Ustrasana is pronounced as ‘oosh-TRAHS-anna’. The meaning of ustra is camel and asana indicates yoga poses. It’s an intermediate level back-bending yoga pose known to open Anahata (Heart chakra).
- English Name(s): Ustrasana, Camel Pose
- Sanskrit: उष्ट्रासन / Uṣṭrāsana
- Pronunciation: oosh-TRAHS-anna
- Meaning: Uṭra: “camel”, āsana: “posture”
How to do Ustrasana step by step
The five easy and simple steps of doing ustrasana are:
- Sit in Vajrasana.
- Stand on the knees with one foot apart and the toes should be pointing back and resting on the floor.
- Inhale; bend backward slowly. Try to place the right palm on the right heel and the left palm on the left heel.
- The thighs should be vertical to the floor and keep the head tilted backward.
- The weight of the body should be evenly supported by the arms and legs.
- Exhale; come to the original position slowly.
Muscles and joints involvement
- Psoas major
- Rectus femoris
- Vastus lateralis
- Pectoralis Major
- Rectus abdominis
- Apex of lung
- Pectoralis minor
Contraindications and Precautions
- High blood pressure
- Low back injury
- Neck injury
- Enlarged thyroid
- Respiratory disorders
- Mild infections
- Menstrual discomfort
- Ardh Chakrasana
- Setu Bandhasana
For the beginner, it is a little bit tough to touch the heels with your palms. It needs practice. However, for beginners, it is advised, to keep your toes pointed downward so that the heels raised upwards. One can also take the help of a wooden block or rope. It may be also practiced in support of other and walls.
Potential benefits of ustrasana
- Lungs expansion: The yoga pose helps to expand the lungs area and associated muscles. This ensures the expansion of the lungs.
- Menstrual discomfort: The practice of the yoga pose helps to overcome discomfort.
- Belly fat burning: It gives adequate stretching to the abdominal region. Continuous practice is good to shed belly fat.
- Spinal flexibility: The asana helps to suitable stretching to the spine, thus helpful in vertebral loosening.
- Diabetes Management: It gives adequate massage to the pancreas and ensures secretion of insulin hormone thereby helpful in the management and prevention of diabetes.
- Better digestion: More or less, all the organs related to digestion experience suitable massage because of the practice of the yoga pose.
- Relieves lower back pain: Those people who suffer from backache, neck ache, or general stiffness in the spine will gain relief through regular practice of this asana.
- Thyroid health: The front of the neck is fully stretched, applying a good massage to the nerves and organs in this region. In particular, the all-important thyroid gland is regulated.
- Back pain: Those who are experiencing low back pain and neck pain are advised to do the yoga pose in the presence of a therapist.
- Heart chakra: This camel pose yoga is supposed to open up the heart chakra (Anahata) and increase strength and flexibility.
Some important information
- Level: Basic
- Style: Vinyasa
- Duration: 30 to 60 seconds
- Repetition: 2-3 times
- Stretches: Abdomen, thighs, thorax, ankles, groin, throat,
- Strengthens: Back
Tips to remember while performing ustrasana
- The chest has to be lifted up
- Hips pushed out
- Knees and shins hip distance and parallel
- Feet straight back
- Hands gently placed on heels to feel a lift through the shoulders.
- Relax your head back
- Shoulder blade draw towards each other
- Press your tailbone forward