What are sprouts?
Sprouts are wonder food due to their high nutritional value. Natural sprouts are good for a healthy body as they prevent diseases and disorders. It ensures blood purification and strengthens the immune system. In Naturopathy, sprouts are termed as medicine because of their preserving and promoting health properties. Sprouts are known for amazing benefits such as weight loss, hair loss. Sprouts are associated with amazing health benefits of sprouting.
Sprouts are known as health rejuvenator and mood fresher. Sprouts are rich in fiber, protein, minerals, vitamins, and enzymes, that’s why they are known as miracle food.
Meaning of sprouts
These are germinated seeds of legumes or grains which are full of rejuvenating and health-promoting qualities. All legumes sprouts are packed with adequate protein and calcium.
Sprouts as salads
Salads are a good appetizer. When salads are prepared by using sprouts; the nutritional value of salads increases manifolds. For different types of sprouts recipes; sprouts are used along with tomatoes, onion, broccoli, radish, etc. Anyone can eat sprouts. Sprouts are very important for patients and disease-prone people. Adding cucumber, tomato, green chili, coriander leaves lemon, onion, etc. increases its taste as well as nutritional value. If a healthy person takes sprouts regularly, he prevents himself from many diseases.
How to make sprouts-Sprouting
Sprouts seeds are put in jars or wet clothes along with four times of water. After soaking water throughout the night, keep it in a clean cloth in the morning. Frequent sprinkles of water should be done in summer to retain moisture. It is easy to make sprouts in summer than in winter. Growing sprouts is an easy and cost-effective process; so it can be prepared by everyone.
Types of sprouts
Seeds of Alfalfa, Sunflower, Soyabean, Gram, Soybean, Wheat, Moth, Moong, Lobia, Methi, etc. can be used for sprouts. Split peas, Kidney beans, Black beans, Pinto beans, and Garbanzo beans are also used as sprouted seeds. Wheat sprouts germination is prone to fungus, so they should be exposed to sunlight in the morning.
Importance of sprouts
Three wrong habits like Wrong eating habits, Wrong living habits, and Wrong thinking habits along with junk and fast foods are the harbinger of acidity and hyper-acidity. It is more prominent in urban culture that leads to different lifestyle-related disorders such as obesity. Sprouts are the surest answer to maintain the balance between acidity and alkalinity. Sprouts being one of the best natural foods greatly help to counter the acidity.
Sprouts for weight loss
If you want to reduce your weight, it is a wise step to follow a high-fiber diet. Sprouts are rich in fiber, having adequate nutrients, enzymes, protein, micro-nutrients, and at the same time low in calories. So obese people should regularly use sprouts in the diet as it helps to fill your stomach and also reduces the feeling of hungriness. Therefore, sprouts are playing a prominent role in weight loss.
Sprouts for hair loss
Brussel Sprouts are rich in many nutrients such as Vitamin E, Potassium, and Iron, all these are effective constituents for hair growth. Alfalfa sprouts are extremely useful for all-round development of hair growth as it is endowed with sufficient amounts of vitamins such as Vitamin A, B2, B5, and K. Alfalfa sprouts also contain other nutrients such as folic acid, zinc, copper and magnesium, which are good for hair. More or less all types of sprouts having plenty of protein which is good for hair growth as more than 75 % of hair is constituted of protein. All these forms of sprouts with enriched nutrients are helpful in the prevention of hair loss.
10 amazing benefits of sprouts
- Sprouts develop immunity against various diseases.
- Sprouts are full of antioxidants that contend with free radicals and act as a panacea for many diseases.
- Excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
- The Starch present in Sprouts converts into glucose, fructose and maltose thereby enhances the digestibility and thus make it a superb food.
- Quite useful in getting rid of addictions because these suited to drug-addicted people.
- Nutrients percentage of Vitamin C, Iron, Riboflavin, Niacin, and Phosphorous increase after sprouting.
- Fenugreek (Dana methi) with curative powers treats Diabetes Mellitus and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Gram sprout increases vigor and vitality.
- These are rejuvenating foods.
- Sprouts are fresh and entirely living food. They are easily digestible, assimilated easily, and provide quick energy.
How to maintain nutritional value of sprouts
- Chemical seeds should not be used for sprouts.
- Sprouts should be washed before eating.
- Sprouts easily infected with fungus, so safety measures should be taken care of.
- Eating sprouts kept for a long period is not advisable.
- Stale, stunk and dull sprouts should not be used.
- Cooking of Sprouts should be discouraged as they lose nutritive value.
- Cooking, frying, and roasting of sprouts are not up to the mark of nutrition.
- Steam sprouts may be given to aged people for easy digestion.
- Moong bean is rich in Vitamin A, E, and C.
Moong (lentil) sprouts recipe having ample protein and calcium. For ingredients, one can take each one cup of sprouted moong, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber. Coriander, Red Chilli, and black salt may also be used. It is advisable to wash all the ingredients before making the recipe.
Cooking of sprouts
It is always advisable to eat raw sprouts. Eating raw sprouts means taking lots of nutrients at a time. Cooking of sprouts loses nutritional value. Therefore, cooking, frying, and roasting of sprouts should be discouraged. However, in the case of aged people, the sprouts may be steamed and it may also be ground to make it paste.
5 commonly used sprouts
- Moong Bean: Moong bean is probably the easiest seed to sprout. It has a fresh flavor and adds taste to other foods. It is rich in Vitamin A, E, and C.
- Fenugreek (Dana methi) for Diabetes: The flavor of Fenugreek is somewhat spicy and slightly bitter. Fenugreek sprouts are known for curative powers. Such sprouts are used in curing Diabetes Mellitus and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Gram (Chana) for Vigour and Vitality: Since the ancient period, the sprouts of gram is used. Grams sprouts are known for enhancing vigor and vitality. It also fulfills the requirements of vitamins and minerals in the body.
- Brussel Sprouts for Hair: Brussel Sprouts are endowed with Vitamins and Minerals. It is also good for hair.
- Alfalfa sprouts for Shining hair: Alfalfa sprouts are plenty of vitamins and minerals. If you want glowing and shining hair, you should opt to regularly to Alfalfa sprouts.