What is rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory disorder to the joints and surrounding tissues. It may affect to other organs of the body too. The disease causes severe pain
Causes of rheumatoid arthritis
- Faulty lifestyles are the principal cause of rheumatoid arthritis
- Imbalance of temperament of organs
- Accumulation of morbid matter in the body which is of acidic nature.
- Humid Climate
- Psychic influences (Infiaalat -e- Nafsania)
- Excessive intake of hot and moist food such as meat and dairy products
- Deficient nutrition
- Psychological stress
- Environmental factors
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Certain diseases like syphilis, Gonorrhoea
- Poor digestion
- Sedentary life
- Consuming too much fat
- Excessive intake of sea foods, especially fish
- Heavy use of egg, mutton, tubers, arrack, and toddy
- Insufficient exercise that may lead to variation of vatha and pitha humours causes Santhu Vatha Soolai
- After child birth (remission during pregnancy)
- Hormonal disturbances like puberty and menopause
Rheumatoid arthritis symptoms
- Soreness in the joints
- Joint stiffness mainly due to inactivity.
- Impaired range of movement.
- Joint may appear normal but bony enlargements may be felt around the joint margin
- Swelling in the joints.
- Joint deformity may be seen in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Fatigue, Low-grade fever, Muscular pain, Loss of appetite, Depression, etc.
Yoga exercises for rheumatoid arthritis pain
- Yoga Sukshma Vyayama and Yoga simple exercises are beneficial to the affected joints. Some of the easy yoga exercises, which can be practiced by the patients to get relief from rheumatoid arthritis are: Strengthening the neck (Griva-sakti-vikasaka) Developing the arms (Purna-bhuja-sakti-vikasaka), Developing the wrists (Mani-bandha-sakti-vikasaka), Developing the palms (Kara-tala-sakti-vikasaka) Strengthening the knees (Janu-sakti-vikasaka), Developing the strength of the ankles and the feet (Gulpha-pada-prstha-pada-tala-sakti-vikasaka)
- The Yoga postures recommended for rheumatoid arthritis are standing asanas, head and shoulder standing asanas, virasana, and all sitting asanas. Asanas increase the joint space and make the joints healthy. However, asanas are helpful in the earlier stage.
- Yoga poses that are useful for rheumatoid arthritis are Pavanamuktasana, Vajrasana, Padmasana, Tadasana, Prasaritha Padothanasana, Dandasana, Trikonnasana and Dhanurasana.
- Regular Yoga Practices such as Suryabhedana pranayama, Nadishodhana pranayama, Bhramari pranayama are very useful.
- Meditation also plays good in this case.
- Relaxation techniques.
Yoga for arthritis (lower back) treatment
- Pada Hastasana
- Ardha Matsyendrasana
- Dwipada Viparita Dandasana
17 Yoga for arthritis of shoulder joints
- Ardha Matsyendrasana
How to prevent rheumatoid arthritis naturally?
- Try to follow stress-free life
- Consult your doctor to get an accurate diagnosis: Getting the right treatment requires getting the right diagnosis.
- Relaxed your mind
- Avoid curd
- Avoid undue pressure on joints.
- Avoid anger, worry, hurry, depression, anxiety etc.
- Avoid oily and fatty foods
- Bowel movement should be regular
- Initial treatment means less joint damage so the pain.
- Excessive stress should be avoided.
- The patient should increases the level of movement.
- Food rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants are good.
- Losing weight means lessen stress to the knees and hips.
- Walking is good for arthritis as it burns your calories, strengthens muscles and bones.
- Warm bath ease muscles problems and anxiety.
- Stretching exercises are beneficial for arthritis.
- Adequate sleep is good
- Cupping is beneficial as it decreases the inflammation of joints
- Avoid control of natural urges
Nature cure remedies for rheumatoid arthritis
- Sukshma Vyayama is good to the affected joints
- Ice Cold application to reduce swelling and congestion
- Hot full immersion bath- 20 minutes
- Sun Bath
- Bare foot walking
- Hot oil application and light massage to the affected joints
- Full wet sheet pack for 20 minutes
- Hot arm and foot bath for 10 minutes
Unani medicine for rheumatoid arthritis
Following Ayurvedic and Unani herbs are extremely useful in the management and prevention of Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Lemon grass, Castor, Henbane, Madder, Ginger, Colchicum, Datura, Withania, Wild Rue, Galangal, Hogweeds, Guggulu, Nirgundi, Eranda, Shallaki, Guduchi, Shigru, Rasna, Rasona, Prasarini