The scenario of urban constructions and building structures has been drastically changed in the recent times. The entire credit for such incredible building structures and skyscrapers goes to the modern architects. Their creativity, toiling the long working hours and visualization aspects make everybody to say vow. Their creativity can be judged by taking the examples of some architect marvels like Burj-al-Arab in Dubai, Taiwan 101 in Taipei, Red Pepper House in Kenya. There are many specialized fields in this area such as urban planning, urban design and landscape architecture, building sciences, building material engineering and project management. They have a challenge to produce an artistically as well as aesthetically pleasing design with a given budget. On the other hand, this is the high paying jobs with robust growth throughout the world.
Architecture course details
For architecture undergraduate course, one has to be passed 12th standard from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The candidate has to appear in All India Entrance Exam that is conducted by the Council of India. After successfully passing the exam, one can enroll in the different colleges of the field. However, some private colleges have their own criteria and norms. After passing graduate degree, they start their internship either with an architect or firm of this discipline. The course duration of Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) is of 5 years. One can also pursue Post Graduate for two years.
List of architecture courses
- Diploma in Architecture Engineering
- Diploma in Architecture Assistantship
- Bachelor of Engineering in Architecture Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Architecture Engineering
- Master of Technology in Architecture Engineering
- Master of Technology in Town & Country Planning
- Master of Philosophy in Architecture Engineering
Architecture course fees
The fees for the course (B.Arch) vary from government to private colleges. It also varies with reputed organization. The fees in the government run colleges ranges between 1.6-2.3 lakh while in the private field, it cost to 2.00-3.5 lakh. For the diploma course, the fee is 1.3 to 2.00 lakh.
Architects duties and functions
- They design new places to live, work and play
- Prepare specifications for the sites
- Meet the clients to know the very objective of the sites
- Visit the sites
- Try to find new works after doing brainstorming on their presentations
- He supervises the workers
- Estimate the amount of material, expenditure and time of completion
- Manage contracts related with sites
Best qualities and skills of Architects
- Analytical skills
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills and flexibility
- Technical skills
- Visualization skills
- Sharp mathematical acumen and dexterity
- Up to date with current and social environmental issues
- Having keen observation
- Responsibility and accountability
- Scientific temper
- Ability to sketch
- Leadership and supervisory skills
- Team spirit
- Immense physical stamina
- Good memory along with high concentration level
- Observation skills
Architect job prospects
It’s the time of realty boon. The skyscrapers and high rise buildings in urban agglomerations has increased the importance of architects manifolds. They have numerous assignments to build houses in corporate offices, apartments, industrial complexes, hospitals, hotels, malls, etc. The concept of Green House and Sustainable Residences has also increased the significance of the architects. Architects may associate themselves with firms or even work independently. Independent consultancy gives them flexible hours of working. They are also hired by the renowned international firms like Atelier Bow-Bow, Leo A Daly, Zaha Hadid, Erick Van Egraat, Dude Architects, PageSoutherlandPage, Gresham, Smith and Partners and Rafael Vinoly Architects
Architect government jobs
There are many agencies, departments and organizations in the government who hire architects on regular or consultant basis. Some of the leading government organizations are being given below:
- Public Work Department
- Archeological Department
- Ministry of Defense
- National Building Organization
- Town and Country Planning Organization
- Department of Railways
- National Institute of Urban Affairs
- Post and Telegraphs
- Public Sector Undertaking
- Housing and Urban Development Corporations
- National Building Construction Corporation Ltd.
The starting pay packet for architects in India ranges between Rs. 30, 000-40, 000. The remuneration increased after gaining experience in the field. The suitable candidate may earn lakh of rupees per month. The remuneration is also high with passed out from the premier architect colleges. The private firms pay hefty salary to the deserving and experienced candidates. They are also selected for international markets such as USA, Canada, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia and Dubai with handsome pay packets.
Top 10 Architecture Schools of USA
- University of Texas, Austin
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- Virgin Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg
- Harvard University, Cambridge
- Cornell University, Ithaca
- Syracuse University, Syracuse
- Yale University, New Haven
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
- Rice University, Houston
Architect jobs in USA
The employment of architects is expected to grow by 17% from 2012 to 2022, which is faster than maximum of the occupations. The average salary of architects in United States of America is $73, 090. In USA, the architects work for long hours, especially when completing the deadlines. The self-employed architects have flexible working hours. The trend of sustainable and green design has also increased the demand of architects.
Top 10 Study Locations around the world for Architecture
- Barcelona, Spain: The city is known for Antoni Gaudi. The church La Sagrada Familia is under constructions for 100 years and an inspiration for architecture students all over the world. Museu Picasso paintings and arts of Catalan and Spanish are also the source of attraction.
- London, England: It the cynosure for architecture students because of British Museum, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey and the Queen’s House.
- Paris, France: It is one of the finest study locations because of Musee du Louvre, Musee d’ Orsay. The gothic style of architecture is world famous.
- Rome, Italy: Rome is known for historical architectural sites such as Colosseeum Roman Forum, Pantheon, Vatican City, Museums, etc.
- Tokyo, Japan: Architecture students can learn lots from the design of Tokyo International Forum, Japanese culture and museums.
- Athens, Greece: Architecture students may visit this study because of Acropolis, Parthenon, and Temple of Poseidon. The art of the city is also famous.
- Berlin, Germany: It is the hub of European arts. The museum of Neues is world famous.
- Moscow, Russia: It is famous for art museums like Pushkin Fine Arts Museum and Shilov Gallery.
- Beijing, China: It is fascination because of Tiananmen Gate, Great Wall of China, Beijing Capital museum and National museum of China.
- Mexico City, Mexico: It’s a city of arts and antiquities. The important sites for students of arts are Palace of Fine Arts, Coyocan neighborhood, National Palace, Metropolitan Cathedral, etc.
Architecture Top colleges
Some of the best Indian Institutes in the field of architecture are as follow:
- School of Planning & Architecture, New Delhi
- Punjab University, Chandigarh College of Architecture
- School of Architecture CEPT, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad
- Lucknow University, Govt. College of Architecture, Lucknow
- Goa University, College of Architecture
- University of Mumbai, Sir JJ College of Architecture
- India Education Society’s College of Architecture, Mumbai
- Pune University, Marathwada Mitra Mandal College of Architecture, Pune
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, School of Planning & Architecture, Hyderabad
- Kerala University, College of Engineering, Thiruvananthpuram
- Anna University, School of Architecture & Planning, Chennai