Burning sensation in the stomach due to excessive secretion of hydrochloric acid (HCL) may corrode the inner lining of the stomach, and badly affected the other parts of the digestive system. Prolonged acidity can cause chronic indigestion, arthritis, gout, IBS, ulcers, etc. How to control acidity is one of the very important questions where Yoga, Ayurveda, diet, home remedies, and homeopathy can play effective roles in the prevention of it.
- Inflammation/burning in the chest
- Continuous pain in the upper region of the abdomen
- Pain at empty stomach
- Frequent heartburn and dyspepsia
- Bloated feeling
- Loss of appetite
- Pressure in chest/chest pain after a meal
- Abrupt weight loss
- Hair loss
- Throat dryness
- Dry cough
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Generally, feeling hungry
- Muscular contraction pain
- Itchiness in the rectal region
- Seems that something coming from stomach to mouth leads to bitterness in the mouth
- Respiratory problems
- Pain in ears
Causes of Acidity
- Excessive intake of pungent and sour food items
- Drinking too many alcoholic beverages
- Hot food items
- Items like sweets, fermented foods
- Fried, spicy and fatty foods
- Gastric ulcer
- Digestion problem
- The habit of skipping breakfast
- More secretion of Hydrochloric Acid(HCL)
- Spending more time under the sun or heat
- More intake of chocolate, tea, coffee, garlic, onions
- Excessive smoking
- Stress, anxiety, and tension
- Showing more anger, fear, worrying
- Drugs like aspirin
- Negative emotion leads to gastric hyperacidity
- Irregular food habit
- Reflux of gastric acid
- Weakness of valves
Complications of Acidity
- Chronic dry cough
- Reflux cough
- Inflammation in the larynx
- Aspiration pneumonia
- Difficulty swallowing
- Gas Bloat Syndrome-Excessive formation of gas, flatulence, abdominal distension, etc.
- Gastric Ulcer-Severe burning
- Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)-food comes into the food pipe and finally to the mouth
Test and Diagnosis of Acidity
- Blood and urine tests
- Esophageal pH monitoring- to know irritability and sleep disturbances
- Upper GI series- to know about gastrointestinal problems
- Upper endoscopy to determine the state of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum.
Yoga for Acidity and Gas
Modern lifestyles and unhealthy eating habits lead to different stomach and intestinal diseases and disorders. Heartburn, hyperacidity, and ulcer are a few of the stomach disorders that can be cured through yoga poses and Asanas. Yoga therapy not only provides relief, yet improves digestion and facilitates internal cleansing too.
- Vajrasana(Throne pose)- helps to improve digestion, decrease constipation, reduce flatulence or gas.
- Kunjal (Stomach wash)- can wash strong acid from the stomach. It is a good example of Yoga for hyperacidity and beneficial for chronic conditions.
- Paschimottanasana (Head to knee) – this yoga pose treats it as well as helps in the improvement of digestion.
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)- massages the organs of the digestive system, thus, helps to treat heartburn, ulcer, and gas.
- Ardha matsyendrasana (Half spinal twist pose)- treats digestive ailments like indigestion, gas problem, indigestion, and constipation.
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand pose)- helps to remove various types of digestive ailments.
- Blood pressure may lead to this condition that can lessen by doing Meditation.
- Corpse posture helps in proper digestion.
- Padahasthasana (Foot-hand pose) massages and tones up the digestive organs and helps to improve digestion and cure gastritis.
- Yogasanas like Sasangasana (Rabbit pose), Janu Shirsasana ( Halfback stretching pose), Viparit Karni (Upside down pose), Tadasana (Mountain Pose), and Trikonasana (Triangle pose) stretch and exercise the liver thereby reduces its acidic secretions.
- Sitting poses like Padmasana (Lotus Pose) and relaxing pose like Shavasana (Corpse pose) helps to decrease gas or flatulence and useful yoga therapy for peptic ulcer.
- Virasana (Hero’s pose) reduces fat around the thighs and increases digestion too.
- Makrasana (Crocodile pose)) massages the abdominal organs and reduces stress.
- Ujjayi (Ocean Breath), Kapalbhatti (Forced Air), and Shitali Pranayam (Cool Breath) have the capacity to counter acidity and gastric ulcer.
- Pavanamuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose) is effective to get rid of gas.
- Sheetali Pranayama( the Cooling Breath) provides immediate relief from acidity reflux in the stomach.
- Sheetkari pranayam (the Hissing Breath) helps in the reduction of burning sensation in the stomach and too easy from intestinal gas.
