Allergy is a hyperactive response of the immune system to particular substances called allergens. These allergens may be food, pollen, dust, drugs, molds, air-borne, dog, cat, mushroom, soy, gluten, etc. Sometimes, it may be for short times or continue for longer periods. The form of allergy may be from simple to life threatening. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)-Yoga, Naturopathy, Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Diet, Home remedy, Unani and Siddha, have greater role in the control and management of this disorder.
The important signs and symptoms of this disorder is given below.
- Skin’s itching
- Itchy mouth during swallowing of foods
- rash formation at the point of scratching
- Lips inflammation
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Itching of eyes
- Losing consciousness and dizziness
- Mental confusion
- Irregular heartbeat
- Breathing problems
- Sneezing and wheezing
- Nasal congestion
- Anaphylaxis-quick response to allergen by the body
- Throat tightness
Causes of allergy
- Infectious diseases at childhood
- Food allergies to peanuts, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts, and walnuts etc.
- Latex sensitivity
- Swelling (edema)
- Abdominal cramps
- Shrimp and crab meat
- Foods trigger allergy i.e. eggs, milk, wheat, soy, peanuts and fish
- Bronchial disorders
- Allergic rhinitis
- Hay fever
- Anaphylactic shock and eczema
Allergy risk factors
- Bottle-fed babies
- Allergen exposure at childhood
- Birth coincides with pollen season
- Mother or father suffered with nasal congestion
- Premature birth
- High exposure to allergens- molds spores, dust mites, animal dander, etc.
- Allergy to one food may become the risk of another one.
- Infants are more susceptible
Test and Diagnosis of Allergy
When environmental measures, drugs and medication fail to control this problem, it is better suggested to consult a physician.
- Upper endoscopy
- Skin Test for allergy
- Blood test for allergies-RAST and ELISA
- Food allergy testing
- Patient interview by the doctor regarding food, reaction time, sickness etc.
- Physical examination by a doctor that includes personal and family history and symptoms triggers.
Yoga for allergy control
- Neti like Jal Neti and Sutra Neti reduce allergy symptoms.
- Matsyasana (the fish pose) is a good asana for those people who suffer from asthma, bronchitis and other lungs ailment thereby relieves congestion.
- Sarvangasana (the shoulder stand pose) helps in clearing of exchange of gases through the nasal passage.
- Tadasana (the palm tree pose) improves concentration of mind and develop sense of balance.
- Padhastasana (the foot hand pose) improves concentration and helps to decongest the nose.
- Trikonasana (triangular stretch pose) systematically revitalizes the entire body.
- Padmasana (the lotus pose) induces mental calmness and helps to bring about physical health and mental equilibrium on permanent basis.
- Bhujangasana( the cobra pose) expands the chest more than usual, helping to improve one’s breathing.
- Paschitmoasana (the fierce or powerful pose) tones all the abdominal organs, including the liver, pancreas, spleen, kidney and adrenal glands thus helps to mental calmness.
- Pavan Muktasana( the wind releasing pose) relieves from abdominal ailments associated with malfunctioning of inefficient organs.
- Kapalbhati (frontal brain bellowing) makes the nasal passage clean.
- Pranayama control nasal condition effectively.
- Nadishodhana Pranayama helps to remove congestion or blockage of the Nadis thereby allow the free flow of Prana.
- Anulom Vinolum Pranayama develops consciousness, mental calmness and ease nasal congestion.
- Surya Namaskar energizes the entire neuro-glandular and neuro-muscular system of the body.
Top Ayurveda treatment for allergy
Ayurvedic remedies are effective to manage and treat different forms of allergies. If you are depressed due to acuteness of allergens; herbal supplements, Ayurvedic herbal supplements and Ayurvedic medicine may be given as allergic treatment. Ayurvedic treatments are known natural remedy that not only provide relief, yet boost the immune system. Allergic management through Ayurveda is not a new concept, though Ayurveda as an herbal remedy is getting recognition all over the world. The Ayurvedic approach on allergies is to combat all forms of the condition without any side effects. The following Ayurvedic medicines and simple Ayurvedic suggestions are good for the problems.
- Easily digested food is prescribed for allergic person.
- Through Ayurvedic knowledge, stress and anxiety can be minimized to a greater extent.
