Depression is not a disease. It is a mental illness and emotional disorder. As per the World Health Organization (WHO), depression will be considered the second major cause of disability worldwide by 2020. It is more common among women in the form of menstrual cycle changes, pregnancy, miscarriage, postpartum period, pre-menopause, and menopause.
- The condition is not the same for everybody.
- Feelings of helplessness and physical slowdown.
- Experiencing hopelessness
- Feeling sad and empty.
- Tolerance level is low; therefore, irritability and restlessness are common.
- Weight gain or loss may happen. Weight changes are visible within a month.
- Sleeping disorders like insomnia or oversleeping.
- Deep exhausted and physically drained. Even a tiny work seems to be a monumental task.
- The ability to think, make decisions, or concentrate gets reduced.
- Continuous fear of death, sadness, and suicide leads to clinical depression.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in day-to-day activities
- Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt.
- You harshly criticise yourself for perceived faults and mistakes.
- Continuous feelings of headaches, back pain, muscle aches, stomach pain, etc.
- The factors and causes of clinical depression are varied, like biological, genetic, environmental, psychological, and medical illnesses.
- Losing near and dear ones.
- Fighting with chronic diseases and illness.
- Experiencing trauma.
- Changes in brain function and brain structure.
- Personality features like Low self-esteem, negative thinking, unwarranted worry, more sensitiveness, over-dependence, and pessimistic view.
- Stress leads to psychological depression.
- Chronic diseases like AIDS, Cancer, Parkinson’s, Heart attack, Hormonal disorders, and Diabetes make one depressed.
- The tendency to get depressed is more familiar with bipolar disorder.
- Certain medicines like predisposing, sleeping pills, and birth control drugs may cause it.
- Misuse of alcohol and drugs.
- Diet lack of folic acid and Vitamin B-12 may lead to it.
Complications of depression
It is a severe mental disorder that may ruin individuals and families. It is advisable to take an expert’s view regarding the diseases. Alternative remedies have a more significant role to play here. Using and practising Alternative medicine like Yoga, Massage, Acupuncture, etc., shows positive results in this direction.
- Suicidal behaviour is a dangerous complication, so identifying suicidal behaviour can lift the person from this mental bipolar disorder
- Substance and Alcohol abuse
- Heart attack, Diabetes, and other medical conditions
- Obese and eating disorders cause appetite tremendously and lead to weight gain. Eating disorders deteriorate signs and symptoms.
- Low esteem and self-injury
- Anxiety and Pain disorders are the outcomes of it.
- The emotional outburst is familiar.
- Sexual dysfunction
- Acute Back pain
- Fear of open or public gathering
Risk factors for depression
So many reasons can be accounted for as risk factors for depression. In some cases, it is a traumatic family history. It also includes medication and dreadful diseases like Diabetes, Parkinson’s, hormonal disorders, etc. It may start at any stage but is more chronic at the old location. Some clauses trigger risk factors.
- Women are more prone to it than men.
- People aged over 60 have a greater risk.
- The possibility of developing the condition is greater if somebody had experienced it earlier.
- Marital relationship problem.
- Chronic pain
- Parental depression
- Childhood trauma like the death of a parent, emotional abuse, parental divorce, etc.
- Loss of employment.
- It is more common in urban areas.
- Certain illnesses like AIDS, Cancer, Heart disease, Diabetes, Hormonal Disorders, etc.
- Abuse of alcohol, narcotics, nicotine, etc.
- African-American are at a greater risk for major depressive disorder.
- Poor people are prone.
- Smokers show depressive symptoms. Antidepressant helps to quit smoking.
- Clinical depression develops with a chronic medical condition, stressful life experience, substance abuse like cocaine, lack of social support, ADHD, Obesity, etc.
Yoga for depression cure
Depression is not only seen in developing countries; developed countries are too prone to clinical depression. Only in the USA about 17 million people are diagnosed with depression. Practising Yoga with simple Asanas and Pranayamas may bring a pleasant environment to the person and keep the condition away. Yoga exercises help circulate oxygen to the brain, muscles, and other body parts. For the disorder, meditation may be a stress buster.
Here, some easy Yoga postures are given for it. Yoga is an effective alternative treatment for depression. Yoga therapy is not just an exercise; it is a holistic form of treatment and provides therapeutic benefits.
- Practicing some easy Asanas and Pranayamas helps one avoid illness and diseases.
