Brief report on International day of yoga
- On December 11, 2014, the 193 members of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) approved the proposal of yoga day by consensus.
- Total of 177 countries co-sponsored the resolution to establish 21st June as International Day of Yoga (IDY).
- The international day of yoga is also known as Yoga Day, World Yoga Day, International Yoga Day, UN International Yoga Day.
- In many parts of the world, it falls on summer solstice i.e. 21st June, which has its own significance.
- Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy), Govt. of India will organize yoga day every year.
- The very essence of the Logo of IDY man’s harmony and peace for humanity.
Yoga day 2015
- The Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India successfully organized the 1st International Day of Yoga (IDY) on 21st June, 2015 at Rajpath, New Delhi.
- Two Guinness World Records were made viz. the Largest Yoga Lesson involving 35, 985 participants, and maximum number of Nationalities (84) participated in a single Yoga lesson.
- First IDY was celebrated in all the UNGA member countries (193) except war-torn-Yemen.
- Yoga booklets i.e. Common Yoga Protocol (Hindi and English) and Yoga films i.e. DVDs (Hindi and English) were prepared so that the same yogic practices are getting performed across the world.
- These booklets and DVDs are prepared by Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga, a premier yoga institute of India at New Delhi, after the consultation of eminent yoga experts of leading yoga institutions of India.
- Two days International Conference on Yoga for Holistic Health was organized on 21st and 22nd June, 2015 at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi wherein about 1300 delegates from India and abroad participated.
Yoga day 2016
- The Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India successfully organized the 2nd International Day of Yoga on 21st June 2016 at the Capitol Complex, Chandigarh.
- More than 30,000 people participated in the event.
- For the first time in the history of International Day of Yoga; total of 150 Divyangs (physically handicapped) performed Yoga during the 2nd International Day of Yoga celebrations.
- As many as 192 United Nation Member States has participated in the grand event.
- Two days International Conference on Yoga for Body and Beyond was organized on 21st and 22nd June, 2016 at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi wherein more than 1000 Yoga experts, dignitaries, and delegates from India and abroad participated.
Yoga day 2017
- The Ministry of AYUSH in association with leading Yoga Institutions, Centre and State Governments, State Departments successfully organized 3rd International Day of Yoga on 21st June, 2017.
- The main event this time was celebrated at Ramabai Ambedkar Maidan, Lucknow.
- More than 51000 Yoga aspirants participated in the Lucknow event.
- The Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India organized the Third International Conference with the theme Yoga for Wellness at Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi from 10-11 October, 2017.
- More than 500 eminent dignitaries, Experts of Yoga and Allied Sciences, Yoga enthusiasts, and including 80 foreign delegates participated from India and across the globe.
- The International Conference on ‘Yoga for Wellness’ has multiple technical sessions with sub-themes namely, Yoga for Wellness: Recent Trends; Yoga and Non-communicable Diseases: A Research Overview; Yoga and Integrated Medicine; Yoga for Cancer control; Yoga for Depression; Yoga for Women: Case Studies on Gynaecological Disorders and Yoga for Pain Management.
Yoga day 2018
- The Ministry of AYUSH organized the International Day of Yoga, 2018 in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- More than 50, 000 people participated.
Yoga day 2019
- The Ministry of AYUSH organized the International Day of Yoga-2019 in Ranchi.
- More than 30, 000 people participated in the event.
Websites related to Yoga day
Some of the important websites, where one can get all the required information related to yoga day. The list is given below: