What is the meaning of Ankylosing Spondylitis?
Ankylosing Spondylitis is a rheumatic disease and chronic inflammation of the spine and the sacroiliac joints, targeting people of young age group. It is a chronic disorder generally affecting the axial skeleton and causes extreme back pain and back stiffness that results in decreased spinal mobility and hinders physical functioning. It may also cause pain to other joints and organs such as the eyes, heart, lungs, and kidneys. The disease leads to fatigue, insomnia, depression, anxiety, strain, frustration, stress etc. Respiratory problems, psoriasis, and bowel disease are also associated with it. The disease is more common in men.
Ankylosing spondylitis symptoms
The different symptoms are:
- Acute pain in the lower region of the spine.
- Eyes inflammation
- Feeling of fatigue
- Lung fibrosis
- Limited functional mobility
- Problems related with chest expansion
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss in the initial stage
- Bowel inflammation
- Pain in joint, neck and heel
Ankylosing spondylitis Causes
The exact cause of ankylosing spondylitis is unknown, yet some factors are being mentioned here:
- Ankylosing spondylitis is likely to be genetically inherited.
- A gene known as HLA-B 27 is associated with it.
- Prolong stressful conditions may trigger it.
Tests for ankylosing spondylitis
The lists of diagnostic tests are:
- Blood Tests
- Medical history
- Physical examination
Ankylosing Spondylitis Complications
- Spinal rigidity
- Redness and swelling of eyes-Uveitis
- Osteoporosis-weak and brittle.
- Spinal fracture
- Cardiovascular disease
- Neurological problems
- Pulmonary disease
- Inflammation in the bowel
- Difficulty walking
- Breathing Problem
10 best Yoga for ankylosing spondylitis
The practice of Yoga helps in minimizing lower back pain, softens the spinal stiffness, enhances functional capacity, and improves spinal flexibility.
- Ardha Chakrasana
- Pranayama viz. Nadishodana, Chandrabhedi, Sheethali, Bramari, Kapalbhati
4 Wonder Naturopathy treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Hydrotherapy: hot and cold compresses helps alleviating severe pain.
- Drinking cider vinegar + honey three times a day to have a good result.
- Herbal medicines like Celery seeds, yucca, bogbean, devil’s claw, black cohosh, wild yarn, willow bark, is effective at reducing inflammation, stiffness, and pain.
- The natural treatments like massage therapy, aromatherapy, acupressure, and acupuncture are too suggested for this disease.
8 unknown Ayurveda medicines for ankylosing spondylitis
The objectives of Ayurvedic treatment for ankylosing spondylitis are to ease inflammation and rigidity in the spine thereby reducing inflammation in other affected organs.
- The extract of turmeric is effective in reducing the pain and inflammation of all types of arthritis and joint pains.
- Giloy is not only effective for ankylosing spondylitis but for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis too.
- Vitex negundo is extremely useful for it.
- The resin product of Boswellia serrata is worldwide known for its anti-inflammatory nature.
- The analgesic and anti-inflammatory feature of Commiphora mukul, is instant.
- Dry Ginger is used to reduce inflammation.
- Ashwagandha is a known product for ankylosing spondylitis.
- Methi reduces pain and inflammation in joints.
8 Homeopathy medicines for ankylosing spondylitis treatment
For better and suitable results, Homeopathic treatment is firmly suggested.
- Calc carb reduces pain and inflammation to those patients who have Leucophlegmatic constitution, light complexion, blue eyes, fair skin, etc.
- Stiffness of the neck and rheumatic pain can be minimized by Calc phos.
- Phos acid is helpful for neck muscles cramp and Spondylitis of cervical vertebrae.
- Rigidity and swelling of neck, Shoulder pressure, softening of spine etc. can be lessened by Phosphorus.
- Stiffness and Swelling of glands of neck, Scabby elevation on coccyx, inflammatory abscess in lumbar region, tearing and shootings in the back; for all these, take the help of Silicea.
- Sulphur and Symphytum are too effective for Ankylosing Spondylitis.
- Homeopathic medicines like Kali Carbonicum, Radium Brom, Rhus Toxicodendron, Calcarea Phosphoricum, Aesculus hippocastanum etc. may also be used.
- Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin, ibuprofen, indometacin, and Corticosteroids such as prenisone may suppress inflammation and slow joint damage in severe cases of ankylosing spondylitis.
6 Home Remedies for ankylosing spondylitis
- Use ginger and black Pepper as it detoxifies your body.
- 1 tsp of Turmeric + boil milk 25-30 minutes, lessen pain.
- Use juices like amla, aloe vera, and other herbal one because all these strengthen the immunity.
- Castor oil + Milk are useful for Ankylosing spondylitis.
- Use fiber so to avoid constipation as constipation may exaggerate the disease.
- Drinking water from a copper pan after keeping it overnight show good result for the disease.
Ankylosing Spondylitis Prevention and Precautions
Since the disease is related to hereditary, so it is tough to prevent ankylosing spondylitis, but early detection, proper and suitable treatment at the right time may help.
- The disease is associated with the spine so aspects of examination are more important.
- Keep yourself away from cold and dampness.
- Keep yourself warm
- Prevent injuries
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Vitamin C & A, and consumption of pears, apples, berries, pawpaw’s etc. is recommended as these bolster the immune system.
- Essential supplements like omega-3 oils, calcium, magnesium, and sodium should be given to the patients.
- Avoid all animal fats, tea, coffee, and alcohol.
- Drink plenty of pure and freshwater.