, especially during dinner, lunch, and school
- Restless sleep
- Roam aimlessly
- Dangerous mounting
- Widespread business
- Talk uninterruptedly
- Playing with everything and anything around
Impulsivity Symptoms of ADHD
- Act without knowing the gravity of the consequences
- Switching from one work to another
- Unorganized features
- The tendency to interrupt while others are taking
- Often interrupts
Causes of ADHD
- Genes have a more significant role in the disease
- Smoking and Alcohol during pregnancy
- Passive smoking in kids
- Exposure to lead at the early stage of life
- Brain injuries
- Nutrition disorders
- Social environment
- Refine sugar may also make the condition worse
- Food additives like artificial colours or preservatives (sodium benzoate)
- Pesticide exposure increases the risk of the disease
- Abnormalities in dopaminergic and noradrenergic systems
- Pregnancy complications and premature birth contributed to it
- Emotional abuse and aggression in the childhood phase
- Viral and bacterial infection
- Post Traumatic Stress
- Internationally adopted children develop symptoms like this
Complications of ADHD
- Sleep disorders
- Conduct disorders-injury, substance abuse, etc.
- Emotional disorders
- Aggressive behaviour
- Hostile and defiant behavior
- Generally struggle in the classroom
- Prone to injuries and accidents
- Interaction problems with peers
- More chances of drug abuse
- Learning disabilities
- Compulsive muscular or vocal tics.
Risk Factors of ADHD
- An inherited tendency/ Hereditary
- Mother exposure to toxins, i.e. lead
- Alcohol, drugs, and cigarettes during pregnancy
- Premature birth
- Mental health condition
- Brain chemicals
- Learning disabilities
- Males are more prone
- Food allergies and food sensitiveness
Tests and Diagnosis of ADHD
The Doctors/Specialists may ask or examine the following things:-
- Find a comprehensive family history
- Try to get a thorough medical history
- Conduct a physical test
- Order a neurological exam
- Have an inclusive interview with parents/ child/child’s teacher
- Supervise your child during play
- An IQ test is also recommended
Yoga for ADHD treatment
Yoga Therapy, a refreshing process, tries to discover the root cause of diseases by restoring and rejuvenating the mechanism of body, mind, and soul. Yoga treats ADHD through contending stress hormones and lowers psychological and psychophysical distress, providing calm and peace. Thus, it is a motivating way to stay calm and feel stress-free by doing yoga. Observing the child’s behaviour and ADHD treatment, special education should also be arranged.
- Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) stimulates both sides of the brain, helping in learning and assisting brain integration.
- Pranayama calm the senses, decreases hyperactivity and impulsivity, and enhances concentration.
- Yoga Nidra acts subconsciously to bring about a state of homeostasis in the body and mind.
- Vrikshasana helps to improve concentration and balance the mental status.
- Shyambhavi Mudra- improves concentration and focusing power besides stilling the mind.
- Meditation positively reduces stress, anxiety, and depression by moving out negative thoughts, thus calming both mind and body.
- Meditation also decreases impulsivity.
- Satwik food increases spiritual and constructive wisdom.
- Tratak improves concentration and helps to open up mind faculties.
- Sirsasana improves coordination and helps organise and enhance the function of the brain.
- Halasana and relaxation yoga helps to manage ADHD.
Ayurveda remedy for ADHD
Ayurveda treats ADHD using herbs and their combinations and through the preventive mode of Yoga. Ayurvedic herbal components are used as home remedies in the treatment of it. Through natural techniques, Ayurveda enhances mental ability, learning disorders, and behavioural therapy. The alternative cure has a solution for the defiant teen and ADHD children. Ayurvedic medicine and remedies for the disease show fruitful results when combined with Yoga. Here, a few of the natural treatments and remedial measures are given.
- Centella Asiatica helps in consciousness and significantly increases mental abilities, used as a natural remedy.
- Medhya Rasayanas calms the mind in stressful situations. It is suitable for problem-solving ability, retention, and recall. It is a proper herbal remedy.