Ayurvedic acidity treatments
Hyperacidity is a worldwide common disorder that may lead to ulcers and other complications. Ayurveda, being a natural and herbal remedial platform for various diseases, provide effective treatment for the condition of intestinal gas and ulcer.
- Indian Gooseberry shows the calming effect and an Ayurveda remedy for the problem.
- Pomegranate juice about 10 ml twice a day is a good ayurvedic treatment for heartburn.
- Tulsi leaves naturally cure acidity as these reduce the formation of gas and burning in the stomach.
- Acorus calamus is an herbal cure for hydrochloric acid formation in the stomach. Eating onion (1 piece) + sweet curd + sugar help to reduce burning sensation in the throat region.
- Turpeth root (Nishoth) helps to protect the inner lining of the stomach and reduces abdominal ulcers.
- Pumpkin juice + sugar reduce gas and heartburn.
- Turmeric is a natural remedy to prevent excessive harm to the stomach from hyperacidity.
- 5-10 gm. ghee boiled with jeera should be taken with rice during meals.
- Liquorice has a great neutralizing effect for gastritis as an ayurvedic treatment.
- Fresh garlic is used as an herbal medicine for acidity and intestinal gas.
- Margisa tree dilutes acidity in the alimentary canal.
- Ehiretta powder + sugar provides relief.
- Coconut water is a quite beneficial herbal remedy for the condition. Drink it twice a day.
- Eating clove is recommended as an Ayurveda remedy for heartburn.
- 3 tsp of apple cider vinegar + 10 ml. honey + water helps to prevent it.
- Gur is helpful to subsidize it and used as an effective cure for the condition.
- Watermelon or cucumber (kheera) calm down the gravity of it.
Homeopathic remedies for acidity
Heartburn is associated with regurgitation of acid peptic gastric juice into the esophagus. Burning discomfort moves up and down the chest starting from the stomach. In case of serious heartburn, it radiates to the sides of the chest, neck, or angle of the jaw. Homeopathy medicines can be used as lifestyle tips for flatulence and indigestion.
- Acetic acid is given when the feeling of vomiting is common after every meal. The patients also feel an insatiable burning thrust.
- Capsicum is recommended when burning in the throat, tongue, vomiting; and intense craving for stimulants is common.
- Nux vomica-helps to tone the digestive organs help to lessen gastric problems.
- Pulsatilla is given to the patient who is thirstless with great dryness of mouth and better in the open air; weeping disposition; mild, gentle, affectionate, yielding
- Kali bichromicum is prescribed in case of a reflux condition.
- Carbo vegetabilis is quite useful for it.
- China Officinalis lessen the burning sensation in the stomach.
- Lycopodium is suitable for chronic congestion of the stomach.
- Few other medicines can also be used for heartburn if the stomach matches: Magnesia carbonica, Natrum phosphoricum, Anacardium orientale, Calcarea carbonica, Cantharis, Carbo vegetable, Cinchonna officinalis, Discorea, Robina, and Sepia. The above homeopathic medicines are beneficial for gastric disease and dyspepsia.
Acidity home remedies
Hyperacidity, ulcers, and intestinal gas are caused due to excessive acid secretion in the stomach. A list of home remedies, natural treatments, and herbal treatments for heartburn and gas is given here.
- Use coconut water in plenty as a home remedy.
- A mix of apple cider vinegar + honey + water before meals fight it. It is an effective herbal remedy.
- White vinegar can be used as a remedy at home to reduce the level of the condition.
- Tulsi leaves are an effective herbal remedy for gas and stomach burning.
- The eating of almonds helps to cure it.
- Sugary cold water relieves the burning of the stomach.
- A mix of radish +carrots + tomatoes can be taken because these are the beneficial home remedy.
- Radish + black pepper improves digestion.
- Chewing of cloves fights it.
- Amla powder + honey thrice a day to get relief from acid reflux.
- Cold milk glass relief from burning of stomach.
- Eating of Jaggery subsides it.
- Eating yogurt provides quick relief.
- Eat watermelon, banana, and cucumber to have good results.
- Chewing of ajwain is good.
- Practice Pranayam daily.
- Strained the mix of 1 cup of warm water + Saunf and add 1 tsp of honey for good results.
- Keep yourself away from pickles, fried foods, hot spicy foods, chocolate, pastries, etc.
- Sipping of boil mint leaves having a good.
- Eating bananas showing a calming effect.
- For immediate relief, take a glass of water by adding a pinch of baking soda.
- Fennel relieves abdominal pain, colon disorders, and gas.
