News anchor description
A career as a news anchor or news presenter is challenging and rewarding too. They work for television channels or radio stations. News anchor’s basic job is to sense the news and present it suitably from the common man’s point of view so that maximum people live it tuned gripping. It is the articulating and analyzing power of the anchor that makes the live TV session engrossing to the viewers. They should have a better ability to judge the situation. There is no such dearth of jobs in this field for the hardworking candidate who has a keen desire to be a presenter. Many News channels are identified for their news anchors.
Job profile of news anchor
- They have the ability to present the right aspects of local, national and global news before the public.
- Their presentation should be in such a way so that the general public can understand it easily.
- To know how to conduct interviews of famous personalities and celebrities.
- To know how to research and investigate a story.
- Interact with reporters while on air.
- To know how to gather data and present the same in a simple and easily understand news form.
- Affinity of extensive reading on your area of interest.
- To know analyze, interpreting and broadcast a news received from various sources.
- They have patience, perseverance, ability to handle pressure and stiff work culture.
Salary of news presenter
News anchors are high in demand. As per experience, expertise and location, they draw high salary. Those who are working in metropolitan cities like New York, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, Washington, etc., draw a fatty salary. There is no as dearth of money for the renowned news presenter. As per the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics,2018 the median annual salary of a news anchor is $ 66, 880
Courses and eligibility
Any graduate who has a nose for news and capable of unique presentation and broadcasting can be a news anchor. However, the employers generally hire graduates who have done a BA or MA in Journalism/ Communications/Mass Communications. Do a degree in BA Journalism from a recognized Mass com institutions. Try to get experience from local radio stations, tv channels, or newspapers. Do summer internship and also just completing the journalism degree. Initially, no need to wait for a news presenter job, instead one should start one’s career whatever the jobs viz, reporter, editor, producer, etc. one gets on TV channel.
News Anchor skills
If you want to go higher as a news presenter, you have to develop the following skills and competencies
- A news presenter should have the ability to make a simple news into a sensational one.
- It is better to develop exceptional ability to explain a story.
- The anchor should be the best listener so that the presenter can communicate effectively with the reporter while airing a news.
- Should know the nuances of high quality writing and editing.
- Feedback should be taken seriously and positively from the listeners.
- High intensity of reading aptitude so that one can go through maximum thing in a certain period of time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Sharp view in recognizing, assimilating and understanding the news.
- Time management
The field of news presenter has stiff and cut-throat competitions. Research has been conducted in the USA wherein it has been found that job outlook is not so encouraging in this field and stagnancy will continue for a few years. To make yourself more competitive as per the demand of the market, try to garner more and more knowledge and put your best efforts while in college as well as in the field.
In the race of grab and flash the news first, they have to spend hours and hours in office. Their jobs are no as such comfortable as seems on the screen. Before presenting a news, they have to do brainstorming and lots of hard works. Sometime, they have to cover news from a very harsh conditions such as war, natural calamities, etc. Within the 24 hours, anytime they may be called and should be ready for any shifts.
Top journalism Schools and Institutes
- High School Journalism Institute, Indiana University
- Missouri School of Journalism
- Manship School of Mass Communication, Louisiana State University Baton Rouge, LA
- The University of Kansas, Kansas Journalism Institute
- Mayborn Graduate Institute of Journalism, Texas
- University of Minnesota, Institute for New Media Studies, Sc ..
- Journalism Department, University of Mississippi
- TV channels
- Radio Stations
- As a host in award functions, reality show, comedy, etc.
- Fox News
- CNN IBN
Top 10 News journalists and anchors
- Lester Holt: Lester Holt is an American broadcast journalist and associated with NBC nightly news.
- Fredricka Whitfield: Fredricka Whitfield is a news anchor of CNN.
- Christiane Amanpour: She is the Chief International anchor of CNN.
- Hu Shuli: She is a Chinese journalist and editor-in-chief of Caixin Media group.
- Bob Woodward: He is an American investigative journalist and one of the most high-profile names in the field of journalism.
- Anderson Cooper: He is an American journalist and host of a popular show named Anderson Cooper 360.
- Louis Sebastian Theroux: He is a British journalist associated with BBC.
- Eugene Scott: He is the reporter of The Washington Post
- Shereen Bhan: She is the Delhi bureau chief and executive Head of CNBC-TV18 in India.
- Yamiche Alcindor: She is the White House journalist for PBS NewsHour.
10 highest paid News Anchors
- Sean Hannity: He is the stalwart at Fox News with a salary of $40 million.
- Diane Sawyer: She is earning $22 million per year. Has been associated with CBS and ABC.
- Robin Roberts: He is the Co-host of ABC. Salary: $18 million.
- George Stephanopoulos: He has been associated with ABC. Salary: $15 million.
- Anderson Cooper: He is an American journalist, known for his show named Anderson Cooper 360. Salary: $12 million.
- Shepard Smith: Shepard Smith is the host of Fox News. Salary: $10 million.
- Maria Bartiromo: He is a reporter for CNBC. Salary: $10 million.
- Joe Scarborough: He is associated with MSNBC. Salary: $8 million.
- Bret Baier: He is the host of Fox News. Salary: $7 million.
- Scott Pelley: He is one of the important anchor of CBS News. Salary: $ 7 million.