What is the meaning of Ankylosing Spondylitis?
Ankylosing Spondylitis is a rheumatic disease and chronic inflammation of the spine and the sacroiliac joints, targeting young people. It is a chronic disorder that generally affects the axial skeleton and causes extreme back pain and back stiffness, resulting in decreased spinal mobility and hindering physical functioning. It may also cause pain to other joints and organs, such as the eyes, heart, lungs, and kidneys. The disease leads to fatigue, insomnia, depression, anxiety, strain, frustration, stress etc. Respiratory problems, psoriasis, and bowel disease are also associated with it. The condition is more common in men.
The different symptoms are:
- Acute pain in the lower region of the spine.
- Eyes inflammation
- Feeling of fatigue
- Lung fibrosis
- Limited functional mobility
- Problems related to chest expansion
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss in the initial stage
- Bowel inflammation
- Pain in joint, neck and heel
The exact cause of ankylosing spondylitis is unknown, yet some factors are being mentioned here:
- Ankylosing spondylitis is likely to be genetically inherited.
- A gene known as HLA-B 27 is associated with it.
- Prolonged stressful conditions may trigger it.
The lists of diagnostic tests are:
- Blood Tests
- Medical history
- Physical examination
- Spinal rigidity
- Redness and swelling of eyes-Uveitis
- Osteoporosis-weak and brittle.
- Spinal fracture
- Cardiovascular disease
- Neurological problems
- Pulmonary disease
- Inflammation in the bowel
- Difficulty walking
- Breathing Problem
10 best Yoga for ankylosing spondylitis
Yoga helps minimise lower back pain, softens spinal stiffness, enhances functional capacity, and improves spinal flexibility.
- Ardha Chakrasana
- Pranayama viz. Nadishodana, Chandrabhedi, Sheethali, Bramari, Kapalbhati
4 Naturopathy treatments for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Hydrotherapy: hot and cold compresses help alleviating severe pain.
- Drink cider vinegar + honey three times a day for a good result.
- Herbal medicines like Celery seeds, yucca, bogbean, devil’s claw, black cohosh, wild yarn, and willow bark effectively reduce inflammation, stiffness, and pain.
- natural treatments like massage therapy, aromatherapy, acupressure, and acupuncture are too suggested for this disease.
8 Ayurveda medicines for ankylosing spondylitis
The objectives of Ayurvedic treatment for ankylosing spondylitis are to ease inflammation and rigidity in the spine, thereby reducing inflammation in other affected organs.
- The turmeric extract effectively reduces the pain and inflammation of all types of arthritis and joint pains.
- Giloy is not only effective for ankylosing spondylitis but for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis too.
- Vitex negundo is extremely useful for it.
- The resin product of Boswellia serrata is known worldwide for its anti-inflammatory nature.
- The analgesic and anti-inflammatory feature of Commiphora mukul is instant.
- Dry Ginger is used to reducing inflammation.
- Ashwagandha is a known product for ankylosing spondylitis.
- Methi reduces pain and inflammation in joints.
8 Homeopathy medicines for ankylosing spondylitis
For better and more relevant results, Homeopathic treatment is firmly suggested.
- Calc carb reduces pain and inflammation to patients with a Leucophlegmatic constitution, light complexion, blue eyes, fair skin, etc.
- Stiffness of the neck and rheumatic pain can be minimised by Calc phos.
- Phos acid is helpful for neck muscles cramp and Spondylitis of cervical vertebrae.
- Rigidity and swelling of the neck, Shoulder pressure, softening of the spine etc. can be lessened by Phosphorus.
- Stiffness and Swelling of glands of the neck, Scabby elevation on the coccyx, inflammatory abscess in the lumbar region, tearing and shootings in the back; for all these, take the help of Silicea.
- Sulphur and Symphytum are too practical for Ankylosing Spondylitis.
- Homeopathic medicines like Kali Carbonicum, Radium Brom, Rhus Toxicodendron, Calcarea Phosphoricum, Aesculus hippocastanum etc., may also be used.
- Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin, ibuprofen, indomethacin, and Corticosteroids such as prednisone may suppress inflammation and slow joint damage in severe cases of ankylosing spondylitis.
6 Home Remedies for ankylosing spondylitis
- Use ginger and black Pepper as it detoxifies your body.
- 1 tsp of Turmeric + boil milk 25-30 minutes, lessen pain.
- Use juices like amla, aloe vera, and other herbs to strengthen immunity.
- Castor oil + Milk are beneficial for Ankylosing spondylitis.
- Use fibre to avoid constipation, as constipation may exaggerate the disease.
- Drinking water from a copper pan after keeping it overnight show good result for the disease.
Prevention and Precautions
Since the disease is related to hereditary, it is tough to prevent ankylosing spondylitis, but early detection and proper and suitable treatment at the right time may help.
- The disease is associated with the spine, so aspects of examination are more important.
- Keep yourself away from cold and dampness.
- Keep yourself warm
- Prevent injuries
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Vitamin C & A, and consumption of pears, apples, berries, pawpaw etc., is recommended as these bolster the immune system.
- Essential supplements like omega-3 oils, calcium, magnesium, and sodium should be given to the patients.
- Avoid all animal fats, tea, coffee, and alcohol.
- Drink plenty of pure and fresh water.
6 thoughts on “Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment and Prevention by Yoga, Ayurveda, Homeopathy and Home Remedy”
Well balanced article with whole lot of information for treatment of ankylosing spondylitis. Many thanks for the efforts as it is of great help to understand the disease.
I m 34yrs old men.I’ve ankle spondlities problem from 6yrs. I want to control in naturopathy. Plz suggest
PLEASE TAKE AYURVEDIC MEDICINE WITH PHYSIOTYHERAPY…
I am 53 year old.i suffering AS past 15year.pleas suggest ayurbedic treayment comlete cure from AS.
i am suffering 1 years for ankylosing spondalyties please suggest ayurvedic treatment for cure AS.
i want treatment for ankylosing spondilities and i am 19 years old staying in ahmedabad , please suggest me best doctor in ayurvedic available in ahmedabad