Dandruff is a condition which affects the head portion and produces white flakes in hair and on clothing. It does not cause hair loss. If white flakes persist for a long time, the person may experience symptoms of seborrhea, psoriasis, or eczema. Alternative medicine plays a vital role in the remedial measures of the condition. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) like Yoga, Ayurveda, Naturopathy, Homeopathy, Unani, Siddha, diet, etc. has effective solutions. Home remedies, prevention and precautions are also important aspects in curing of it.
Some important symptoms and signs of the condition are being given below:
- Scaling of skin in the form of white and snowflakes
- Peeling scalp may be observed on shoulder and clothes
- Scalp itching that leads to redness
- Red blisters on the scalp
- Dry facial skin
- Eyebrow and ears rashes
- Dandruff in Eyebrow, ears,
- White flakes on dark clothes is the dominant symptom
- Dry skin gradually convert into it
- Psoriasis-excessive flaking
- Seborrheic dermatitis-inflamed skin
- Presence of fungus malassezia that thrives on the skin oil
- Unhygienic scalp
- Dry skin
- Mental stress and skin problem
- Excessive use of shampoo
- Hair treatments through different chemicals i.e. lotions
- It prone to winter season
- Hormonal and immune factors
- Red and oily skin
- Oily scalp
- Certain skin disorders
- Head injury
- Psoriasis-layer of dead skin cells
- Cradle cap
- Poor immune system
- Chronic illness
- Hormonal imbalance
- Allergic hypersensitive
- Excessive consumption of fat, starch, sugar
- Excessive junk food
- Psoriasis and eczema patients may get dandruff
- Person suffering from Parkinson’s disease, heart attack, strokes and with weak immune system are more prone to dandruff.
The condition hardly shows any complications. It may happen due to some form of Shampoos or other chemical.
- If a product showing adverse reaction your head, stop it immediately.
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis may cause infection.
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis may spread pus and redness.
Dandruff risk factors
Certain illnesses like Parkinson’s disease, AIDS, Eczema, psoriasis etc. are like to develop the condition.
- Highly acidic and alkaline shampoo may be responsible for it.
- Male are more prone due to some greasy substance produced by scalp.
- Oily hair is more susceptible.
- Powerful chemical may cause it.
- Young adults are more prone to white flakes.
- Unbalanced diet and nutritional deficiencies.
- Stress and fatigue
- Non brushing of hair
- Unavailability of sunlight
Dandruff tests and diagnosis
- For seborrhoeic dermatitis, the doctor looks at red rash on your skin
- The doctor can ask you about duration and harshness of symptoms
- Examine the scalp to know about any white flakes
- The doctor also requires about Psoriasis and Fungal infection.
Yoga for dandruff control
Stress is one of the main reasons for this condition. To contend stress, anti-dandruff agent is hardly effective. However, Yoga has effective remedy for the problems. Treating and cures of it through yoga and Yogasana is prevalent since a long time.
- Shirshasana is a good yoga pose that enhances blood circulation to head and brain thereby nourishes the scalp with necessary nutrients.
- Sarvangasna improve blood circulation to head.
- Paschimottasana control hair fall and slow down ageing too.
- Chakrasana helps to solve the problems of scalp and supply more oxygen to head.
- Chinmudra circulates oxygen throughout the body.
- Matsyasana prevent greying and falling of hair.
- Surya Namaskara (Salutation to the sun) is quite effective.
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama manages it.
- Meditation is one of the best techniques to control stress and anxiety as these two factors aggravates the condition.
Naturopathy dandruff remedy
- Massage of the scalp is quite effective in controlling of the white flakes.
- Massage with herbal oil is very effective prevention measure.
Ayurveda treatment for dandruff
Ayurveda, being a holistic medicine, is a useful natural remedy for white flakes treatment, grey of hair, baldness and hair fall. Lots of Ayurvedic herbs are available that can be used as Ayurvedic medicines for this condition treatments and remedies.
- Scalp massage with sesame oil helps in removing this. It is a good herbal remedy for it.
- Fenugreek seeds help in improving the condition thus a natural cure agent for it.
- Use of ash gourds seeds regularly is effective for its management.
- Apply a paste of neem leaves and wash it after 30 minutes to cure from it. It is an effective natural remedy for this condition.
- Rosemary rejuvenates the scalp thereby stop white flakes.
- Green gram powder is also useful.
- Ayurvedic medicines like Dudurpatradi Tailam, Gandhaka Rasayana, Brihat Haridra, Khand, etc. may be used after consultation from the doctor.
- Massage your head with Aloe Vera and leave for 10 minutes to have good result.
- For good hair white flakes treatment, Alfalfa show good result.
- Alfalfa + Carrots + Lettuce control it.
- Apply a paste of Methi seeds for good result.
- Application of Indian hemp reduces it.
- Mixture of Coconut oil + Camphor helps to check it.
- Mix of lemon juice + coconut oil to check the problem.
- Mix a spoon of Caster oil, Mustard oil and Coconut oil and apply it on your scalp.
- Rub the scalp with the mix of lime juice + pure vinegar followed by egg wash.
- Massage the scalp with the pest of Tulsi leaves + Amla powder + Water. Left for 30 minutes and wash it slowly to ward off it.
