English language is widely acknowledged at both the developed and developing worlds. Though, it is spoken largely in the developed countries, yet post LPG era, its significance has increased manifolds in the developing countries too. The two most important components of English are English Speaking and English Writing, have its own relevance in their respective areas. In cases like English TV journalism, Corporate communication, Management, Presentation, Knowledge sharing, etc., the importance of English speaking is much more. In these cases, your fluency, way of expression, phonetics, pronunciation is at the foremost place.
While English writing medium is dominant over speaking in Print media like newspaper, magazine, journal, newsletter, tabloids and academic work.
Career in English Language
English being an international language has opened wide door for English graduates and Post graduates. After liberalization, the scope of English has increased manifolds and a large number of candidates are pursuing the subject as a career. It is the era of media where TV channels are mushrooming so the English and Hindi channels. On the other hand, the English print media is also not behind the race in recruiting candidates. There is a great career scope as Editor, Sub-editor, Assistant Editor, Associate editor, Consulting editor, etc., both in media and other organisations. English translator and interpreter are also in demand.
Lucrative career options are also available in schools, colleges and universities as teacher and lecturer.
Job Opportunities in English Language
After completing Graduation or Post Graduation, well-paid jobs are on the card at both government as well as private sector. In the age of media revolutions, people are getting salary beyond their expectations. Exciting jobs are in TV, Journalism, Radio, Film, drama and Publishing. Good job options are also in print media like newspaper, magazine, journals, weekly, and newsletter. One may also cash one’s talent in the private organisation, especially in MNCs, BPOs and KPOs. These outsourcing agencies have thrown many job opportunities for English knowing candidates. The suitable candidates who are well versed in speaking and writing along with entrepreneur skills are getting handsome packages after completing their degree and courses.
Top 10 Jobs Options in English
- TV Jobs (Anchors, Editors)
- Publishing jobs in Print Media (Newspaper, Magazine)
- Manager in Corporate Communication
- Teacher and lecturer in Schools and Colleges
- Writer in TV, Film, Video, Movies, Radio, etc.
- Public Relations
- Technical Writer
- Script Writer and Copywriter
Institutes and Universities Offer English Courses
There are many Universities in India which are offering Graduate, Post Graduate and Ph.D. degrees. Name of some of the Institutes, Colleges and Universities are being given here.
- University of English and Foreign Language, Hyderabad
- Jawaharlal Nehru university, New Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Delhi University, New Delhi
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Baranas Hindu University, Varanasi
- Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Guwahati University, Guwahati
- Saurashtra University, Rajkot
- Kurushetra University, Kurushetra
- Bangalore University, Bangalore
- University of Mumbai
- Utkal University, Bhubneshwar
- Pondicherry University, Puducherry
- Punjab University, Patiala
- Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai
- University of Madras, Chennai
- St. Peter’s University, Chennai
- IGNOU, New Delhi
Remuneration and Packages
Remuneration and packages are varied from job to job among English knowing candidates. In the market, the good translator is getting payment on word basis. Some people are getting Rs 2/word for translation work. After boom in the tourism industry, India is becoming the hub of tourists. Interpreters are earning good income as interpreter tour, travel and tourism industry. Teacher and lecturer are getting Rs 30, 000 to Rs 70, 000 per month after the implementation of sixth pay commission. However, the lucrative remuneration is handsomely availed by the media fraternity. The TV anchors, editors, and other persons are getting fat packages. The same case is also associated with Print Media, Film and Radio.