Baby massage is a very important natural therapy for the proper growth of the baby’s muscles, nerves, and bones, in fact, the entire baby body.
baby massage, baby massage steps, baby massage tips, baby massage benefits, baby massage techniques
What is baby massage?
Baby massage is a natural therapeutic therapy, which is of utmost importance for the baby’s health and growth. It may be done both traditionally or scientifically but the condition is that the masseur should be an expert and know the steps and techniques of the same very well. Here, the masseur uses selected herbal oil and does delicate massaging to strengthen the bones and the body. Sesame or medicated oil is considered the best oil for massage. Ayurvedic massage is quite popular in the Indian subcontinent. Massaging gives a soothing effect to the baby.
When to begin baby massage
The ideal time to start baby massage is passing of at least 30 days. Though there is no such a hard and fast rule to begin a baby massage, yet it should be started after completing one month as the baby’s skin barrier is not properly developed before one month to become water-resistant. By this time umbilical cord also sheds away as it is sensitive to infections. The navel also becomes dried and the skin starts responding to touch.
Best time for baby massage
The best time for baby massage is the morning hour after feeding. Massaging should be started after at least 40 minutes of feeding. There are many benefits of morning massage as the baby can get Vitamin D if they have taken in the sunlight. Though, it can be done at any time keeping in mind the feeding interval as discussed. It is better to do massaging before the bath to prevent oil accumulation in the body.
10 amazing benefits of baby massage
- Baby massage is a very important natural therapy for the proper growth of muscles, nerves, and bones. In fact, for the overall development of the entire baby body, it is one of the utmost important components.
- Baby massage helps to make the body, bones, muscles, and organs stronger.
- By strengthening the body, it helps to improve the immunity system and resistance power.
- It is a sort of passive exercise and good for baby growth.
- Doing it on regular basis helps to control digestion and gas formation.
- After the massage, the baby takes sound sleep as it is an important relaxation technique for infants.
- It enhances blood circulation by stimulating the nerves and muscles of the body.
- It helps to stimulate various internal physiological and biological functions of the body.
- It also helps to maintain and regulates normal body temperature.
- It prevents colic, which is quite common with infants.
Best oil for baby massage
Those oils should be used for baby massage, which are 100% safe and without any side effects.
- Sesame oil
- Medicated oil
- Any edible oil
- Coconut oil
- Shea butter with coconut oil
- YL Seedlings
How to do baby massage: steps and techniques?
Massage may be done traditionally or scientifically by a masseur. It may be done better by women masseur. Traditional massage is being done in India by women masseur since ancient time because of its effectiveness for baby health.
How to start baby massage?
Separate technique are used for different baby body parts.
- Massaging should be done with enough oil with the help of soft hands.
- Massaging should be light and easy.
- It is better to moves hands or fingers from top to bottom.
- For the skull, massage should be done very carefully and delicately as many bones are not joined properly. The skull massage should be done by putting an adequate quantity of oil on the anterior fontanel.
- Gentle and light massage should be done on the abdomen, chest, forehead, cheek, eyes, nose, hands, legs, fingers, etc by putting the baby in the supine position (back area).
- While massaging the legs and hands, a little bit of stretching and rubbing should be done.
- Back massage is comparatively easy. Even though, it should be done gently along with herbal and ayurvedic oil.
Wonder baby massage tips
- If the baby is not responding to massage and show irritation, it is better to skip it.
- Massaging should be light, gentle, and delicate preferably by a masseur.
- Massaging shouldn’t be done in and around the genitals.
- It should be done with a jovial face to make the baby more responsive and cooperative.
- After massaging, the oil should be wiped away to prevent its ingestion through fingers, hands, or toes.
- There should a fixed time for a massage so that to make a routine with the baby’s cycle.
Baby massage precautions
- The baby should be given a bath after 20-30 minutes so that oil gets to absorb and body temperature normalize.
- It is better to use lukewarm water for baths.
- After the bath, body dryness should be done on priority.
- It is advisable to use calamus powder on the body and head so to check cough and cold as it is dry in nature.
- Massaging shouldn’t be done on the face.
- It is better to skip the massage at the top of the head.
- Deep massage is undesirable.
- Massaging time should be short and simple.
- Massage shouldn’t be done if the baby shows some sort of uneasiness.