Depression is not a disease. It is a mental illness and emotional disorders. As per World Health Organization (WHO), depression will be considered as the second major cause of disability in the world by 2020. It is more common among women in the form of menstrual cycle changes, pregnancy, miscarriage, postpartum period, pre-menopause, and menopause.
- The condition is not same to everybody.
- Feelings of helplessness and physically slow down.
- Experiencing hopelessness
- Feeling sad and empty.
- Tolerance level is low therefore irritability and restlessness is common.
- Weight gain or loss may happen. Weight changes are clearly visible within a month.
- Sleeping disorders like insomnia or oversleeping.
- Deep fatigued and physically drained. Even a small work seems to be a huge task.
- Ability to think, making decision or concentration gets reduced.
- Continuous fear of death, sadness and suicide leads to clinically depressed.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in day-to-day activities
- Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt.
- You harshly criticize yourself for perceived faults and mistakes.
- Continuous feelings of headaches, back pain, muscle ache, stomach pain etc.
- The factors and causes of clinical depression are varied like biological, genetic, environmental, psychological and medical illness.
- Losing near and dear ones.
- Fighting with chronic diseases and illness.
- Experiencing trauma.
- Changes in brain function and brain structure.
- Personality features like Low self-esteem, negative way of thinking, unwarranted worry, more sensitiveness, over dependence and pessimistic view.
- Stress leads to psychological depression.
- Chronic diseases like AIDS, Cancer, Parkinson’s, Heart attack, Hormonal disorders, Diabetes makes one depressed.
- Tendency to get depress is more common with bipolar disorder.
- Certain medicine like predispose, sleeping pills, birth control drugs may cause it.
- Misuse of alcohol and drugs.
- Diet lack in folic acid and Vitamin B-12 may lead to it.
Complications of depression
It is a serious mental disorder that may ruin individuals and families. It is advisable to take experts view regarding the disorders. Alternative remedies have greater role to play here. Using and practicing some forms of Alternative medicine like Yoga, Massage, Acupuncture, etc., show positive result in this direction.
- Suicidal Behaviour-most dangerous complication, so, identifying suicidal behavior can lift the person from this metal bipolar disorders
- Substance and Alcohol abuse
- Heart attack, Diabetes and other medical conditions
- Obese and eating disorders that cause appetite tremendously and leads to weight gain. Eating disorders deteriorate the signs and symptoms.
- Low esteem and self-injury
- Anxiety and Pain disorders are the outcome of it.
- Emotional outburst is common.
- Sexual dysfunction
- Acute Back pain
- Fear of open or public gathering
Risk factors for depression
There are so many reasons that can be accounted as risk factors for depression. In some cases, it is traumatic family history. It also includes medication, and some dreadful diseases like Diabetes, Parkinson Diseases, Hormonal disorders, etc. It may start at any stages but it is more chronic at the old stage. There are some clauses that trigger risk factor.
- Women are more prone to it than men.
- People age over 60 has greater risk.
- Possibility of developing the condition is more if somebody had experienced earlier.
- Marital relationship problem.
- Chronic pain
- Parental depression
- Childhood trauma like death of parent, emotional abuse, parental divorce, etc.
- Loss of employment.
- It is more common in urban areas.
- Certain illness likes AIDS, Cancer, Heart disease, Diabetes, Hormonal Disorders, etc.
- Abuse alcohol, narcotics, nicotine etc.
- African-American are at a greater risk for major depressive disorder.
- Poor people are prone.
- Smokers show depressive symptoms. Antidepressant helps to quit smoking.
- Clinical depression develop with chronic medical condition, stressful life experience, substance abuse like cocaine, lack of social support, ADHD, Obesity, etc.
Yoga for depression cure
Depression is not only seen in the developing countries, developed countries too prone to clinical depression. Only in USA, about 17 million people are diagnosed with depression. Practicing Yoga with simple Asanas and Pranayamas may bring a pleasant environment to the person and keep the condition away. Yoga exercises help to circulate oxygen to brain, muscles and other parts of the body. For the disorder, meditation may be stress buster
Here, some easy Yoga postures are given for it. Yoga is an effective alternative treatment for depression. Yoga therapy is not just an exercise; it is a holistic form of treatment and provides therapeutic benefits.
- Practicing some easy Asanas and Pranaymas make one keep away from illness and diseases.
- Meditation is the best tool to control it.
