Constipation is a boon of faulty lifestyle and wrong dietary pattern. Causes like unbalanced food habits, irregular sleeping pattern, low physical exercise are few of them. In elderly population, about 70% people are affecting or complaining about it.
- Tongue colour gets darken
- Digestion of foods takes long time
- Yellowish coloured stools
- Difficult passage of stool
- Bad breath
- Bowel movement problem
- Abdominal bloating, cramps and uneasiness
- Excessive gas
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling of inactiveness
- Rectal bleeding in case of acute condition
- Weight loss
- Headache and dizziness
- Dry, small and hard fecal formation
What Causes Constipation?
- Low intake of water
- Insufficient dietary fiber intake
- Diet deficient in leafy, green vegetables and salads
- Not having enough roughage
- Decreased physical activity
- Diuretics, antidepressants and antihistamines cause constipation
- Heavy intake of dairy products, meats, refined sugar and eggs
- Stress and anxiety
- Problems like hypercalcemia, hypothyroidism and diabetes
- Parkinson’s, fissures and pelvic dysfunction
- Overuse of laxative and suppositories (use to soften stool)
- Old age
- Hormonal imbalance during pregnancy and menstrual periods
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Iron tablets
- anticonvulsants drug
- Intestinal obstruction
- Poor functioning of thyroid gland
- Lead poisoning
- Long bed rest
- Excessive use of strong tea and coffee.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Over eating and insufficient chewing.
- Narcotic medications like Codeine and oxycodone
- Colonic inertia
- Colon and rectum problem
- Ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement
When the baby feels difficulty in emptying the bowel. The main cause of baby constipation is Bottle Feeding as it is not digested easily in comparison to mother milk. Breastfed babies have hormone called Motline that helps to bowel movement. Bryan cereal should be preferred with babies to relive from this condition.
Complications of constipation
- Hemorrhoids (piles)
- Faecal impaction-stool harden in large intestine and rectum
- Fecal incontinence
- Rectal prolapse means coming out of rectal tissue from anus.
- Anal fissure
- Rectal bleeding
Diagnosis for constipation
- General medical enquiry including symptoms and causes
- Tests-Blood, urine and stool
- Test for pelvic floor dysfunction and Irritable bowel syndrome
- Sigmoidoscopy, Rigid proctoscopy and Colonoscopy to know about colon and rectum bleeding
- X-ray to know about rectum empty stool
- Abdominal and anal ultrasound
- GI transit test-radioactive markers traverse the digestive system
- Thyroid Test
- Anorectal Testing-to know the well functionality of rectum and pelvic
- Colonic Motility Test
- Hydrogen Breath Test- to be acquainted with fructose intolerance
1. Top 20 Yoga to relieve constipation
It is supposed to be the main cause of all diseases. Therefore, it should be treated thoroughly. Several other diseases and disorders also crop up if the bowel is constipated.
- Bhujanghasana (Cobra pose) is extremely beneficial remedy in removing constipation, gas and flatulence.
- Trikonasana (Triangular stretch pose) helps to pass stool easily and good for bowel movement.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half spinal twist): Yoga posture like this improves digestion helps from chronic situation.
- Supta Vajrasana (Sleeping pelvic pose): Aids in digestion and provides relief.
- Vajrasana (Diamond pose): Improves the functioning of whole digestive system.
- Dhanurasana (Bow pose): helpful for its remedies and makes stool to pass easily.
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand): Improves digestion and relieves from the problem.
- Kapalbhati (Frontal brain bellowing): Helps in abdominal movement and quite effective for the case.
- Mayurasana(Peacock pose): This yoga asana is helpful in solving the problem of indigestion.
- Pavan Muktasana: Improves gastrointestinal problems by stimulating abdominal region thereby correct flatulence. It also reduces abdominal fats.
- Naukasana (Boat poses): Improves and activates the digestive system and intestine.
- Halasana (Plough pose): Relieves it and keep the spine supple. It keeps healthy thyroid and parathyroids glands and helps in preventing diabetes mellitus.
- Shalabhasana (Locust pose): Strengthens the abdominal muscles, beneficial for digestion.
- Mandukasana: Beneficial for digestive disorders.
- Paschimottanasana(Head to knee pose): Practicing yoga like this removes the severe condition.
