International Day of Yoga and the United Nations
- Under the dynamic leadership of Prime Minister Modi, on December 11, 2014, the 193 member UNGA approved the proposal by consensus with a record 177 co-sponsoring countries a resolution to establish 21 June as “International Day of Yoga”. Accordingly, every year, 21 June is celebrated as International Day of Yoga (IDY) across the world.
- IDY was celebrated in all UNGA members’ countries except war-torn Yemen.
- Yoga has made its position in UNESCO’s list of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
- As many as 192 United Nation Member States has participated in the 2nd International Day of Yoga.
Ministry of AYUSH and International Day of Yoga
- Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India has played a pivotal role in declaring 21st June as IDY.
- To make Yoga day an international event, several Inter-ministerial meetings were conducted by the Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of External Affairs.
- Besides, Common Yoga Protocol DVDs, the ministry of AYUSH prepared one more movie on “Yoga Jivan Ki Sampurnata”.
- The Ministry of AYUSH deputes Yoga experts abroad to participate in fairs/ workshops organized by the Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Commerce, etc.
- With the Government Initiatives, Service Tax is exempted for Yoga activities.
- State Level Yoga Fests are being organized by the Ministry of AYUSH.
Common Yoga Protocol Booklet and DVD
- A Committee has been constituted under the Chairmanship of Dr. H.R. Nagendra, Chancellor, SVYASA University, Bengaluru, and Dr. IV Basavaradii, Director MDNIY as a member secretary to prepare a Common Yoga Protocol (CYP) booklet and Common Yoga Protocol DVDs in Hindi and English.
- There are many eminent Yoga experts who contributed in finalization of CYP.
- Initially, the Common Yoga Protocol booklet was prepared for 35 Minutes duration, which further increased to 45 minutes and 60 minutes.
- In 2016, about 60, 000 CYP booklets and 30, 000 DVDs were prepared. But due to the popularity of Yoga in 2017, more than 1.5 lakh CYP booklets were printed by the Ministry of AYUSH.
International Day of Yoga and Ministry of External Affairs
- The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) played a pivotal role in popularizing the International Day of Yoga across the world in association with cultural centres and embassies.
- Ministry of External Affairs made a movie on “Yoga for Harmony with Nature”.
- The ministry prepared a book on “Coffee Table Book on Yoga”.
- The ministry under the auspices of the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) also deputes Yoga teachers to Indian Missions.
- ICCR has signed an MoU with Yunnan Minzu University, China for the establishment of a Yoga College named “India-China College of Yoga”.
International Day of Yoga and MDNIY
- Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga (MDNIY) played a pivotal role in making the events a grand success. Common Yoga Protocol Booklets and DVDs were prepared and got printed by the Institute in consultation with eminent Yoga Experts and the official of various ministries of Govt. of India.
- MDNIY provided technical supports in all the three grand celebrations of International Day of Yoga, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- For all these Booklets, books, DVDs, and Movies, the Director MDNIY provided the concepts, visuals, and technical support.
- More than 3000 Central Government Employees were trained by MDNIY.
- International Yoga Fest – A Curtain Raiser for International Day of Yoga was organized by MDNIY in 2016 where more than 15,000 people participated.
- International Yoga Fest- A Curtain Raiser for International Day of Yoga was organized by MDNIY in Delhi where more than 12,000 people participated from 8th to 10th March, 2017\
- A total of 22 members team of MDNIY visited China on the eve of International Day of Yoga for BRICS Meet.
International Day of Yoga, Delhi
- First International Day of Yoga was organized at Rajpath, inaugurated by Shri Narendra Modi Ji, Prime Minister of India.
- Two Guinness World Records were made viz. the Largest Yoga Lesson (35,985) and Maximum number of Nationalities (84) participated.
International Day of Yoga and Important initiatives
- Certificate Course in Yogic Science (CCYSc) for Para-Military forces has been started from January 2015 in Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga.
- A Samarpan Dhyan Yoga Shivir was organized at MDNIY to give Yoga training to VIPs and dignitaries.
- A Central Sector Scheme “Yoga Training for Police Personnel” was formulated.
- Yoga Training started at 40 Girha Kalyan Kendra across the country.
- More than 11 lakhs NCC cadets / NSS were trained.
