Ayurvedic remedies for Hiccups
Ayurveda offers several natural remedies for hiccups. Irritation of the diaphragm often causes hiccups, and Ayurveda has various methods to calm the diaphragm and alleviate hiccups. Here are some Ayurvedic remedies for hiccups:
- Drinking Warm Water: Sipping warm water slowly can help relax the diaphragm and alleviate hiccups.
- Honey: Mix one tbsp of honey with a few drops of ginger juice and swallow it slowly. Love has soothing properties, and ginger can help with digestion, which may help stop hiccups.
- Fennel Seeds: Chewing a few fennel seeds to help relieve hiccups. Fennel seeds have carminative properties and can aid in digestion.
- Cardamom: Chew on a pod to soothe the diaphragm and ease hiccups.
- Black Pepper: Swallow a pinch of freshly ground black pepper mixed with honey to stimulate the vagus nerve, which can help stop hiccups.
- Cumin Seeds: Roast some cumin seeds and chew on them, or mix them with warm water and drink to help relieve hiccups.
- Ghee: Swallow a teaspoon of warm ghee (clarified butter) to calm the diaphragm and stop hiccups.
- Breathing Exercises: Practicing Pranayama and deep breathing helps relax the diaphragm, preventing hiccups.
- Lemon: Sucking on a small piece of lemon or drinking a glass of lemon water can help alleviate hiccups. Lemon’s sour taste may stimulate the vagus nerve.
- Acupressure: Pressing gently on the area between the upper lip and the nose, known as the “GV26” point, can help stop hiccups.
- Yogasanas: Certain yoga poses, such as the Child’s Pose (Balasana) and the Corpse Pose (Shavasana), can help relax the diaphragm and may be beneficial for hiccups.
Simple Ayurvedic treatments for hiccups
- Juice of root of plantain-7 to 14 ml, to be taken with 5 to 10 grams of raw sugar twice daily.
- Powdered seed of Lesser Cardamom-120 to 250 mg to be taken with 4 to 6 g honey twice a day.
- Powder of root of yellow pumpkin -l to 3 g. to be taken with 4 to 6 grams of honey and repeated many times.
- Powdered black pepper (1 to 2 grams) to be taken with raw sugar (5 to 10 grams) twice daily.
- Powdered fruit rind of Beleric myrobalan (3 to 6 grams) to be taken with 4 to 6 grams of honey twice daily.
- Powder of equal part of the wood apple fruit and Suddha Kasia (120 mg) to be taken with 4 to 6 grams of honey and repeated daily.
- Powdered seed of Common cress (1 to 3 grams) or its decoction 14 to 28 ml. to be taken with 4 to 6 grams of honey twice a day.
- Powder of equal parts of Kațuki and Ochre (120 to 250 mg.) to be taken with 4 to 6 grams of honey and repeated daily.
- Powder of equal part of fruit of long pepper, fruit rind of Amalaki (embelic myrobalan), Sarkară (raw sugar), Sunthi (dried ginger)-l gram to be taken with 4 to 6 grams honey twice a day. Powder of equal part of Jujube seed decorticated and Pop of paddy-180 mg. to be taken with 4 to 6 g. honey twice a day.
- Maüra-Puccha Bhasma: 30 to 60 mg. to be taken with 4 to 6 g. honey with 300 mg. powdered fruit of long pepper and honey twice daily.
External applications for hiccups
- Snuff of powdered root of Glycyrrhiza.
- Snuff of powdered fruit of long pepper with raw sugar.
- Snuff of powder of dried ginger mixed with jaggery.
- Drops of solution of wood of Candana (sandal) in human milk.