Why yoga for allergy?
Though, people ignore allergy often in spite of its not being a simple health condition. The severity of allergy can be experienced or listen from the sufferers. In the case of allergy, the eyes become reddish with a greater amount of itching in the border area of eyes. The face becomes swollen and experiencing regular nasal blockage. Regular sneezing and watering from eyes and nose are common. Overall the patients are in complete uncomfortable positions. There are many factors responsible for allergy are dust, food, pollen, molds, air-borne, dog, cat, mushroom, soy, and gluten. As far as its prevention and management is concerned, there are ways including yoga, which can control it naturally. Yoga can play an important role to minimize the impact of allergy and its associated conditions like sinus, sneezing, and watery eyes and nose. Thus, practice yoga and yoga therapy to get relief from allergy and also prevention of seasonal sneezing, sinus, and watery nose and eyes.
What are the symptoms of allergy?
- Body itching
- Nasal blockage
- Puffy face
- Watery eye’s and nose
- Eye reddish
- Continuous sneezing and wheezing
- Itching at the border area of eyes
- Losing consciousness and dizziness
- Breathing problems
- Sneezing and wheezing
- Nasal congestion
What are the causes of allergy?
- Food allergies to peanuts, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts, and walnuts etc.
- Latex sensitivity
- Swelling (edema)
- Foods trigger allergy i.e. eggs, milk, wheat, soy, peanuts and fish
10 yoga poses for allergy relief and prevention
The practice of yoga can play an important in the prevention and management of allergy. The regular practice will also solve the issues forever by boosting the immunity of the body thus check ailments and diseases.
- Jal neti (Nasal cleansing with water): Jal neti is quite effective in clearing the nasal as well as respiratory passages. This yogic process rubs the nasopharyngeal mucosa thereby the dried up secretions are scrubbed off. The aqueous solutions of salt also result in dissolving many accumulations produced either as a result of retained secretions or deposits from the inhaled air. The cleansing effect of Jal neti not only benefits the nasopharynx, but also benefits the eyes and various sinuses. The cleansing of the nasal passage would automatically result in improving the drainage of the secretions of the eyes. Similarly it keeps the sinuses healthy by flushing the mucus out of them.
- Sutra Neti (Nasal cleansing with thread): Sutra neti stimulates the nerves and improves functions of the eyes, tear ducts, and olfactory zone in the brain. The use of slightly hypertonic saline in sutra neti has an additional effect of causing a mild irritation to the mucosa. This increases circulation in the mucous membrane and also augments the secretions of the glandular cells, whereby the openings of the glands are cleaned. It opens the tear duct which at one end opens into the nose.
- Kapalbhati (Frontal brain cleansing): Kapalbhati clears the respiratory passage and keeps it free from impurities and excess mucus. It is useful in treating cold, rhinitis (inflammation of the mucus membrane of the nose), sinusitis and bronchial infections. It purifies the frontal air sinuses and stimulates the brain. Kapalbhati is also quite effective to combat sneezing if it practices on a regular basis.
- Nadishodhan pranayama (Alternate nostril breathing): Nadishodhan pranayama is very beneficial for allergy patients. The practice of Nadishodhan pranayama purifies the nasal passage by removing the blockages from the respiratory tract and facilitates the free flow of air into the lungs. It strengthens the immunity system and reduces anxiety and stress and helps to manage hypertension. The regular practice ensures the prevention of asthma and allergies.
- Suryabhedi pranayama: Suryabhedi pranayama makes your nasal mucous and congestion free. The regular practice of this yoga pose helps to cure rhinitis, cephalalgia and various kinds of neuralgia. It removes worms that are found in the frontal sinuses too.
- Bhastrika pranayama: Its a quite powerful pranayama to get relief from sinus, sneezing and other form of allergies. It helps to relieve inflammation of the throat. It destroys phlegm; removes diseases of the nose and chest; and eradicates asthma. It removes all diseases arising from excess of wind, bile and Phlegm; and gives warmth to the body (H.P. 2/65).
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand yoga ): The practice of the yoga pose is beneficial in combating of allergy, sinus, watery nose & eyes and other allergy associated problems. It helps to speed up blood flow to the head region and provide sound health to the ENT region.
- Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation): Surya Namaskar is extremely beneficial for the lungs and the respiratory system. It appropriately expands and contracts the air sacs or alveoli of the lungs, prevents building up of germs and many diseases of the respiratory system. The different 12 yoga poses in the sun salutation are solely enough to fight against allergy and other health conditions.
- Ustrasana (Camel Pose): The adequate stretching in the chest region enables the lungs and muscles to expand at the optimal level. It is a good yoga pose for those people who suffer from asthma, bronchitis and other lungs ailment thereby relieves congestion.
- Bhujangasna (Cobra pose): The cobra pose ensures chest expansion and optimal lungs stretching thereby helpful in expanding of lung’s internal region. It helps in the exchange of gases through the nasal passage and beneficial to decongest the nasal passage.
8 tips to treat allergy naturally
- Herbal oil massage shows good results to treat different forms of allergies.
- Ginger root tea is beneficial for respiratory and skin conditions
- The application of grind almond leaves over the ENT regions is effective to provide a soothing effect.
- The use of coconut oil and lemon juice is beneficial to fight allergy.
- The drinking of juices of carrot, beetroot, and cucumber prevents allergy and its associated conditions beyond a certain limit.
- Warm water gargling with salt helps to treat it running nose and sneezing.
- The allergic person who has inflamed eyes, may take the mixture of lime, mallow, and chamomile tea.
- In the case of the congested and inflammatory nose, it is better to use peppermint tea to overcome the seasonal allergy.
Top 10 allergy prevention tips
- A hot shower should be used as it is helpful to ward off the allergen.
- Cleanliness is the most important need to prevent it.
- The use of carpet may be avoided as it is dust prone.
- Vacuum cleaner should be preferred as it filters dust.
- Mask should be used while cleaning.
- Keep yourself away from pets.
- Use an exhaust fan.
- Eatable should be kept in a tight container.
- Care your pet hygienically.
- Avoid pollutants as airborne matter may trigger an allergic condition.