Definition of Co-curricular Activities
Co-curricular Activity plays vital role in shaping the life of a person, especially the students. Co-curricular activities help in the development of mind and personality. For the all-round development of the personality; intellectual, emotional, social, moral and aesthetic growths are utmost important. These growths succeed if curricula are supplemented with extracurricular activities. Therefore, extracurricular activities have become the part and parcel of education system.
History of Co-Curricular Activities
One can trace the concept of Co-curricular Activity in our ancient literatures. Ancient scriptures of India like Vedas, Upanishads, Yoga Vashistha, Mahabharata, Ramayana, all inform us about Gurukuls and Ashrams system. Co-curricular activities like cleaning Ashram, collecting woods, milking the cows, wrestling, archery, dyeing clothes, cooking, singing, playing, warfare activities etc. were quite common. Warfare, community services, archery were common in Spartan Civilization of Greece. More or less same things may also be observed in Roman civilization.
Co-curricular Activity Features
- Classroom lesson strengthens when same co-curricular activity is performed.
- Intellectual goals accomplished when supplemented by character building and physical growth.
- Co-ordination, extempore expressions, adjustment are best outcome of it.
- Life enriching experiences like acting, singing, recitation and narrating may observed through it.
Importance of Co-curricular Activity
- Extracurricular activity helps to accomplish the objectives of education through free expression, debates, co-operation, coordination, etc.
- Develop the habits of constructive competition, bring efficiency in ideas, improves skill and competence.
- Bring pleasant changes and develop joyous experiences.
- It makes one responsible for family and society.
- Develop the capacity of organizing events and enable for managerial and leadership activities.
- These activities create avenues to meet with various people thereby helps in socialization, self-identification and self-assessment.
- Activities like field trips, tours and excursion helps to know about other people, their work, culture and customs.
- Develop the ability of decision making.
- Develop the sense of belongingness.
Types of Extracurricular Activity
- Library Activities.
- Physical Development Activities.
- Aesthetic and Cultural Development Activities.
- Civic Development Activities
- Social Welfare Activities.