Zamzam Well of Saudi Arabia is the single well, known to huge number of people across the world. The importance of the Zamzam well can be gauged that millions of pilgrims (Hajji), which visit Mecca every year must ensure drinking of its water as well as the well visit without fail. Since, the number of Hajj and Umrah are increasing manifold, accordingly, the demand of zamzam water has also increased exponentially. The well has the history of thousands of years and has reference in the Bible too.
Zamzam Well Location
It is located within the world fame mosque Masjid al-Haram in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. It is positioned about 20 meter east of Kaaba, the most sacred place of Muslim. As per Islamic scriptures, it is said that Kaaba was rebuilt by Ibrahim, which was originally constructed by Hazrat Adam. Kaaba is the place toward which Muslims across the world offer prayer five times a day.
Photo courtesy: arabnews.com
History behind Zamzam Well
The origin of Zamzam well can be traced about thousands of years ago. The pious well came into existence when Hazrat Ibrahim Alaihe As Salam’s son Hazrat Ismail Alaihe As Salam was left with his mother Hajar (Hagar) in the scorching hot desert of Saudi Arabia. Ismail was crying and thirsty when his mother was searching water between the two hills named Safa and Marwah. Hajar ran seven times between the two hills in search of water. While searching water by his mother, Hazrat Ismail started hitting his feet on the ground because of thirstiness. It is said that a source of water, now Zamzam well, sprang up where Hazrat Ismail was hitting his feet.
10 Facts about Zamzam Well
- It is said by Prophet Muhammad Sallalah ho Alaihe As Salam (S.A.W.) that zamzam water is a natural source for healing for sick. This water is considered as blessing by Muslims.
- The depth of the well is about 30 m and its diameter is from 1.08 to 2.66 m. The well is surrounded by glass panels through which visitors can see it.
- Two electric pumps are used alternatively to draw water from the well for distribution and other purposes. However, water was taken out manually by bucket till 1960.
- The water of the well is colorless and odorless, has some unique taste with the pH value 7.9-8.
- The minerals presence are sodium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, bicarbonate, chloride, fluoride, nitrate, sulfate and dissolve solids.
- The water of the well is tested on daily basis by King Abdullah Zamzam Water Distribution Centre, Mecca. During the holy month of Ramadan, 100 samples are tested on daily basis.
- The Zamzam well was renovated in 2018, which involves its sterilization followed by removing its debris.
- It is also said that Allah send his angel Gabriel (Jibra;il) who hit the ground with his heal thereby the source of zamzam came into existence.
- The water comes in the well from two directions-one from Kaaba and another from Mount Abu Qubais.
- Normally, the electric pump extracts 1.5 lakh litres per day but during Ramadan and Hajj, the quantity extend up to 4 lakh litres per day.
- It is said the water is cure for any purposes if you drink it. If you wanted to drink it in place of food, one can use it. If you wanted to pacify your thirst, it is the best helpful too.
- The Prophet Muhammad SAW said that the water is full of miracle and cure many sickness.
- The well has been providing water continuously since last 4000 years and the best part is that it is free of germs and bacteria.
- It seems that the water is the purest one because of its biochemical composition.
- It is alkaline in nature and accordingly reduces acidity and bloating.
Different names of Zamzam Well
- Zome Zome
- Zam Zam
- Zem Zem
Zamzam well supervision
In the earlier times, the well was supervised by Abd Al-Muttalib bin Hashim, grandfather of Prophet Muhammad followed by Muslim Caliphs. However, it’s supervision and monitoring are being done by the Saudi Kings in the modern times.