- Meditation is the best tool to control it.
- Shavasana is beneficial in taming the stress response and mental tiredness.
- Viparita Karni enhances blood circulation in the brain and facilitates mental calmness and ease from clinical anxiety.
- Parvatasana helps to balance the nervous system and is beneficial.
- Padmasana helps relieve physical, nervous, and emotional problems and is used for anxiety and depression.
- Makarasana eases physical and mental tiredness and improves mood and brain function.
- Balasana acts like a depression buster.
- Surya Namaskar( Sun Salutation) energises the entire neuro-glandular and neuro-muscular system of the body. It is highly advisable for such patients.
- Ujjayi Pranayama is beneficial in curing and healing it.
- Laughter Yoga is the best tip and solution.
- Bhramari Pranayama relieves stress and tension.
- Sheetali and Sheetkari Pranayama provide an overall cooling effect.
- Relaxation may cure the disorder.
Ayurveda for depression treatment
Every human being, at a particular stage of his life, experiences depression and anxiety. The main characteristic features of it are sadness and hopelessness. As per Ayurvedic Therapy, the disorder is considered a classical sign of imbalance in the body. If it is left untreated, all these cause further complications. Ayurveda as an alternative medicine is beneficial. Ayurveda, the science of life, cures clinical depression in a natural way without side effects that are associated with modern medicine. A neurological illness involves a person’s body, moods, and thoughts. It is characterised by blankness, helplessness, hopelessness, and worthlessness. It is the most common mental disorder after anxiety.
- Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) is beneficial for cooling and smoothening the nervous system and brain. Regular use of Brahmi oil eases the problem.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) keeps away from pessimistic thoughts, enhances the mind function, and a cure for it.
- Mandook Parni (Centella Asiatica) is good for it.
- Turmeric (Curcuma Longa) helps to cure the disorder.
- Tinospora Cordifolia helps to increase blood circulation in the brain.
- Cardamom ( Elattaria cardamomum) Cardamom tea shows a positive, surprising result effect for such patients.
- Guggulu ( Commiphora wightii) contains guggulsterone, which involves good coordination in the nervous system and is hence suitable for it.
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) helps to remove the signs by smoothening the mind.
- Meditation can bring balance among an individual’s physical, mental, and emotional domains.
- Ayurvedic oil massages increase blood circulation, cools, and soothe the mind.
- Alternative therapy like Shirodhara (allowing water flow to fall slowly in the middle of the forehead), Shirobasti, and oil massage therapy are beneficial.
- Massages like Thai massage and Swedish massage are beneficial.
- Eating an apple with honey and milk acts as a mood buster.
- Lemon juice is also recommended.
Homeopathy medicine for depression
Homeopathic treatment is very effective for depression. Homeopathy cures neurological disorders like anxiety, bipolar, and stress in the same pattern as conventional antidepressants. Homeopathy, a component of alternative medicine, shows encouraging results with no side effects and without including any addiction-forming drugs. Essential features like disinterest, suicidal thoughts and nervousness can be cured through homoeopathic medicine like Arsenicum, aurum, calcium, Ignatia, Kali, Lachesis, and atrium. It is recommended to use homoeopathy as a Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) to other treatments such as psychotherapy and conventional medication. Homeopathic remedies provide a fast and lasting cure. Homeopathic remedies treat all types of depression.
- Ignatia is prescribed when the condition is caused by improper reasons, like bursting into tears or laughing without reason.
- Pulsatilla is beneficial in case of hormonal changes.
- Sepia is recommended when depression occurs along with irritability.
- When restlessness is common, Arsenicum is beneficial.
- Aurum is referred to when the patient shows a suicidal tendency.
- Calcarea carbonica is given when depression is caused due to physical illness or too much work.
- Causticum is beneficial in the treatment of grief and loss.
- Cimicifuga is suitable for it.
- Kali phosphoricum is helpful when the problem is experienced due to prolonged emotional stress.
- Natrum carbonicum helps to heal a person’s mind.
- Natrum muriaticum overcame the condition due to anxiety, insomnia, and back pain.
- Staphysagria is helpful for it on account of anxiety, insomnia, and headache.
Naturopathy for depression
It is the most prevalent of all emotional disorders. The disorder increases markedly at the old stage. Nature cure treats it through diet, physical exercise, scientific relaxation, and meditation.
- Nutritional therapy to build brain chemicals such as serotonin and norepinephrine.
