What is cervical spondylosis?
Today’s office work culture of excessive sitting hours in a particular posture is taking a toll on our health paradigms –mental, physical, emotional and social. These long hours and over tired work leads to develop neck, shoulder and cervical problems. Cervical spondylosis is caused due to abrasion and attrition of spine desk. It is more common with aged people, but in modern lifestyle, neck pain, shoulder pain and cervical problems are also rampant with adult due to their hectic schedule. The most important characteristic feature of cervical spondylosis is chronic pain.Image courtesy of Michal Marcol / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Yoga for cervical spondylosis treatment
There is no as such effective allopathic medicines are available to cure cervical spondylosis and neck pain but some easy yoga asanas and simple exercises can play a vital role in managing and treating of cervical spondylosis and neck pain.
- Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation): The person who has having the problems of neck pain, shoulder pain and cervical, should do Sun Salutation very carefully. If they perform it systematically, gains strong and flexible spine and make the sufferer free from neck pain, shoulder pain and cervical spondylosis.
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose):Matsyasana provides strength and flexibility to the entire vertebral column. It is extremely beneficial for cervical region and helps in overcoming stress and strain caused due to prolong sitting before the computer.
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose): Various ailments and general unhealthiness of the body occur through stiffness of the spine. Spine is the major channel, which carries all nerve impulses from the brain to the body. Bhujangasana removes the stiffness of the neck and shoulder, and acts as a good remedy for cervical problems too.
- Makarasana (Crocodile Pose): Makarasana is good for the spine to resume its normal shape and releases compression of the spinal nerves. It is effective in treating of cervical spondylosis, and pain of neck and shoulders.
- Bal-Shayanasana (Infant’s Pose): Balshayan asana is extremely beneficial for those patients also who suffer from lower back pain or cervical spondylitis because of stress, tension and excessive workload.
- Ardha Naukasana (Half Boat Pose): Ardha naukasana is effective for the patients of cervical & back problems. Besides, it can help one in managing ones chronic indigestion, constipation. Even patients of diabetes can find it quite beneficial
- Ardha Salbhaasana: (Half Locust Pose): The gentle back extension is highly beneficial in cervical pain, lumbargo and sciatica. Performing regularly can give you a great relief from cervical spondylosis and neck pain. Therapeutically, it has been found useful for alleviating cervical spondylitis, back ache and sciatica.
- Shanshank-Bhujangasana (Striking Cobra Pose): Shanshank-Bhujangasana improves flexibility and strength of the spine which can counter all the adverse effects of sedentary life. The combination of Shanshank-Bhujangasana is beneficial in treating of backache and cervical pain.
- Kohni Chalana (Elbow Rotations): Kohni Chalana is very useful to improve the mobility and strength of the shoulders and the neck which may prevent cervical spondylitis, frozen shoulder and bursitis.
- Marjariasana (Cat Pose): Marjariasana provides gentle massage to your spine and helps to loosen up the vertebral column. It is extremely recommended to those people who have rigid spines and chronic neck pain. Marjariasana gently stretches and stimulates the spinal nerves.
10 Best exercises for cervical spondylosis
In the digital computer era where the users are spending long hours sitting before their desktops, cervical spondylosis is common disorders. Many exercises are beneficial in managing and curing of cervical spondylosis. Here some of the important exercises are given, which are effective to solve the problems of neck pain, frozen shoulders and cervical spondylosis.
- Sit in any comfortable position. Your back and neck should be straight. With inhaling slowly bring your head backward position and with exhaling make it in the straight position. Don’t push it in the forward position. Do it for 10 seconds. It is an effective neck exercise to cure cervical spondylosis.
- Try to push your head with your palm and resist the pressure with your static neck.
- Sit in comfortable position. Make your back and neck straight. Now, turn your head toward the right side and see your shoulder. Come to the original position, and then turn to the left side. Do this neck exercise for 10 seconds. This exercise helps to relieve from neck pain.
- Put your both the palms below your chin where pressure will be applied by the chin on the palm, which will be balanced by palm itself without showing any movement in the entire mechanism. Do it for 10 seconds. The exercise is good to get relief from neck pain.
- Stand erect. Raise your right hand with inhaling and feel the stretch from toes to finger. Bring it down while exhaling. The same thing is repeated with the left hand. It is a good exercise to remove neck as well as shoulder pain.
- Stand straight. Place your interlock palms on your forehead and try to push the head in the backward direction. This force should be counterbalance by the head itself in the forward direction so that the head remain in static position.
- Sit in Padmasana. Interlock your fingers and place it behind your head. Exert a pressure from interlock palms on the head in the forward direction which will be balanced by the head with equal force in the backward direction so that the head remains in the static position. It is good for neck as well as cervical spondylosis.
- Interlock your fingers and place it behind your head. Now, bring your elbows in front of your head. Does this exercise at least 10 rounds with normal breathing? This exercise is good to help in cervical spondylosis and pain related with neck and shoulder. ‘
- Inhale and hold your breath. Now, rotate your hands 10 times in clockwise direction. Exhale while completing the rounds. The same procedure will be continued while rotating your hands in anti-clockwise direction. It is good to cure shoulder and neck pain.
- Using cervical collar helps in this direction. The application of ice or heating pad to the neck helps to reduce the pain. Cold and hot therapy alternatively is also effective.
How to cure frozen shoulder?
- Your spine always should be straight either in sitting or standing position.
- Do practice pranayama and meditation regularly for stress management.
- Eat fresh vegetables and seasonal fruits.
- Forward bending yoga and exercises should be discouraged.
- Avoid jerking and running.
- Don’t lift heavy weight.
- Suitable exercise is the solution instead of using the painkillers.
- Do the above mentioned exercises and Yoga?
Cervical spondylosis symptoms
The following signs of cervical spondylosis are:
- Stiff neck & neck pain
- Decreased neck pain
- Shoulder pain that extended to chest
- Numbness in the hands and legs
- Coordination problems
- Reflexes difficulties
- Feeling of leg weakness
- Fever due to acute neck pain
Cervical spondylosis causes
- Improper posture and low inclination towards exercise
- Sleeping with more pillows below the head
- Working with the desktop for extended hours
- Sleeping in a particular position
- Highly comfortable modern chairs.
Cervical spondylosis prevention
- Running, jumping and high octane exercise should be avoided.
- Wooden chair should be preferred.
- Avoid sitting for long hours on a particular posture.