What is ankylosing spondylitis?
Ankylosing spondylitis is a spinal condition wherein spine bones get fused, resulting in lesser flexibility of the spine, postural defects, and breathing difficulty. Generally, it starts in adolescence or early adulthood and is more common in men than women. If it is not taken care of well in advance, inflammation can be observed in various body parts, including the eyes. Yoga is an effective means for Ankylosing spondylitis treatment. Here, we will also discuss precautions and safety.
Suppose one can trace the symptoms of Ankylosing spondylitis, such as pain, stiffness, and lesser flexibility in the lower back and hip region at the early stage. In that case, its prevention and treatments can be successfully managed. Its signs and symptoms are:
- Lower back pain
- Pain in the hip and shoulder regions
- Spinal stiffness
- Breathing difficulty due to the fusing of rib bones
- Eye inflammation
- Blurred vision
- Lesser physical activity
- Hereditary, especially the genetic factor due to the gene ‘HLA-B.27.’
- Stagnant lifestyle
- Overweight and underweight
- Acute stiffness of the spine
- Eye inflammation leads to eye pain and blurred vision
- Great breathing difficulty
- Aorta problems lead to heart issues
10 easy cures for ankylosing spondylitis
As per modern medical science, the disease has no cure, but its severity can be minimised if proper treatments are taken quickly.
- Medicines like naproxen (Naprosyn) and indomethacin (Indocin) are beneficial to treat ankylosing spondylitis symptoms such as pain, stiffness and inflammation. The other drugs used for this disease are Adalimumab, Certolizumab, Etanercept, Golimumab, etc.
- Yoga poses viz. Tadasana, Trikonasana, Cobra pose, Cat pose, Bridge Pose, Child pose, Kapalbhati, Nadishodhana Pranayama, and Downward-facing pose play an essential role in treating ankylosing spondylitis. These yoga poses help improve muscular strength, spinal flexibility, and postural defect. Practising these poses helps overall flexibility enhancement of the body, thereby reducing the impact of ankylosing spondylitis.
- The application of turmeric extract or Methi helps to ease inflammation and stiffness in the spine. Eating Giloy, Vitex negundo, Commiphora mukul, Dry Ginger, and Ashwagandha also helps reduce joint pain and inflammation.
- Homeopathic medicines like Calc carb, Calc phos, Phosphorus, Silicea, Sulphur, Symphytum and Aesculus hippocastanum help to reduce pain and inflammation of Ankylosing spondylitis, so take these medicines after consulting the physician.
- Natural therapies like Aromatherapy, Acupressure, and Acupuncture are also beneficial in relieving pain because of Ankylosing spondylitis
- Stretching exercises are also beneficial to treat pain related to ankylosing spondylitis as they involve a range of motion and make the joints flexible by reducing stiffness. Abdominal and back exercises should also be encouraged.
- Regular and proper walking ensures the correct posture, which is good for the spine’s health.
- Applying hot and cold packs in the stiff joints, inflammation and swelling areas help ease pain and overcome these conditions.
- Standing erect for 5-10 minutes will help improve spinal postural defect, thus suitable for ankylosing spondylitis.
- Light exercises like swimming, brisk walking, cycling, and yoga help lessen pain and ensure correct posture, giving flexibility and strength to the spine and joints.
- Smoking should be avoided as it leads to chest congestion and breathing difficulties.
- Ankylosing spondylitis, a hereditary disease, must be handled appropriately.
- Regular stagnant and cold environments are not favourable for the condition.
- Injuries are not suitable for the condition.
- One should take those diets rich in calcium, omega-3 and vitamin D.
- Limit alcohol
- Caffeine and beverages shouldn’t be taken more.
10 exercises for ankylosing spondylitis
Exercise will make you active and also keep the spine fresh and energetic. Here are some essential light practices which play important roles in getting rid of Ankylosing spondylitis.
- Brisk walking
- Standing squats
- Deep breathing
- Low-fat dairy products
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Soy products.