Best benefits of gotu kola
Gotu kola is profusely found in the Asiatic region and used since the times for various medicinal purposes in India as well as China. Gotu kola herb is a well-known ayurvedic medicine for brain, memory, intellect and wisdom. Its leaves, which are just like human brain, are used for various diseases and disorders such as common cold, flu, influenza, urinary tract infection, tuberculosis, syphilis, dysentery, shingles, Alzheimer’s disease, jaundice, hepatitis and epilepsy. It is also beneficial for bacterial, viral and parasitic infections. It shows soothing effects in body, mind and spirit and acts like as a panacea for many diseases.
- Brain health: It is used as memory enhancer and also brain tonic. It helps to energies your brain cells and nerves.
How to use: The leaves of this plant may be taken for development of brain. Powdered leaves along with cow’s milk are given for mental weakness and to improve memory. Because of its great significance as ayurvedic medicine for brain, sometimes, it is regarded as a brain food. It is also used to improve memory. It is beneficial for mental ability of mentally retarded children. The mix of gotu kola, brahmi, ginkgo, cat’s claw, and rosemary helps in cognitive development. To a greater extent, it impacts upon the circulatory system thus more oxygen flow to the brain and promotes cognition. The antioxidant properties ensure breaking of plaque in the brain.
- Sleeplessness remedy: Having the problems of insomnia and sleeplessness, it is effective of using this herb. How to use: Take the mix of Brahmi churan (3 gram) along with cow’s milk.
- Skin care: Since the ancient times, it is used to treat many skin related disorders such as eczema, erysipelas, leprosy, psoriasis and eczema. Not only this, there are many cosmetic companies, which are interested in using this herb because of its facial beauty benefits.
How to use: To get rid of the above said skin problems, it is recommended that one should use externally the powder of gotu kola and vaselin both in the morning and evening. The application of its extract helps to reduce skin scars. Its cream helps to reduce scarring. It is helpful to minimize pregnancy marks if the mix of gotu kola and vitamin E starts applying for about six months.
- Hair care: It is used for the growth of healthy hair i.e. enhances the beauty of hair by acting on the hair follicle region. It helps to stop hair loss and prevents graying of hair.
How to use: Take the equal proportion of gotu kola juice and coconut oil. Now, boil the mixture followed by cooling it. After making it cool, massage your scalp with the mix. Massaging the scalp prevents drying of it and also enhances your mental awakening. It is good to combat stress and free radicals, which are not good for hair health.
- Asthma treatment: If you have respiratory problems such as nasal congestion, respiratory blockage, bronchitis and asthma, use this herb.
How to use: You may use it orally along with cow’s milk.
- Female sterility: It is good for female sterility.
How to use: First of all, dried some quantity of centella and trichodesma indicum under shade. Now, mix the mixture of both these herbs with sugar candy in the ratio 2:1. It is beneficial if this powder is taken with cow’s milk thrice a day just after menses.
- Epilepsy treatment: If you have the problem of epilepsy and nervous weakness, one may use the mix of this herb along with other ayurvedic medicinal formulations.
How to use: Take the mix of dried brahmi powder (125 mg), Shankhpushpi powder (125 mg), Mukta Pishti (65 mg), Suva ran Bhasam(65 mg) and Honey (1tablespoon). Take small amount of it empty stomach early in the morning. The soothing feature of it reduces stress and stimulates sound sleep thus good for the health of the nervous system.
- Nerve tonic: If you want to strengthen your nerves and nervous system, you may use this herb along with other ayurvedic formulations. It is good for the entire network of nerves as well as the nervous system.
How to use: Take dry gotu kola and brahmi churan with cow’s milk in the morning as well as evening.
- Nutrition value: The medicinal herb is full of bio-chemical substances such as heteroside, saponoside, asiaticoside, triterpene acids, resin, pectic acid, vitamin-C, vellarin, volatile oil, brahmocide, isobrahmic acid, betulic acid, etc. All these are of great heath benefits.
- Medicinal uses: It is used to counter many diseases and disorders. It is used as nervine tonic, stomachic, soporific, cardiac tonic, carminative, sedative, laxative, tranquilizer, decogestant, immuno-stimulant and blood purifier. The herb has other medicinal benefits such as anti-leprotic, anti-spasmodic and anti-tumour herb. It is also known for longevity, good memory, sleep, good voice, complexion and rejuvenation.
Side effects of gotu kola
The excess use of it may cause reverse impacts. Some of the side effects of this herb given below:
- Body aches
- Skin allergy
- Burning sensation
- Stomach upset
Precaution of gotu kola
It shouldn’t be taken in some cases or take physician consultation before using it.
- Breast feeding
- Liver disease
- Low blood pressure