The English language is widely acknowledged in both the developed and developing worlds. Though it is spoken largely in developed countries, post the LPG era, its significance has increased manifolds in developing countries, spoken mainly too. The two most essential components of English are English Speaking and English Writing, which are relevant in their respective areas. In cases like English TV journalism, Corporate communication, Management, Presentation, Knowledge sharing, etc., the importance of English speaking is much more. In these cases, your fluency, way of expression, phonetics, and pronunciation are foremost.
While English writing medium is dominant over speaking in Print media like newspapers, magazines, journals, newsletters, tabloids, and academic work.
A career in the English Language
As an international language, English has opened a wide door for English graduates and Postgraduates.
After liberalisation, the scope of English has increased, and many candidates are pursuing the subject as a career.
It is the era of media where TV channels are mushrooming, so the English and Hindi channels.
On the other hand, the English print media is also not behind the race in recruiting candidates.
There is a great career scope as Editor, Sub-editor, Assistant Editor, Associate Editor, Consulting editor, etc., both in media and other organisations.
English translators and interpreters are also in demand.
Lucrative career options are also available in schools, colleges, and universities as teachers and lecturers.
Job Opportunities in the English Language
After Graduation or post-graduation, well-paid jobs are on the card in both governments and the private sector.
In the age of media revolutions, people are getting a salary beyond their expectations.
Exciting jobs are on TV, Journalism, Radio, Film, drama, and Publishing. Good job options are also in print media like newspapers, magazines, journals, weekly, and newsletters.
One may also cash one’s talent in private organisations, especially in MNCs, BPOs, and KPOs.
These outsourcing agencies have thrown many job opportunities for English-knowing candidates.
Suitable candidates who are well-versed in speaking, writing, and entrepreneurial skills get handsome packages after completing their degrees and courses.
Top 10 Jobs Options in English
- TV Jobs (Anchors, Editors)
- Publishing jobs in Print Media (Newspaper, Magazine)
- Manager in Corporate Communication
- Teacher and lecturer in Schools and Colleges
- Writer in TV, Film, Video, Movies, Radio, etc.
- Public Relations
- Technical Writer
- Script Writer and Copywriter
Institutes and Universities Offer English Courses
There are many Universities in India offering Graduate, Post Graduate, and PhD degrees. Names of some of the Institutes, Colleges, and Universities are being given here.
- University of English and Foreign Language, Hyderabad
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Delhi University, New Delhi
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Bananas Hindu University, Varanasi
- Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Guwahati University, Guwahati
- Saurashtra University, Rajkot
- Kurushetra University, Kurushetra
- Bangalore University, Bangalore
- University of Mumbai
- Utkal University, Bhubneshwar
- Pondicherry University, Puducherry
- Punjab University, Patiala
- Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai
- University of Madras, Chennai
- St. Peter’s University, Chennai
- IGNOU, New Delhi
Remuneration and Packages
Remuneration and packages are varied from job to job among English-knowing candidates.
In the market, a good translator is getting paid on a word basis. Some people are getting Rs 2/word for translation work.
After a boom in the tourism industry, India is becoming the hub of tourists. Interpreters earn a good income as a tour, travel, and tourism interpreters.
After implementing the sixth pay commission, teachers and lecturers are getting Rs 30 000 to Rs 70 000 per month.
However, the lucrative remuneration is handsomely availed by the media fraternity.
The TV anchors, editors, and other people are getting fat packages.
The same case is also associated with Print Media, Film, and Radio.