What is Ankylosing Spondylitis?
Ankylosing Spondylitis is a rheumatic disease and chronic inflammation of spine and the sarcoiliac joints, targeting people of young age group. It is a chronic disorder generally affecting the axial skeleton and causes extreme back pain and back stiffness that result in decreased in spinal mobility and hinder physical functioning. It may also caused pain to other joints and organs such as eyes, heart, lungs, and kidneys. The disease leads to fatigue, insomnia, depression, anxiety, strain, frustration, stress etc. Respiratory problems, psoriasis and bowel disease are also associated with it. The disease is more common with men.
ankylosing spondylitis Symptoms
The different symptoms and signs of Ankylosing Spondylitis are:
• Chronic pain, inflammation and stiffness in the lower part of the spine.
• Ankylosing spondylitis is associated with an inflammation of eyes.
• Feeling of fatigue.
• Lung fibrosis may occur.
• Functional mobility limited.
• Chest expansion problem
• Loss of appetite.
• Weight loss in the initial stage
• Bowel inflammation.
• Joint pain
• Neck pain
• Heel pain
Causes of ankylosing spondylitis
Exact cause of ankylosing spondylitis is unknown, yet some factors are narrated here:
• Ankylosing spondylitis is likely to be genetically inherited.
• A gene called HLA-B 27 is associated with ankylosing spondylitis.
• Prolong stressful condition may triggered it.
Tests for ankylosing spondylitis
The lists of diagnostic tests are:
• Blood Tests
• Medical history
• Physical examination
Ankylosing Spondylitis Complications
• Spinal rigidity
• Redness and swelling of eyes-Uveitis
• Osteoporosis-weak and brittle.
• Spinal fracture
• Cardiovascular disease
• Neurological problems
• Pulmonary disease
• Inflammation in the bowel
• Difficulty walking
• Breathing Problem
Yoga poses for ankylosing spondylitis
Yoga is a mind- body -soul therapy of alternative system of medicine, where breathing exercise is popular for Ankylosing Spondylitis. Yoga therapy helps in minimizing lower back pain, softens the spinal stiffness and vigor the spinal muscles, enhancing functional capacity and improves spinal flexibility.
• Aasanas like Padahastasana, Ardha chakrasana, Ardhakatichakrasana, , Pawanamuktasana, Bhujangasana, Shalabhasana, Dhanurasana,
Paschimottanasana, Vakrasana are beneficial for the diseases.
• Pranayamas such as Nadishodana, Chandrabhedi Sheethali and Bramari pranayama is useful for the disease.
• Kapalbhati is also effective.
Naturopathy treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis
• Hydrotherapy: hot and cold compresses may alleviate severe pain.
• Avoid all animal fats, tea, coffee, and alcohol.
• Drink plenty of pure and fresh water.
• Drinking cider vinegar + honey three times a day to have a good result.
• Medicine like Celery seeds, yucca, bogbean, devil’s claw, black cohosh, wild yarm, willow bark, is effective at reducing inflammation, stiffness and pain.
• Massage therapy, Aromatherapy, Acupressure and Acupuncture are too suggested for Ankylosing Spondilitis
Ayurveda medicines for ankylosing spondylitis
The objectives of Ayurvedic treatment for ankylosing spondylitis are to ease inflammation and rigidity in the spine and reducing inflammation in other affected organs.
• The extract of turmeric is effective in reducing the pain and inflammation of all types of arthritis and joint pains.
• Giloy is not only effective for ankylosing spondylitis but for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis too.
• Vitex negundo is extremely useful for ankylosing spondylitis.
• The resin product of Boswellia serrata is worldwide known for its anti-inflammatory nature.
• The analgesic and anti-inflammatory feature of Commiphora mukul, is instant.
• Dry Ginger is used to reduce infklammamtion.
• Ashwagandha is a known product for ankylosing spondylitis.
• Methi reduces pain and inflammation in joints.
Homeopathy medicines for ankylosing spondylitis treatment
For better and suitable result, Homeopathic treatment is firmly suggested.
• Calc carb reduces pain and inflammation to those patients who has Leucophlegmatic constitution, light complexion, blue eyes, fair skin etc.
• Stiffness of neck and rheumatic pain can be minimized by Calc phos.
• Phos acid is helpful for neck muscles cramp and Spondylitis of cervical vertebrae.
• Rigidity and swelling of neck, Shoulder pressure, softening of spine etc. can be lessen by Phosphorus.
• Stiffness and Swelling of glands of neck, Scabby elevation on coccyx, inflammatory abscess in lumbar region, Tearing and shootings in the back;
take the help of Silicea.
• Sulphur and Symphytum are too effective for Ankylosing Spondylitis.
• Homeopathic medicines like Kali Carbonicum, Radium Brom, Rhus Toxicodendron, Calcarea Phosphoricum, Aesculus hippocastanum etc. may also be used.
• Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin, ibuprofen, indometacin and Corticosteroids such as prenisone may
suppress inflammation and slow joint damage in severe cases of ankylosing spondylitis.
Home Remedy for ankylosing spondylitis
• Use ginger and black Pepper as it detoxifies your body.
• 1 tsf of Turmeric + boil milk 25-30 minutes, lessen pain.
• Use juices like amla, aloe vera and other herbal one because all these are strengthen the immunity.
• Castor oil + Milk are useful for Ankylosing spondylitis.
• Use fibre so to avoid constipation as constipation may exaggerate the disease.
• Drinking water from a copper pan after keeping it overnight show good result for the disease.
Ankylosing Spondylitis Prevention and Precautions
Since, the disease is related with hereditary, so it is tough to prevent ankylosing spondylitis, but early detection, proper and suitable treatment at the right time may help.
• The disease is associated with spine so aspects of examination are more important.
• Keep yourself away from cold and dampness.
• keep yourself warm
• prevent injuries
• Eat a balanced diet.
• Vitamin C & A, and consumption of pears, apples, berries, pawpaws etc. is recommended as these bolster the immune system.
• Essential supplements like omega-3 oils, calcium, magnesium and sodium should given to the patients.