Why meditation to cure diseases?
The popularity of yoga can be visualized through International Day of Yoga on 21st June. More or less 192 countries of the world practice common yoga protocol. It shows the efficacy and importance of yoga in the treatment and curing of many diseases. Meditation or Dhyan is one of the integral components of yoga. The US government has also shown its keen interest towards yoga and meditation promotions, dedication to developing and supporting quality, scientific research in the efficacy of yoga including alternative medicines,. Now the developed world has realized that yoga therapy and meditation can save billions and billions dollars to the exchequer of the governments.
Research on meditation
Meditation shouldn’t only be considered as spiritual practice, to reach or achieve an absolute or sacred state of consciousness. Recent research studies show that it is an effective treatment for reducing stress (Benson, 1995; Calderon & Schneider, 1999; Kulkarni, 1998; Shapiro, et al., 1998; Walton, et al., 1995), which can lead to hypertension. If it is practiced on a regular basis, leads to mood booster and better quality of life (Baldwin, 1999; Gimbel, 1998; Shapiro, 1998). It also helps to alter the result of chronically ill patients (Anton, 1999; Davis, et al., 1998; Speca, et al., 2000; Vedanthan, et al., 1998; Young, 1999; Zaza, et al., 1999).
10 evidenced based benefits of meditation
- Psychiatric disorders: A research paper published by Katya Rubia on “The Neurobiology of Meditation and its Clinical Effectiveness in Psychiatric Disorders” where it has been shown that physiological and clinical studies have promising impacts of meditation on stress-related autonomic and endocrine measures. It also helps to reduce anxiety.
- Meditation and metabolism: A study conducted on “Physiological Effects of Transcendental Meditation (Science 27 March 1970: Vol. 167 no. 3926 pp. 1751-1754) by Robber Wallacewherein it has been shown that the practice of transcendental meditation decreases oxygen consumption and heart rate and increases skin resistance.
- Cardio-respiratory changes: A research study has shown that the practice of pranayama and meditation leads to statistically different oxygen uptake and the carbon dioxide output in comparison to other who are not doing it. The study also suggests that the meditation used in this study reduces the metabolic rate and shows positive cardio-respiratory changes.
- Cardiovascular disease: Evidence on the state of research in meditation practices viz. Mantra meditation, Mindfulness meditation, Yoga, Tai Chi, and Qi Gong showed the conditions of hypertension, cardiovascular diseases and substance abuse greatly improved after the practice of such forms of meditations.
- Epilepsy: A study conducted on title “Evidence that the Transcendental Meditation program prevents or decreases diseases of the nervous system and is specifically beneficial for epilepsy” by Orme-Johnson D: Med Hypothesis, 2007 ha shown the practice of meditation decreased the symptoms of epilepsy.
- Meditation and Endocrine System: A number of endocrine reactions have been identified in the meditative response pattern, including reduced blood levels of lactate, cortisol, and epinephrine (Wallace 1970, Sudsuang et al 1991). The reductions in these blood chemicals denote a state of decreased tension and anxiety.
- Central nervous activity: In a study, Jevning, R. (1992) hypothesized a research (Based upon a wide spectrum of physiological data on Transcendental Meditation), that meditation is an integrated response with peripheral circulatory and metabolic changes serving increased central nervous activity.
- Psoriasis: As per study shown through (Kabat-Zinn, et al., 1998) that meditation has become a popular tool in psychotherapy as a relaxation technique (eg., Benson, 1978) and helps the psoriasis patients recovered faster when including a meditation regimen into treatment
- Post-operative healing: Meditation and pranayama helps in post-operative healing with lesser dependency on drugs, pills & pharmaceuticals, develop skin resistance and enhances the immune system.
- Controls free radicals: The regular practice of meditation enhances energy levels, strength and vigour, control free radicals and tissue damage.
10 wonder benefits of meditation
- Controls aging process
- Treats headache and migraines
- Cures fertility
- Good to develop will power
- Treats sleep deprivation
- Increases focus and concentration
- Increases higher intelligence
- Increases the feelings of vitality and rejuvenation
- Increases exercise tolerance
- Improves lungs health and easier breathing