- Whole grains and green vegetables are needed to cure depression
- Preferred good mood foods like whole grain, bread, bananas, oranges, and grapefruits.
- Banana is good as it contains magnesium.
- Oranges and grapefruits are valuable in this condition.
- Tea, coffee, beverages, soft drinks, white sugar, food colourings, chemical additives, and strong condiments should be avoided.
- Apple is tonic and recharges the nerves with new energy and life.
- Cashewnut is a good remedy.
- Asparagus is beneficial.
- Cardamom is a valuable product for the disorder.
- Lemon balm is effective in the treatment of mental depression.
- Roses are helpful to elevate the mood.
- Proper exercise also plays a more significant role in the cure of it.
- Exercise improves the function of the Autonomic Nervous.
- Adequate rest, relaxation, and meditation are essential to overcome the disorder.
Surprising home remedies for depression
Depression is characterised by hopelessness and despair and manifests sadness, too. It is one of the most common emotional disorders. About 14.8 million Americans suffer from major depressive disorders. Whether you are affected by anxiety or depression, do some alternative and complementary therapies at home to treat the symptoms of it. Home remedy offers a complete solution for holistic health and wellness.
There are home remedies that would help patients treat anxiety, stress, and other neurological disorders by uplifting their mood. Here, information on home remedies, herbal remedies, and natural treatments for the condition is given.
- 2-3 Cardamom seeds in tea provide pleasing to the mind and body and a natural cure.
- To refresh yourself and avoid anxiety, eat an apple with milk and honey.
- Take one or 2-gram powder of dry Asparagus root to treat a bad mood.
- Tea with ¼ tsp of basil + ½ tsp of sage, twice a day, to relieve it.
- An immersion bath for one hour daily is a good natural cure remedy.
- Cashews by ensuring activeness and energy levels to the body is extremely beneficial.
- One cup of rice milk + 3 tsp oatmeal + almond + dried fruits is effective.
- Take one cup of boiled lavender leaves in water twice daily to cure it.
- Increase the intake of Vitamin B-rich food as its deficiency may depress one’s mind.
- Exercise or brisk walking releases endorphins that enhance mood.
- Breathing exercise increases the oxygen flow to the brain and helps relieve depression.
- Put fresh rose petals in a cup of boiling water, add sugar, then use to get relief from the condition.
- Boil one cup of water with 5-6 rosemary leaves, add some honey, and leave for cooling before drinking. It is a good remedy to recharge your energy.
The best diet for depression
If a person does not eat properly, he may face anxiety and depression due to a deficiency of certain chemicals. Certain diet habits along with doing and don’t are briefed for information purposes to make you healthy. Treating it through diet is one of the novel steps. Dietary imbalances may cause the disorder. Vitamins and minerals are necessary for mental health and improving moods. Diet and depression are closely linked.
- The deficiency of vitamin D shows the main symptoms of it.
- An omega-3 fatty acid that makes up much of the brain. It would help relieve the disorder. Omega-3 fatty acid gives a quick result as drugs.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B-Complex, Biotin, Folic Acid, and Vitamin C also leads to digressional problems.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B1 deficiency may cause brain disorders as the brain and this vitamin convert glucose into fuel. If the mechanism gets disturbed, anxiety and gastrointestinal disorders occur.
- Lack of vitamin B3 is associated with mental slowness and anxiety.
- Vitamin B5 cures and reduces symptoms like fatigue, stress, and irritation.
- Vitamin B6 is good for uplifting mood.
- The use of calcium and magnesium supplements is recommended.
How to prevent depression
Depression is a leading psychiatric disorder that may sometimes result in suicide. Control and prevention are possible through following specific treatments and therapies of alternative medicine. Several complementary medicine interventions are efficacious in treating this.
- Follow good health habits.
- A proper and balanced diet is recommended.
- Yogic exercise, especially Relaxation and Meditation, is one of the novel solutions.
- Shavasana in Yoga is highly recommended and acts as a stress reducer.
- Sound sleep also keeps you away from it.
- Think positively
- Do exercise regularly.
- Divert your mind and enjoy other activities and hobbies.
- Eating refined sugar and carbohydrate is avoided.
- Avoid Coffee, Tea, Fast, and junk food to give healthy development to your brain.
- Avoid Alcohol and cigarettes.
- The skipping of breakfast should be avoided as it is directly related to the condition.