- Yogamudra: Improves metabolism.
- Katichakrasana (Waist rotating pose) helps to remove it.
- Pranayama: This yoga practice is excellent for the problems
- Sankha Prakshalan
2. Unani for constipation
- Grind 25 gm.Halaila siyah (Black variety) and 25 gm of Almond separately and add honey. The mixture may be taken twice a day. It is a useful remedy for it as well as piles.
- 6 gm of Aspaghol along with milk may be taken daily at bed time to get relief.
- Take equal quantity of sana, sonth, sonf and sendha namak. Grind it properly, may be taken at bed time to cure the condition. The mix is an effective unani treatment for it.
- 10 gm of Itrifal Zamani should be taken with lukewarm water before going to bed.
- 2 tablespoon of Itrifal Mulayyan is a valuable unani medicine that is recommended with warm water at bed time.
- 6 ml of Roghan Badam with milk at bed time is useful.
- About 30 ml of Sharbat Arzani + water is a good.
- Gulqand and Majoon Anjeer are also beneficial.
3. Ayurveda remedy for constipation
- Soak the mix of Amaltas fruit + Tamarind, keep it overnight, before drinking mashed and filter it. This is the good Ayurvedic remedy for it.
- 10-20 ml fruit juice twice a day is useful.
- Increased the use of coconut oil, especially in diet as it is the effective Ayurvedic treatment.
- 5 ml ghee along with warm milk may be taken at bed time with sugar as a good natural remedy.
- Spinach juice helps to relieve it.
- Isabgol(Plantago ovata) and vitis vinifera boiled with milk take the mix at bed time with 5 ml ghee. It is Ayurvedic remedy for sluggish bowel movements.
- Triphala powder is an excellent cleanser and natural colon cleanser.
- Warm lemon juice helps in clearing motion.
- Aloe vera juice cleanses the intestine.
- Isabguha or psyllium husk is quite effective treatment.
- Rhuharb cures chronic constipation and use as constipation remedy.
- Bael fruit, an ayurvedic food, is helpful in removing waste from the body.
- As an herbal medicine for acute constipation, it is better to take the ripe fruit of Belleric Myroblan.
- Cassia is a good remedy in the treatment of it.
- Castor oil is beneficial for the disease.
- Chicory, a natural laxative, used as Ayurvedic medicine.
- Haritak, an Ayurvedic herb, helpful for treating it.
- Spices like cumin seeds, coriander, and turmeric powder easily digested the foods. All these are good Ayurvedic product.
4. Homeopathy medicine for constipation
Homeopathy has proper and effective solution for constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, fissures, piles, etc. It also eases hard stool. Homeopathic medicine helps to work the body efficiently by treating the condition from its root. Here, few of the important homeopathic remedies are being mentioned.
- Bryonia relieves from dry stools, dryness in the rectum and acute pain in the stomach and well-known homeopathic treatment.
- Calcarea carbonica is a good homeopathic remedy for it.
- Sulphur homeopathy medicines are recommended in case of excessive gas and dry, hard stool.
- Silicea is given to smooth bowel movement.
- Lycopodium, being a good homeopathy treatment cures excessive gas.
- Nux Vomica is referred when the person feel defecated many times.
- Alumina is good for children who faces hard stool.
- Causticum may be helpful in difficulty of passing stool.
- Sepia is beneficial in case of rectum sensation and hard stool.
5. Naturopathy for constipation
It is a common disturbance of the digestive system where the bowel didn’t move properly. This is a common problem of elderly people of age 60 plus where use of laxative is frequent. Appendicitis, rheumatism, arthritis, high blood pressure, cataract and cancer are the diseases where chronic constipation is a predisposing factor.
- The observance of regular hours for meal, elimination and sleep, balanced diet, and sufficient exercise are essential in the treatment of it.
- The most important factor in curing the condition is natural and simple diet.
- Regular drinking of water is essential as it cleans the system.
- All fruits except banana and jack fruits are beneficial in the treatment.
- Pear is regarded as one of the best laxative fruits.
- Guava due to roughage helps in the normal evacuation of the bowel.
- Grapes contain cellulose, sugar and organic acid that make them a laxative food.
- Drinking lukewarm water with lime juice is a highly effective remedy.
- Copper vessel water is too beneficial.
- Linseed is extremely useful in difficult cases.