- Shavasana is highly useful in taming the stress response and mental tiredness.
- Viparita Karni enhances blood circulation in brain and facilitates mental calmness and ease from clinical anxiety.
- Parvatasana helps to balance nervous system and beneficial.
- Padmasana is helpful in relieving the physical, nervous and emotional problems and useful for anxiety and depression.
- Makarasana eases physical and mental tiredness, improve mood and brain function.
- Balasana acts like as a depression buster.
- Surya Namaskar( Sun Salutation) energizes the entire neuro-glandular and neuro-muscular system of the body. It is extremely advisable for such patients.
- Ujjayi Pranayama is beneficial in curing and healing it.
- Laughter Yoga is the best tip and solution.
- Bhramari Pranayama relieves stress and tension.
- Sheetali and Sheetkari Pranayama provide overall cooling effect.
- Relaxation may cure the disorder.
Ayurveda for depression treatment
Every human being, at a certain stage of his life, experienced depression and anxiety. The main characteristics features of it are sadness and hopelessness. As per Ayurvedic Therapy, the disorder is considered as a classical sign of imbalance in the body. If it is left untreated, all these cause further complications. Ayurveda as an alternative medicine is beneficial. Ayurveda, the science of life, cures clinical depression in a natural way without side effects that are associated with modern medicine. It is a neurological illness that involves the body, moods and thoughts of a person. It is characterized by blankness, feeling of helplessness, hopelessness and worthlessness. It is the most common mental disorder after anxiety.
- Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) is beneficial for cooling and smoothening the nervous system and brain. Regular use of Brahmi oil eases the problem.
- Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) keep away from pessimistic thoughts, enhance the mind function and a cure for it.
- Mandook Parni (Centella Asiatica) is good for it.
- Turmeric (Curcuma Longa) helps to cure the disorder.
- Tinospora Cordifolia helps to increase blood circulation in brain.
- Cardamom ( Elattaria cardamomum) Cardamom tea show positive surprising result effect for such patients.
- Guggulu ( Commiphora wightii) contains guggulsterones involves well coordination in the nervous system, hence good for it.
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) helps to remove the signs by smoothening the mind.
- Meditation has the power to bring balance among physical, mental and emotional domains of an individual.
- Ayurvedic oil massages increases blood circulation, cools and soothe the mind.
- Alternative therapy like Shirodhara (allowing a flow of water to fall at the middle of the forehead slowly), Shirobasti and oil massage therapy-Abhyanga is extremely useful.
- Massages like Thai massage, Swedish massage is beneficial.
- Eating apple with honey and milk acts as a mood buster.
- Lemon juice is also recommended.
Homeopathy medicine for depression
Homeopathic treatment is very effective for depression. Homeopathy cures neurological disorders like anxiety, bipolar and stress in the same pattern as conventional antidepressant do. Homeopathy, a component of alternative medicine shows encouraging result with no side effects and also without including any addiction forming drugs. Important features like disinterest, suicidal thought, and nervousness can be cure through homeopathic medicine like arsenicum, aurum, calcium, ignatia, Kali, Lachesis, natrium. It is recommended to use homeopathy as a Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) to other treatments such as psychotherapy and conventional medication. Homeopathic remedies provide fast and lasting cure. Homeopathic remedies treat all types of depression
- Ignatia is prescribed when the condition is caused due to improper reasons like bursting into tears or laughing without reasons.
- Pulsatilla is very useful in case of hormonal changes.
- Sepia is recommended when depression is happened along with irritability.
- When restless is common, Arsenicum is very useful.
- Aurum is referred when the patient show suicidal tendency.
- Calcarea carbonica is given when depression is caused due to physical illness or too much work.
- Causticum is beneficial in the treatment of grief and loss.
- Cimicifuga is a good for it.
- Kali phosphoricum is helpful when the problem is experienced due to prolonged emotional stress.
- Natrum carbonicum helps to heal a person’s mind.
- Natrum muriaticum overcome the condition that happened due to anxiety, insomnia and back pain.
- Staphysagria is helpful for it on account of anxiety, insomnia and headache.
Naturopathy for depression
It is most prevalent of all emotional disorders. The disorder increases markedly at the old stage. Nature cure treats it through diet, physical exercise, scientific relaxation and meditation.
- Nutritional therapy to build brain chemicals such as serotonin and norepinephrine.
