Paschimottanasana is a Sanskrit word, consisted of three words: Paschima means West or Back, Uttana means intense stretch and Asana shows a yoga pose. In Hindi, Paschimottanasana is known as पश्चिमोत्तानासन. The yoga pose is pronounced as POSH-ee-moh-tan-AHS-anna. Its different name is Seated Forward Bend, Intense Dorsal Stretch, Fierce or powerful pose and ugrasana. The Seated Forward Bend yoga is beneficial for all the body parts and organs. The yoga pose is good for weight loss.
Know everything about Paschimottanasana-All info
Image courtesy: Pixabay.com
- Paschimottanasana meaning
- Steps of Paschimottanasana
- Health benefits of Paschimottanasana
- Top ten facts about Paschimottanasana
- Precautions and contraindications
- Beginner tips for Paschimottanasana
- Preparatory pose of Paschimottanasana
- Follow up pose of Paschimottanasana
How to do Paschimottanasana Steps
- First of all, sit on the ground, stretching both the legs outward.
- Toes should remain together pointing forward.
- Now, Inhale, raise your arms and bend the body forward exhaling as far as possible.
- While bending forward, do exhaling.
- In the final stage, interlocked fingers should be beyond the toes and nose should touch the knees.
- Initially, do it for 5 seconds and gradually try to maintain the pose as long as you feel comfortable.
- Inhale and come to the original position.
- This is one round. Initially, do two rounds.
- As per your practice, you may increase the number of rounds as well as duration of maintaining the pose.
10 Health benefits of Paschimottanasana
- Spine: The asana gives suitable stretches and tones to the spine and one of the best yoga poses for the health of spinal column and associated nerves. Since, it is good for the spinal nerves accordingly safe the whole body.
- Belly fat: This is one of the effective sitting forward bending yoga poses that is good to burn belly fat.
- Weight loss: The practice of this asana gives adequate stretching to the entire body, especially the back part of the body, thus helpful in melting of fat.
- Sexual diseases: The regular practice of the asana gives direct massage to the pelvic region thus helpful for various types of sexual maladies such as menopause, menstrual discomfort, etc.
- Diabetes: It provides adequate massage to pancreas and force the endocrine gland to release insulin, thus ensures in the prevention and management of diabetes.
- Flatulence and constipation: The massage of the abdominal organs improves digestion and ensures to prevent constipation and flatulence.
- Kidney: The practice of this asana is also good for kidney, liver spleen and adrenal glands.
- Stress: Paschimottanasana is well known for its utility in harmonizing nervous and pranic energies within the body. Thus, it is quite effective for stress, anxiety, depression and helping to bring about states of meditation.
- Hamstrings: It is beneficial for hamstrings.
- Appetite: The asana helps to develop appetite.
Top 7 facts about Paschimottanasana
- This is the single yoga pose in yoga, which is known as Ugrasana or Fierce yoga pose.
- It is known for stretching, toning, strengthening and massaging.
- Though, it is known as intense dorsal stretch, even though quite effective to combat stress, anxiety, depression and prepares one for meditation.
- It makes your spine strengthening, refreshing and supple.
- It is the best back stretching yoga pose when one do the advanced one.
- Somehow, it is also related with ‘the mother system of yoga’.
- The asana was advocated by yogi Gorakshanath.
Precautions and contraindications of paschimottanasana
Pschimottanasana shouldn’t be performed in the following conditions.
- Abdominal ulcer
- Back injury
- Slipped Disc
Beginner tips for paschimottanasana
To perform paschimottanasana technically right is not an easy task. It requires practice of weeks and months. On the other hand, one shouldn’t bend forward beyond a certain limit otherwise it can cause severe back pain. Initially, one should bend forward as far as he feels comfortable. After developing back flexibility and back muscle suppleness, one will be able to perform paschimottanasana.
Preparatory yoga poses for paschimottanasana
- Janu Sirsasana
- Yoga mudra
Follow up yoga poses of paschimottanasana
- Ardha Ustrasana
- Ardha Matsyendrasana