- A high protein diet along with fruits and vegetables enhances mental potential.
- Blueberry, due to its antioxidant properties, is suitable for brain development.
- Give more rest to the mind by sleeping.
- Genuine routine for meals, bed, and walk, have a stabilising effect.
- Therapy with basil orange blossom calms the patient and may be applied as Ayurvedic treatment.
- Take Soy milk + cinnamon before bed to have excellent results in the morning.
- Ayurvedic herbs like Brahmi are used to treat depression and anxiety and protect brain cells, thereby treating such patients.
- Shankhapushpi and Jatamansi act as nerve tonics and soothe the mind.
- Triphala helps to feel calm.
- Roots of Ashwagandha neutralise the effects of stress and promote overall well-being.
- Bacopa helps sharpen mental function and clarity.
- Clarocet is helpful for depression, sleep difficulties, and mental stress.
- Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina) is used to reduce hyperactivity.
Homeopathy medicines for ADHD
Homoeopathy considers and treats the child as a whole and tries to discover the disease’s root cause. Homeopathic medicine has the built-in power to reduce hyperactivity, restlessness, and impulsivity in ADHD children. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder finds hopeful treatment with homeopathy. Homoeopathy is a safe therapy for children suffering from behavioural and mental disorders. The disease is common in developed countries. Homeopath doctors are getting positive results in such cases. A few of the homoeopathic treatments and remedies are given here:
- Tuberculinum is given to those children who are very impatient and easily bored.
- Stramonium prepared from thorn apple leaves is prescribed for those who have fears, are restless, over-energetic, and have fits of rage and terror at night.
- For a restless and hurried child, medicine like tarantula hispanica may be taken.
- Cina helps improve the attention span.
- Aconite is given to those who have fears and are sweating at night.
- Anacardium is indicated to isolation and anxiety.
- Argentum nitricum is prescribed for aggressive children.
- Aranea ixabola is useful for disobeying, mischievous, and teasing children.
- Aurum metallicum is used with children who act like adults.
- Note: The information mentioned above is for knowledge purposes. Readers are advised to contact a doctor/expert/specialist.
The best diet for ADHD
- Diet and ADHD discuss how to minimise the symptoms of the disorder. It also shows that diet aggravates the condition.
- Through a balanced diet, the condition may be better controlled.
- Favor more vegetarian meals of warm, cooked vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and fresh dairy products.
- Take protein foods in the morning to improve concentration.
- Prefer fresh fruit juice to a cold one.
- High-protein foods (eggs, lean meats, nuts, fruits, etc.) also keep blood sugar levels stable and optimise brain function.
- Additive-free organic foods minimised the symptoms.
- An omega-3 fatty acid found in flaxseed and fish helps minimise symptoms.
- Multi-vitamins and minerals-rich foods are also given regularly.
- Eating complex carbohydrates (Oranges, pears, apples, and grapefruits) at night aids sleep.
- Eating high-protein foods like beans and eggs, especially for breakfast, is very effective.
- The child should provide plenty of water as the brain comprises about 90%.
Vitamins and minerals for ADHD
- Vitamin B6 – good for the proper function of the nervous system.
- Iron – lack of iron may lead to attention-deficit or hyperactivity.
- Magnesium is related to quotient development.
- Phosphatidylserine alleviates symptoms of the condition.
- Glycine is vital for proper nervous system function.
Prevention and precautions for ADHD
- Limit TV time and Video games.
- Avoid fishes high in mercury, i.e. shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish.
- The child should keep away from the cold.
- Processed food should not be in a food form.
- Avoid dairy products.
- Fried foods, snacks, packed food, and junk food should be avoided.
- Minimized the intake of soft drinks.
- Stay away from foods with chemicals, pesticides, or additives.
- Avoid sugary and processed foods.
- Avoid refrigerated foods.
- Trigger foods are artificial red, blue, and yellow dyes.
- Lesser weightage should be given to candy, corn syrup, honey, sugar, products made from white flour, white rice, etc.
- Always preferred homemade food.
- Caffeine-rich food should be avoided.