- The bowel may be cleansed daily through enema.
- A cold friction bath is also useful.
- Exercise is beneficial to ease it.
6. Surprising home remedy for constipation
Home Remedy can cure constipation naturally. It means one can find natural relief through the items that is present in kitchen or at home. Here few remedies are mentioned to tackle it naturally and herbals.
- Take warm milk before going to bed
- Bael fruit is excellent for constipation.
- Guava provides roughage and gives relief.
- 3 tsp of castor oil in milk may help in chronic situation.
- Drinking 3-4 glasses of water early morning helps in bowel movement and normal stool.
- Add more fibrous fruits and leafy green vegetables in your diet.
- Taking 2 tsp of molasses is good to treat it.
- Sleep at least 6-8 hours.
- Proper cooked vegetables should consume.
- Eat only whenever you are feeling hungry.
- Use spices like cumin, turmeric and coriander, all helps to digest your food.
- Avoid non-veg, deep-fried, junk food etc.
- Cabbage juice is beneficial in treating it.
- Heat some dry grapes in milk, drink it after straining, a natural remedy.
- Spiegel seeds + warm milk + sugar good for it.
- Water + Epsom salt in the ratio of 2: 1 helps to ease it.
- Pear is helpful.
- More fibrous nature of orange easily digests the food and helps in bowel movement.
- Fruits like papaya and figs act like as cleanser for the bowel.
- Fennel seeds are beneficial in its treatment.
7. Diet for constipation prevention
The most important cause of constipation is diet with low dietary fibre and heavy fat. Diet which contains high fibre or fibre leads to overcome the situation more powerfully. Constipation or chronic constipation can prevent in adult or children by following simple rules of diet habits and proper diet information. Food chart and food pyramid is too recommended for constipated people.
- Food should be properly chewed and each morsel for at least 15 times.
- Wholesome diet, fruits, boiled vegetables and soup is a good remedy.
- Vegetables like radish, turnip, peas, carrot, tomato, bitter gourd, beetroot, sprouts, coriander, cabbage, mints are useful to relieve from constipation.
- Eat fresh fruits like avocado, guava, mango, orange, jamun, papaya, grapes, etc.
- Increases the quantity of salads in your diet.
- Increase the intake of watermelon, mangoes, cucumber.
- Drink more quantity of water.
- Eat whole grain cereals, bran, honey and lentils.
- Milk products like butter, ghee and cream.
- Dry fruits like fig, apricot and dates
8. Constipation causing foods
- Restrict your non-veg., fried, oily and junk foods are considered as constipated diet.
- Bread, cakes, pasta, maida, pizzas, burgers, cookies too responsible for constipation and comes under as unhealthy diet.
- Cheese, Yoghurt
- Avoid spices, fats, excessive salt.
- White flour, biscuits, preserves, white sugar, boiled egg etc.
9. Constipation prevention & precautions
Prevention of constipation is not a tough task; simply, you have to follow some simple methods, eat high fibre diet, drink enough fluids, adopt a healthy lifestyle and develop regular bowel habits. All these can prevent the onset of constipation symptoms, bloating and ulcer. Poor diet, poor bowel movement and poor hydration are some of the causes that delay prevention of constipation, especially in pregnant women. Lack of exercise, frequent intake of beverages too intensifies constipation.
- Hurried meals and meals at odd time should be avoided to skip from gastro intestinal, reflux.
- Give more thrust on high fiber diet is a good tool for prevention of constipation.
- Defecate at the appropriate time to avoid stomach pain.
- High sugary and fatty food should be avoided as these steal B vitamins from the body without which the intestine function irregularly.
- Take adequate quantity of water and juices.
- Do exercises regularly.
- Avoid more uses of laxatives.
- Avoid caffeine, soda and alcohol.
- Avoid back bowel movement.
- Avoid three white things Maida, Sugar and Salt.
- Avoid white rice, white bread and white flour.
- More quantity of vitamin and magnesium should be taken.
- Avoid taking too many varieties at one meal.
- Relax after meal.
- Don’t spend more than 10 minutes in toilet.
- Chew your food properly so to facilitate easy digestion and avoid abdominal pain.
- Eat only whenever you feel hungry.
- Take adequate sleep.
- Don’t ignore bowel movement
- Peel all fruits