Sleep is one of the nature’s most precious gifts. Sleep is a form of gentle restorer of energy to the tired nerves and exhausted cells helping them to recuperate and thus serves a way of recovery from the stresses of normal working life. Sleep is a great source in building up a refreshing and restful way of life. Sleep means a form of cessation of activity though not completely but at a much lower level. The muscle relaxes and the heart slows down its activity. Similarly, there is a fall in pulse rate and blood pressure.
Need of sleep
We spend more or less 33 per cent of our life asleep. Sleep makes body repairing process smooth. Healthy sleep promotes learning and memory while lack of sleep impacts longevity and deteriorates health. Sound Sleep enhances positive energy, good for all the vital organs such as heart, brain, lungs, liver, etc. Sound sleep acts like as a catalyst for mood elevator, stress buster and longevity. Sound sleep is good for sleep disorders, sleep problems and insomnia as well as apnea related maladies. There are many tips for sound sleep. One of the important ways for healthy sleep is music therapy that helps to soothe your nerves, body and mind. Doing meditation and relaxation yogasanas too help to improve healthy sleep. Following Ayurvedic diets and ayurvedic tips are also beneficial in overcoming sleep apnea. However, using sleeping pills or tranquilizers are dangerous and fatal. Sleep induced by a pill is never refreshing.
Image courtesy: Pixabay.com
Amount of sleep required
Healthy sleep is refreshing and energizing and also provides freshness to the mind and body. Neither too little nor too much of sleep is desirable since both may prove harmful, too little producing lack of energy and too much dulling the mental faculties. So, have regular hours of sleep depending on age, needs and requirements. Though eight hours of sleep is desirable and often recommended but many people can do with less and still feel refreshed. Similarly, women will require more sleep and the manual workers sleep more than the brain workers. A fat person may require less amount of sleep say about 7 hours of sleep while a thin lean man requires about 8-9 hours of sleep. Though the individual variations are there but on an average a period of about 6 to 8 hours of sleep is sufficient for an average adult.
How much sleep need by kids
Sleep requirement vary with age. The ability to sleep decreases with age through the need of sleep remains. A new baby may enjoy 22 hours of sleep out of 24 hours but the child grows up the requirement also decreases and by the time the child is 12 years old it may be only 10 hours. These sleeping hours are extremely important for the overall development of the child.
Common Sleep problems
The common sleep disorders are
- Sleep apnea
- Pavor nocturnes
- Nocturnal Enuresis
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Periodic limb movement disorder
- Sleep deprivation
- Inability to sleep at desired time
- Lack or disturb sleep at night
- Abnormal movement or behaviour during sleep
- Excessive day time sleep.
Sleep disorder causes
- Improper environment
- Ill ventilated or stuffy room
- Too much noise or light
- Too much cold
- Bad food & Heavy foods
- Bad Digestion
- Irregular hours of sleep
- Organic ailments
- Excessive tiredness
- Cary over day’s tension to bed
- Office and home worries
- Unfounded fears
- Pent up feelings of frustration
- Resentment and anxiety
- Excessive use of tea or coffee
- Modern lifestyle: use of mobile phone, watching computer and television over long period at night, irregular sleep patterns and working in shifts.
- Addictions and drug abuse
- Pathological conditions such as thyrotoxicosis, nocturnal myoclonus, chronic pain, pruritus conditions.
- Psychiatric disturbances such as anxiety, depression, mood disorders, etc.
- Excessive intake of spicy and fatty foods
- Deficiency of certain (vitamin B3, B5, B9, B12, and vitamin D) and minerals (iron, magnesium and copper)
Sleep disorder consequences
Anybody who has not had a healthy sleep always present a haggard look with lack of concentration and poor judgement along with lower standards of work. Night workers efficiency is comparably lower and has more psychological disturbances than day time workers. Waking for long hours, the mind gets fogged up and mental faculties are at the lowest ebb. Chronic sleep loss makes the person confused and disoriented. There is a constant burning or itching in the eyes, blurred vision and heaviness in head. The mental function is slowed and errors in speech and thought. Loss of memory is very much there.
Sleep disorder treatment
- Having proper and congenial surroundings are good sleep.
- Life’s positive approach is essential for adequate sleep.
- Keep the tensions, anxieties and pin pricks of the working hours off your night schedule. So, relax your mind and body and surrender to the bliss of sleep.
- If you are not feeling sleepy, don’t fight with you pillows. Switch on to soft & soothing music or your favourite reading.
- The best sleep comes before mid night. Sleep before midnight is more refreshing than afterwards. There is always a sleeping point for every person and if he or she misses that, sleep becomes difficult to come by.
- Avoid taking a nap in the afternoon as these can keep you awake for sometimes at night.
- A darkened, will ventilated room which is neither too warm not too cold is ideal. A room where cool fresh air ventilates is ideal for sleeping at night. Total Darkness induces a peaceful sleep.
- The evening food shouldn’t be heavy and before 8 PM followed by light walk which is very exhilarating. Hunger can also disturb sleep so avoid having either too much or too little of food.
How to solve sleep problems
- A warm cup of milk with cocoa is welcome drink at bed time.
- Warm bath, a brisk rub, Pranayama, deep breathing, stretching exercises is good for blissful sleep.
- Sleep bed should be neither tool soft or too hard. High pillows should be avoided since they often put strain on neck muscles.
- Wear light and loose cloth as the tight cloth interfere with body’s natural mechanisms, thus disturb sleep.
- Physical active life is good for sound sleep.
- Do not exert yourself overtired with the notion of inducing sleep.
- Try to let the mind be free of all worries and tensions.
- Do regular Yoga and Mediation (Dhyan) in achieving a good sleep.
- Try to forget yourself
- Practice of simple asanas like pawanmuktasana series and relaxation and meditative asanas, slow Surya Namaskar, helps in various metabolic process and influences sound sleep.
- Practice of Bhramari and Ujjai pranayama is good for Sleep.
- Savasana is extremely beneficial for sleep.
- Intake of balanced and nutritious diet can enhance good health and sound sleep.
- Hot foot bath for 15 minutes have influence on cerebro-vascular circulation. So it helps to provide relaxed mental state and enhances the natural sleep.
Health benefits of sleep
- Sleep has numerous advantages because a good sleep not only relaxes and refreshes the body & mind but also keeps many diseases at bay.
- Measure sleep not by hours but by relaxation.
- Sleep is Nature’s Sweet Restorer.
- Sleep is really rest of the brain.
- Sleep gives this relaxation to muscles, limbs, brain and nerves
- The most important factor for keeping of health in old age is sleep.
- Sleep is the most perfect form of rest.
- Sleep helps the brain to commit new information and facilitate memory consolidation.
- Proper sleep is essential for appropriate body weight while chronic sleep deprivation may cause weight gain by altering nutrition and hormonal mechanism.
- Lack of sleep can contribute to health problems such as obesity, hypertension, diabetes, etc.
- Sleep helps our body to restore energy and provide us better wakefulness and lateness for forth coming day.
- Adequate sleep is associated with good health status and high frequency adoption of health related behaviours.
- Sleep has great influence on wound healing. Clinical study on patient with post surgical abdominal hysterectomy revealed that sleep after first night of surgery is an important factor for recovery.
- Many studies concluded that sleep influences immune system and overall health.
- Sleep loss may result in irritability, impatience inability to concentrate and moodiness.