- Whole grains and green vegetables are needed to cure depression
- Preferred good mood foods like whole grain, bread, bananas, oranges and grape fruits.
- Banana is good as it contains magnesium.
- Oranges and grapefruits are valuable in this condition.
- Tea, coffee, beverages, soft drinks, white sugar, food colourings, chemical additives and strong condiments should be avoided.
- Apple is tonic and recharges the nerves with new energy and life.
- Cashewnut is good remedy.
- Asparagus is beneficial.
- Cardamom is a useful product for the disorder.
- Lemon balm is effective in the treatment of mental depression.
- Roses are useful to elevate the mood.
- Proper exercise also play greater role in the cure of it.
- Exercise improves the function of the Autonomic Nervous.
- Adequate rest, relaxation, and meditation are essential to overcome the disorder.
Surprising home remedies for depression
Depression is characterized by hopelessness and despair and manifests sadness too. It is one of the most common emotional disorders. About 14.8 million Americans are suffered with major depressive disorders. Whether, you affected with anxiety or depression, do some alternative and complementary therapies at home to treat the symptoms of it. Home remedy offers a complete solution for holistic health and wellness.
There are home remedies that would help patients in treating anxiety, stress, and other neurological disorders by uplifting mood. Here, information on home remedies, herbal remedies and natural treatment for the condition is given.
- 2-3 Cardamom seeds in tea provide pleasing to mind and body and a natural cure.
- To refresh yourself and keep away from anxiety, eat an apple with milk and honey.
- Take 1 or 2 gram powder of dry Asparagus root to care of bad mood.
- Tea with ¼ tsp of basil + ½ tsp of sage, twice a day, to relieve from it.
- Immersion bath for one hour daily is a good nature cure remedy.
- Cashew by ensuring activeness and energy levels to body is extremely beneficial.
- One cup of rice milk + 3 tsp oatmeal + almond + dried fruits is effective.
- Take one cup of boil lavender leaves in water twice a day in curing of it.
- Increase the intake of Vitamin B rich food as its deficiency may depress one’s mind.
- Exercise or brisk walk releases endorphins that enhances mood.
- Breathing exercise increases the oxygen flow to brain and is helpful in relieving from depression.
- Put fresh rose petals in a cup of boiling water, add sugar then use to get relieve from the condition.
- Boil one cup of water with 5-6 rosemary leaves, add some honey, and leave for cooling before drink. It is a good remedy to recharge your energy.
Best diet for depression
If a person not taking diet properly, he may face some sorts of anxiety and depression due to deficiency of certain chemicals. Certain diet habits along with do and don’t is briefed for information purpose to make you healthy. Treating it through diet is one of the novel steps. Dietary imbalances may causes the disorder. Vitamin and minerals are necessary for mental health and improving moods. Diet and depression are closely linked.
- Deficiency of vitamin D shows main symptoms of it.
- Omega-3 fatty acid that makes up a large percentage of brain. It would be helpful in relieving the disorder. Omega-3 fatty acid gives as quick result as drugs.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B-Complex, Biotin, Folic Acid and Vitamin C also lead to digressional problems.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B1 may cause brain disorders as brain along with this vitamin convert glucose into fuel. If the mechanism get disturb, anxiety, gastrointestinal disorders occur.
- Lack of vitamin B3 is associated with mental slowness and anxiety.
- Vitamin B5 cures and reduces symptoms like fatigue, stress and irritation.
- Vitamin B6 is good to uplift mood.
- Use of calcium and magnesium supplement is recommended.
How to prevent depression
Depression is a leading psychiatric disorder that may sometimes resulted in suicide. Control and prevention is possible through following certain treatments and therapies of alternative medicine. Several complementary medicine interventions are efficacious in treating this.
- Follow good health habits.
- Proper and balanced diet is recommended.
- Yogic exercise, especially Relaxation and Meditation is one of the novel solutions.
- Shavasana in Yoga is highly recommended and acts like as a stress reducer.
- Sound sleep also keeps you away from it.
- Think positively
- Do exercise regularly.
- Divert your mind and enjoy other activities and hobbies.
- Eating of refined sugar and carbohydrate is avoided.
- Avoid Coffee, Tea, Fast and junk food to give healthy development to your brain.
- Avoid Alcohol and cigarettes.
- Skipping of breakfast should be avoided as it directly related with the condition.