- Ginger relieves indigestion.
- For heartburn, use calcium in your diet.
- Have your dinner 2-3 hours before going to bed.
- Eat more and more green and leafy vegetables.
- Cardamom gives relief.
- Herbal tea that contains spearmint +licorice is quite beneficial
Diet for acidity
Hyperacidity is one of the most common diseases caused due to more acid formation or acid-alkaline imbalance. About 20% of the population is suffering from this disease. To reduce it, there is a need to balance between acid and alkaline diets.
- Sour fruits, vegetables like citrus fruits, tomatoes, onion, leads to acidosis.
- Pickles, fried, oily and spicy foods cause gas in the stomach.
- Avoid excessive chocolate to reduce the effect of it on the stomach.
- At night, try to avoid protein and calcium-rich food.
- Cheese and junk foods do exaggerate it.
- Soft drinks, tea, alcohol, coffee, etc., increase it by damaging the inner lining of the stomach
- Take more quantity of water as it aids your digestion.
Diet to reduce acidity
- Carbohydrate-rich food should be preferred as these are associated with no acid formation.
- Fruits like apples, bananas, dates, and figs may be taken in more and more quantity as these are alkaline balanced diets.
- Take more and more coconut, ripened mango, kiwi, watermelon, and pears.
- Leaves of carrot, celery, and curry relive from it.
- Sweet potatoes, carrot, and beetroot are alkaline-rich diet help to control it.
- Seeds of cumin, coriander, and cardamom help to overcome it.
- Avoid beverages like alcohol, coffee as these secrete more acid and damage the lining of the stomach.
- Over processed and fatty foods like junk ones demand heavy work to be done by the stomach.
- Acidic fruits like tomatoes and from the citrus family should be prevented as it helps to maintain ph balance.
- Go bye to overeating
- Cut your smoking to save the lining of the stomach.
Acidity prevention and precautions
In today’s modern faulty lifestyle, GERD, heartburn, and intestinal gas problems have become more common due to the drastic changes in our food habits. Foods like fast, junk, spicy, etc. prompt it.
- Drinking water in the early morning is beneficial in the prevention of it.
- Avoid spicy foods as they enhance heartburn.
- Your food should be alkaline in nature.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Fatty foods, spicy foods, caffeine, citrus, and carbonated beverages are some of the important food items where precautions should be taken.
- Eat only when you are hungry.
- Give up night awakening.
- Say bye-bye to stress and tension.
- Eating a banana daily to prevent it.
- A big gap between meals produces gas.
- Sleeping on an elevated pillow is desirable.
- Take 4-5 litres of water daily.
- Avoid raw salads of onion, cabbage, radish, chili, and pepper.
- Chew your food properly.
- Take more and more water as a precautionary measure to reduce it.
- Avoid drinking water before and after meals.
- Early to bed and early to rise reduces the risk of secreting excessive acid in the stomach.
10 thoughts on “Acidity Control and Treatment through Yoga and Ayurveda”
I have been suffering from hyperacidity since I was in high school. I took Yoga classes in college, thanks for a classmate who suggested it, and it worked really great for me. No more acidity problems, plus Yoga also is a great stress reliever. Besides, there is no age limit for Yoga so I would suggest anyone to try it
any particulate yoga..pls specify the name????and how long you suffer from acidity? and how long time minimum to practice yoga to cure this problem.pls reply…cause i am suffering from it from 12-14 years…every medicine i have try…but no improvement.
I have same problem plz agr app ko aram hai toh bata do k kaise mila
would you elaborate on kind of yogasan to be done to cure acidity? Thanks
it would help a lot if we knew what the poses were, what they look like, how to do them or something!!!
awaking hope towards cure
i have problem of Loss of appetite and abdominal bloating ( Jhag)
what is best medicine and yoga for cure
I suffer alot with bad headaches. Bad headaches has being in my family for generations. Almost very day and night I have it. I wake up with it and sleep with it. Sometimes I have it for days and nights. Went to the doctor can find anything wrong. I sometimes go crazy with the pain. I don’t know what to do anymore. But I will try this home remedies. I pray it does work.
I’ve got to say, the layout alone made me come back to this web site again. It is wonderful.
Above given tips are really helpful for the people who face the problem of acidity. i also want to share one of my experience which i was facing from acidity, it was so painful, and i was not able to do anything properly, so one of my neighbour told me to take the Ayurveda treatment of Jain’s cow urine therapy, when i followed that i was feeling good after that, because as i remember i took everything for the relief, but it was not working for me, so i felt good by taking Ayurveda treatment.