- Disciplined lifestyle
- Herbal oil massage also shows good result.
- Panchkarma a wonderful natural Ayurvedic cure for different allergies.
- Ginger root tea is beneficial for respiratory and skin conditions
Homeopathy medicines for allergy
Homeopathy is one of the components of alternative medicine where promising treatment is possible for the said problem. Homeopathy medicine is highly effective for allergy treatment as it has the capacity to ease the affected parts. Homeopathy cure for it is a well known fact in the medical science. Homeopathy lessens for allergies by enhancing the immune system against the allergens. For suitability of homeopathic medicine, it is better to contact to a homeopath or homeopathy physician.
- Allium cepa is used to relieve nasal congestion and burning, especially recommended for autumn season.
- Arsenicum album’s remedy is helpful for running nose and nasal.
- For swollen eyes, use Euphrasia
- Ferrum phosphoricum is effective for inflammation of runny eyes.
- Gelsemium is needed in case of sneezing and watery nose.
- Nux vomica may bring relief for strong cough and can also be used with asthma.
- Sabadilla is suggested for sneezing and watery discharge nose.
- For burning and itching, use of Wyethia, is a wise step.
- Cebadilla seed is recommended when the person is suffering from sneezing, dry nose and dry cough.
- Green tea is a good treatment to overcome symptoms and gain natural health.
Naturopathy for allergy cure
- Hydrotherapy in the form of immersion Bath, Jacuzzi helps to overcome the problem.
- Massage is beneficial to alleviate it.
- Application of grind almond leaves provide soothing effect.
- Application of minced papaya seeds on the affected region gives relief.
- Coconut oil + Lemon Juice is effective to ward off it.
- Juices of Carrot + Beetroot + Cucumber, prevent it from splurging.
Simple home remedies for allergy
To get relief from the problem, home remedy can play effective roles to ease from running nose, itching skin, watery eyes, rashes, vomiting, sneezing etc. Home remedy keeps allergens and allergy triggers at bay. There are lots of home, natural and herbal remedies for skin, nose, eyes, and other parts of the body. Home remedy is quite effective for skin rashes too.
- Warm water gargling with salt helps to treat it
- For inflamed eyes, use the mixture of lime+ mallow + chamomile tea.
- Quince + Honey + Lemon show a good impact on the throat.
- Eye irritation may be reduced washing it through cold water.
- Keep yourself away from allergens.
- Hot shower is effective to ward off allergen and may be used as skin.
- Use sunglasses to protect your eyes from pollen, mites, dust etc.
- Dust mites favour humid place that may spur the condition.
- Hay, straw and grass burning may make allergic patient vulnerable to the disease.
- For congested and inflammatory nose, use peppermint tea.
- Paste of sandalwood + lime juice, a best bet for the affected area.
Top allergic foods and supplements
Food allergy is a negative response to food protein and can be seen with common food allergens like egg, nuts, wheat, soy, milk, peanut, fish, tomatoes and shellfish. These foods are responsible about 90 % of all food allergic reaction. These food allergens may be named as allergies like egg, nut, wheat, soy, milk, peanut, fish, tomato, shellfish, etc. Due to these allergic foods, allergies are common among children. Food allergies sometimes may cause health problems and leads to serious illness. Food hypersensitivity and food intolerance trigger food allergies. Allergic prone people even may suffer from small quantity of allergic foods and show symptoms like rash, nausea and vomiting.
- Cow’s Milk- About 2 % infant have allergy with cow’ milk where symptoms like vomiting, diarrhoea and skin rashes are common.
- Egg- White proteinus part of egg doesn’t suit to some children.
- Fish and shellfish-More common with adults.
- Fruits: About 40% people have oral related syndromes.
- Legumes: Peanuts and Soya bean have allergic features.
- Nuts and Peanut
Allergy prevention tips
- Cleanliness is the most important needs to prevent it.
- Use of carpet may be avoided as it is dust prone.
- Vacuum cleaner is preferred as it filters dust.
- Mask should be used while cleaning.
- Keep yourself away from pets.
- Use exhaust fan.
- Eatable should be kept in tight container.
- Care your pet hygienically.
- Avoid pollutants as airborne matter may trigger an allergic condition.
- Use vacuum cleaner for dusting of carpets.