- Egg Shampoo of 2-3 eggs is also quite effective.
- For good result, apply the oil of Neelibringadhi or triphaladhi or kayyunyathi after bath.
Homeopathy cure for dandruff
Homeopathic medicine is helpful in curing of the condition. Few of the important homeopathic treatments and remedy are given below.
- Sepia- is recommended with oily and moist scalp which is associated with white flakes.
- Graphite is preferred with scaly, itching and moist scalp.
- Arsenicum- is suggested when the scalp is dry, sensitive and intolerable itching.
- Natrum mur- is given when the scalp has thin hair that is surrounded by crust.
- Sulphur is beneficial in case of acute condition.
- Thuja is helpful when the scalp is covered with white scaly flakes.
- Sanicula for white flakes.
- Psorinum is used when the white flakes is associated with smell and stink.
- Phosphorous is advisable with red and itching scalp.
- In severe cases, use Mezerium.
- When itching is predominant, one should to take Ammonium Mur.
- Calcarea Sul and Kali Sul are very effective.
Top dandruff care
- Avoid sweet, oily and junk food.
- Always use light hand whenever you brush your scalp.
- Eat balanced and nourishing diet.
- Accessories like straightening hair, dryers, gel etc. should be avoided.
- Wash your scalp properly so to remove flakes agents.
- Avoid more oil and oily product on scalp.
- Practice relaxation and meditation.
- Covered your scalp to avoid from harsh conditions.
- Powerful chemicals in the form of shampoo should be skipped.
- Follow the natural treatments or home remedies.
Best diet for dandruff
- Balance diet like Vitamin B-complex, high proteinus food, whole grains, whole pulses should be given high priority.
- Take about 8-10 glasses of water for protection of your scalp.
- Reduced the quantity of fatty, junk and fried foods.
- Use profusely yogurt as it antagonist of yeast.
Easy home remedies for dandruff
Homemade remedies for this condition are safe, easy, cost-effective and can be made at home without any hassle. Here is the list of natural home remedy and treatments for white flakes are:
- Manage stress and tension naturally as these worsen the symptoms.
- Massage with tree oil is extremely beneficial and a good home-made remedy.
- Herbal as well as good shampoo prevents it.
- Rinse the mix of cider vinegar + water on the scalp to control and cure it.
- Massage the scalp with 1 tsp of lemon juice + 2 tsp of vinegar before washing your hair with egg.
- Wrap your head with clean towel after massaging the head with wheat germ oil.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel on your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes before washing. It is a good solution.
- Apply the paste of Methi seeds + yogurt and left it overnight before washing of olive oil for 10 days helps to check the condition.
- Massage your scalp with warm coconut oil and wash it in the morning for good result.
- Hair wash with Methi seed prevent it. Methi seed should be kept in water overnight then use the paste on the scalp.
- Washing hair with lime juice + water helps to overcome.
- Rub your scalp with coconut oil + rosemary oil. In the morning, wash the scalp with warm lemon juice water.
- Massage the scalp with the mix of egg + water and leave it for 10 minutes before washing it through warm water.
- Use the mix of lime juice +Amla juice on your scalp at night and wash it in the morning.
- Rub the paste of tea tree oil +olive oil over your scalp and wash it after 30 minutes.
- Use the mix of tea leaves + lime water after washing your hair to say good bye to dandruff for formation.
- Apply the solution of sandalwood oil + lemon juice in the ratio of 1:3 and wash it after 30 minutes.
- Apply the mix of coconut oil + lime juice over your scalp to ward off it.
- Application of mustard oil + lime juice is quiet effective.
- Massage of Neem oil is effective both for white flakes and psoriasis.
- Rub the mix of almond oil + olive oil on your scalp.
- Simply, application of coconut oil on the scalp is common treatment.
- Apply the paste of Amla + Bhringraj to keep away from the condition.
- Use of lemon on head is a common remedy.
- Good soap is also recommended to avoid the problems.
- Massage of boil beet root is good.
- Apply the solution of green gram powder + curd twice a week.
- Massage with the juice of snakegourd over the scalp.
- Rub your scalp with curd to have positive result.
- Apply the solution of thyme leaves to cure it.
- Bath with hot stream to prevent the problem.
- Apply the mix of camphor and coconut.
- Vitamin E oil is also quite beneficial.
Top dandruff prevention
Some of the best prevention and precautions measures for white flakes are:
- Balanced and nourishing diet prevents the condition.
- Brush and comb should be clean on regular basis.
- Regular wash and combing prevent it.
- Cleanliness of combs should be given utmost importance.
- Clean your scalp regularly to avoid a layer of dead cells.
- Washing hair with strong shampoo should be avoided.
- Fried, Junk and heavy fatty food should be avoided.
- Balanced and nourishing diet is preferred.
- Give more weightage to fruits and vegetables.
- Dandruff is reduced with low GI diet.
- It is difficult to prevent in case of dominancy of Skin Yeast , increased sebaceous gland production and hormonal disorders.
- Excessive stress deteriorates the condition.
- Adequate sunlight is essential.
- Avoid hair sprays, gels and irritating shampoo or soaps.