What is ankylosing spondylitis?
Ankylosing spondylitis is basically a spinal condition wherein spine bones get fused result in lesser flexibility of spine, postural defects, breathing difficulty because of fusing of ribs bones. Generally, it starts at adolescent stage or early adulthood and more common in men than women. It is not taken care of well in advance, inflammation can be observed in various parts of the body including eyes. Yoga is an effective means to prevent and manage Ankylosing spondylitis.
If one is able to trace the symptoms of Ankylosing spondylitis such as pain, stiffness and lesser flexibility in the lower back and hip region at the early stage, its prevention and treatments can be successfully managed. Its signs and symptoms are:
- Lower back pain
- Pain in the hip and shoulder regions
- Spinal stiffness
- Breathing difficulty due to fusing of ribs bones
- Eye inflammation
- Blurred vision
- Lesser physical activity
- Hereditary, especially the genetic factor due to the gene ‘HLA-B27’
- Stagnant lifestyle
- Overweight and underweight
- Acute stiffness of spine
- Eye inflammation leads to eye pain and blurred vision
- Great breathing difficulty
- Aorta problems lead to heart issues
10 Simple treatments for Ankylosing spondylitis
As per modern medical science, there is no as such cure of the disease, but its severity can be minimized if proper treatments are taken well in time.
- Medicines like naproxen (Naprosyn) and indomethacin (Indocin) are beneficial to treat ankylosing spondylitis symptoms such as pain, stiffness and inflammation. The other drugs used for this disease are Adalimumab, Certolizumab, Etanercept, Golimumab, etc.
- Yoga poses viz. Tadasana, Trikonasana, Cobra pose, Cat pose, Bridge Pose, Child pose, Kapalbhati, Nadishodhana Pranayama and Downward facing pose play an important role to treat ankylosing spondylitis. These yoga poses help to improve muscular strength, spinal flexibility, improve postural defect. The practicing of these poses help to overall flexibility enhancement of the body thereby reducing the impact of ankylosing spondylitis.
- The application of turmeric extract or Methi helps to ease inflammation and stiffness in the spine. The eating of Giloy, Vitex negundo, Commiphora mukul, Dry Ginger and Ashwagandha also helps in reducing pain and inflammation in joints.
- Homeopathic medicines like Calc carb, Calc phos, Phosphorus, Silicea, Sulphur, Symphytum and Aesculus hippocastanum help to reduce pain and inflammation of Ankylosing spondylitis, so, take these medicines after consulting the physician.
- Natural therapies like Aromatherapy, Acupressure, and Acupuncture are also beneficial in relieving pain because of Ankylosing spondylitis
- Stretching exercises are also beneficial to treat pain related with ankylosing spondylitis as they involve range of motion, and are good to to make the joints flexible by reducing stiffness. Abdominal and back exercises should also be encouraged.
- Regular and proper walking ensure the right posture so good for the health of the spine.
- The application of hot and cold packs in the stiff joints, inflammation and swelling areas help to ease pain and overcome these conditions.
- Standing erect up to 5-10 minutes will help to improve spinal postural defect and thus good for ankylosing spondylitis.
- Light exercises like swimming, brisk walking, cycling, Yoga, help lessen pain and also ensure correct posture thereby give flexibility and strength to the spine and joints.
Ankylosing spondylitis precautions
- Smoking should be avoided as it leads to chest congestion so breathing difficulties.
- Ankylosing spondylitis being a hereditary disease, need to be taken care at the appropriate time.
- Regular stagnant and cold environments are not favorable for the condition.
- Injuries are not good for the condition.
- One should take those diet, which are rich in calcium, omega-3 and vitamin D.
- Limit alcohol
- Caffeine and beverages shouldn’t be taken more.
Top 10 exercises for Ankylosing spondylitis
Exercises will make you active and also keep the spine fresh and energetic. Here, are the some important light exercises, which play important roles to get rid off Ankylosing spondylitis.
- Brisk walking
- Standing squats
- Deep breathing
Best diet for Ankylosing spondylitis
- Low-fat dairy products
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Soy products.