Career in Radio Broadcasting
Essential criteria for radio jobs
- Qualitative inputs, excellent writing skills, perfection in work, meeting deadlines, pleasing way of expression, and mastery over the medium of language (Hindi/English/Urdu/Tamil/etc.) are some of the essential points to be a radio broadcaster and to make one’s career in Radio.
- As far as writing is concerned, it is the soul of the broadcasting system and one of the criteria for finding placement in Radio Jobs.
- There should be a command on writing.
- The broadcasters must be very careful about the happenings nationally and internationally.
- You have to be current on the latest news and current affairs.
- For this, one has to go through different newspapers, magazines, journals, TV, etc.
- He should be able to present even the most challenging topic straightforwardly and lucidly so that the commoner can understand without any brainstorming.
- Can work under pressure and deadline schedule.
How to Become Radio Jockey/DJ
- For Radio Jobs employment, the following are the essential features that are needed
- Having the ability to frame original ideas and stories.
- Excellent communication and Presenting skills are of utmost importance for the Radio Jockey job.
- The person should be dedicated to his work, even in the case of part-time radio jobs.
- Calmness and coolness should be their essence, even in harsh conditions.
- Good broadcaster loves the public as they are the source of the stories and ideas.
- The DJs should know program style and ethics.
- Covering the story is important because which parts you have to keep and which ones you have to delete takes utmost care.
- Knowledge of equipment is essential for the facilitation of the program.
- You should be well versed in Radio station mechanisms such as recorders, microphones, and editing software.
- He should have a nose for news, interviews, programs etc.
- The idea of past clippings is essential.
- Self-confidence and determination are essential.
Radio Job Courses and Training
- Graduate in any subject is the minimum criteria with a nose of news, writing ability, and performance in a tight schedule.
- Post-graduation or a Diploma in Mass Communication or Journalism is an added advantage because it has become an essential qualification in many places.
- After completing these courses, one must go through the audition test and Vani certificate course to enter the public sector.
- There are many radio stations, and FM channels, recruit the broadcaster after having the qualities and criteria mentioned above.
Radio Jobs in FM Stations
- Post Liberalisation, Privatisation and Globalisation (LPG), Radio communication and Broadcasters have changed drastically.
- There is a mushrooming of FM stations both in urban and smaller towns and cities, which has generated enough avenues for radio jobs in India.
- So radio job recruitment has opened an excellent opportunity for the freshers.
- If one has a very brevity way of expression, writing, and creativity, the person is suitable for the Radio job profile.
- In maximum FM stations, the Radio Jockey is paid handsomely hourly.
- Since the radio stations generated huge surplus through advertisement, the employees, especially the presenters, Announcers, DJs and broadcasters, are given fatty salaries.
- In Community Radio, volunteers are more important.
Importance of Radio Broadcasting
- It is a source of mass entertainment and afforded by more or less everyone due to its cost-effective approach.
- It is omnipresent and accessible from the remote of the remotest region.
- Radio Jockeys, Community radio, FM, Presenters, Announcers, etc., all play a vital role in entertaining and giving valuable information to the public.