International Day of Yoga and CCRYN
- Central Council for Research in Yoga & Naturopathy (CCRYN) is also one of the important stakeholders in the successful conduction of yoga day.
- CCRYN conducted one monthly Yoga Training camp in all districts of India.
International Day of Yoga Chandigarh
- The second IDY was organized at Chandigarh, inaugurated by Sh. Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India.
- More than 30,000 people participated.
- For the first time, total of 150 Divyangs performed yoga in Chandigarh.
- The Prime Minister announced 4 awards (1) Best contribution to Yoga Internationally (2) Best contribution to Yoga within India.
IDY at Connaught Place
- IDY at Connaught Place was conducted in 2016 and 2017.
- IDY at Connaught Place witnessed the presence of dignitaries like Dr. Najeeb Jung, Hon’ble Lieutenant, Delhi, Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu, Hon’ble Union Minister of Urban Development, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Information & Broadcasting, Govt. of India in 2016.
- IDY at Connaught Place witnessed the presence of dignitaries like Ram Nath Kovind, Hon’ble Governor, Bihar, Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu, Hon’ble Union Minister of Urban Development, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Information & Broadcasting, Govt. of India in 2017.
- More than 10,000 sadhaks participated Connaught Place event
Yoga day and media participation
- A large scale of media participation has been seen in all the events of IDY.
- TV spots were made.
- Google hangouts was organized where Yog Rishi Baba Ramdev, Sister Shivani participated.
- Quiz competitions were conducted.
- Essay writing was organized.
- Widespread media coverage was one of the important priorities.
Yoga day and UGC
- UGC has established Yoga Departments in Six Central Universities and framed Standard Yoga Syllabi for various courses e.g. B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. programs.
- National Eligibility Test (NET) in Yoga has been conducted for the Lectureship and Research Fellowship for the first time.
- NCTE has introduced Yoga as a compulsory subject in 13 Teachers Educational Programmes.
- NCERT has taken the initiative of “YOGA OLYMPIAD” for School Children for the first time. AYUSH & MDNIY played a major role in organizing this YOGA OLYMPIAD.
International Day of Yoga Lucknow
- The third IDY was organized at Lucknow, inaugurated by Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India at Ramabai Ambedkar Maidan, Lucknow.
- More than 51,000 people participated.
IDY and International conference
- The Ministry of AYUSH successfully organized two days International Conference on “Yoga for Holistic Health” on 21st and 22nd June 2015 at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi wherein about 1300 delegates from India and abroad were participated.
- The Ministry organized International Conference on “Yoga for Body and Beyond” on 21st and 22nd June 2016 at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi where more than 1000 Yoga experts, dignitaries, and delegates from India and abroad participated in the event.
- The third International Conference with the theme “Yoga for Wellness” was organized at Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi from 10-11 October, 2017. Morestronghan 500 eminent dignitinstitutionsExstrongrts of Yoga and Allied Sciences, Yoga enthusiasts, and including 80 foreign delegates participated.
IDY and leading yoga centers
Leading yoga institutions actively participated in the successful organization of the International day of yoga.
- Art of Living Foundation, Bangalore
- Patanjali Yoga Peetha, Haridwar
- Isha Foundation, Coimbatore
- Brahma Kumaris University, Mount Abu
- SVYASA University, Bangalore
- Kaivalyadhama, Lonavla, Pune
- The Yoga Institute, Santacruz, Mumbai
- Lakulish Yoga University, Ahmedabad
- Parmarth Niketan, Haridwar
- Ramakrishan Mission, Kolkata
- Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar
- Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute, Pune
- Amrita University, Amrita Puri, Kerala
- Krishnamachari Yoga Mandiram, Chennai
- Vidya Bharti, New Delhi
- Mokshayatan Yogashram, Saharanpur
- Gurukul Kangri Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar
- CCRYN, New Delhi
- Swami Ram Sadhaka Gram, Rishikesh
- Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga, New Delhi
- Preksha International, Rajasthan
- Shri Aurobindo Ashram, Puducherry
- International Centre of Yoga Association and Research, Puducherry
- Sahayog Mandir, Thane
- International Naturopathy Organization, Delhi
- Ujjain Yoga Life Society, Ujjain