e-learning is a teacher-less delivery mode of concept and a modern aspects of Information Communication and Technology (ICT), has the full potential to substitute traditional mode of learning.
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
e-Learning is a cost-effective solution and comprises Voice-conferencing, Video-conferencing, Video-streaming, Virtual classroom, Virtual laboratories. It is the good option to bridge the digital gap.
World fame e-learning Projects
The International known projects like National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL), National Mission on Education through ICT, National Knowledge Network, Sakshat Portal, e-Gyankosh, Pan Africa e-network project etc. has done credible work for the promotion and Development of e-learning.
• Sakshat Portal is the initiative of Ministry of Human Resource and Development(HRD), developed and designed by IGNOU and a repository of
e-books, e-journals and digital repository
• e-Gyankosh is the digital repository of e-learning material, developed by IGNOU.
• Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham using satellite technology to connect its 4 campuses
in 4 different towns of South India.
• BITS Pilani has converted into a virtual university.
• Jadavpur University has started Masters in Multimedia Development course.
• Aligarh Muslim University has started a work on Online education system.
• Central Institute of English and Foreign Language, Hyderabad had a project for online learning software.
• Initiatives have been also taken by many universities like Hyderabad University, Kerala University, Terna College Mumbai, MDI Gurgaon, etc.
Major Players in e-Learning Markets
Some of the major players in e-learning markets in India are NIIT Technologies, IBM , Tata Interactive Systems, Sify E-learning, Lionbridge India, Educomp Solutions, Tutorvista, and GurukulOnline
Open Source elearning Tools
Dr. Tony Karrer has provided a list of Open Source e-learning Tools in his blog which may be refer to enhance the e-learning experience.e-Learning and ICT Projects and Initiatives in India