Bridge pose (Setu Bandhasana) meaning
Bridge pose is one of best yoga poses which is helpful in the treatment of thyroid, back pain, neck pain, problems related to the nervous system, and many more. Setu Bandhasana is a Sanskrit name where it indicates towards the bridge. The word is divided into two parts: Setu means bridge whereas Bandha shows lock or bind. Since it resembles to bridge hence known as bridge formation pose. This comes under topsy-turvy asana groups. It works upon the spine and nerves thus good for body and mind. It enhances the flexibility of the back and ensures smooth backbends.
How to do bridge pose (Setu Bandhasana)
The simple steps and technique to practice this yoga pose are given below:
- First, lie down as Shavasana.
- Bent your knees on the yoga mat and clasp your ankle with your palms.
- The distance between the feet should shoulder apart.
- Inhale, raise your back as possible as you can.
- Maintain the pose intially for 10 seconds. The duration can be increased with practice . Do slow inhaling and exhaling.
- Bring your back down with a deep exhale and have a rest.
- Repeat this process 3 to 5 times.
Top benefits of bridge pose (Setu Bandhasana)
The bridge pose has so many important health benefits. Some of the important benefits of this topsy-turvy yoga asana are being mentioned below:
- Thyroid treatment: Providing appropriate stretch on the back leads to suitable massage to the neck. In fact, it helps to regulate the functions of the thyroid gland thereby helpful in releasing thyroxin hormone.
- Relieves back pain: This asana provides the spine with a backward movement and correct stretching, which is helpful in easing backache and strengthens the back.
- Good for neck pain: The yoga pose removes strain from the neck.
- Good for tennis elbow: If one raises one’s back by holding his ankle, it exerts effective stretch on the elbow and may be helpful in the treatment of tennis elbow.
- Healthy nervous system: Since this asana gives a healthy and flexible spine thus good for the better health of the nervous system.
- Good for mind and body: The yoga posture provides good health to nerves, which indirectly controls the smooth coordination of body and mind.
- Massage the Colon: It facilitates suitable stretches and massages to the abdominal organs, especially the colon.
- Good for brain: It has a calming effect on the brain thus helpful in reducing stress, depression, and anxiety.
- Enhance digestion: It improves digestion.
- Osteoporosis: It is also suggested to those who have to have the problems of Osteoporosis.
- Good for asthma: It enlarges the horizon of the chest and shoulder while performing. Accordingly, works upon the expansion of the lungs.
- Strengthens buttocks: This asana is effective in making the buttocks stronger.
- Menopause Problems: It helps to ease out the problems related to menopause.
- Strengthens legs: The pose is good for weak and tired legs.
Variation of Setu Bandhasana
Eka Pada Setu Bandhasana
Eka means one and pada means the foot. These are the variations of setu bandhasana.
The first one has to take the pose of Setu Bandhasana. With inhale, raise the right leg at 90 degrees. Maintain the pose for 20-30 seconds and bring it to the surface. Perform the same procedure with the left leg. This is one round. Perform 3-5 rounds in the initial stage.
Bridge pose (Setu Bandhasana) precautions
There are some side effects and contraindications related to this pose
- One shouldn’t perform this pose if suffering from neck pain.
- In back injury, it should be avoided.
- Skip the yoga pose if one having knee pain.
- Avoid it during a shoulder injury.
- Avoid turning your head right or left while you are in the pose.