What is ADHD
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurobehavioral developmental disorder generally seen with children before seven years and characterized by Hyperactiveness, Impulsiveness and Inattention. It affects nearly one in 10 school-aged children
The role of alternative medicine in the remedial measures of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is commendable. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) like Yoga, Ayurveda, Naturopathy, Homeopathy, Unani, Siddha, Diet, etc. has treatment remedy in curing of this disorder. Home remedies, preventions and precautions are also important aspects in the treatment of this condition. Parenting tips related with ADHD is also one of the good methods to cure the disorder as the child requires special needs.
Symptoms and Signs of ADHD
- Easily distractible
- Careless mistakes in school homework
- Hardly give to close attention to detail
- Reluctant to involve in school work
- Day dreaming
- Failing o finish task
- Appears not heading to listening
- Difficulty to concentrate
- Take instruction aimlessly
- Difficulty in organizing its own work
- Missing of necessary things is common
- Failing to remember daily activities
- Failed to concentrate on task
- Trouble in organizing activities
- Skip mental related work
- Inability to begin an activity
- Miss details and confused easily
- Having problems in processing of information
Hyperactivity Symptoms of ADHD
- Inability to sit still, especially dung dinner, lunch and school
- Restless sleep
- Roam aimlessly
- Dangerous mounting
- Widespread rousiness
- Talk uninterruptedly
- Playing with everything and anything around
Impulsivity Symptoms of ADHD
- Act without knowing the gravity of consequences
- Switching from one work to another
- Unorganized features
- Tendency to interrupt while other are taking
- Often interrupts
Causes of ADHD
- Genes has greater role for the disease
- Smoking and Alcohol during pregnancy
- Passive smoking in kids
- Exposure to lead at the early stage of life
- Brain injuries
- Nutrition disorders
- Social environment
- Refine sugar may also make the condition worse
- Food additives like artificial colors or preservatives (sodium benzoate)
- Pesticides exposure increases the risk of the disease
- Abnormalities in dopaminergic and noradrenergic systems
- Pregnancy complication premature birth contributed to it
- Emotional abuse and aggression at childhood phase
- Viral and bacterial infection
- Post Traumatic Stress
- Internationally adopted children develop symptoms like this
Complications of ADHD
- Sleep disorders
- Conduct disorders-injury, substance abuse, etc.
- Emotional disorders
- Aggressive behavior
- Hostile and defiant behavior
- Generally struggle in the classroom
- Prone to injuries and accidents
- Interaction problems with peers
- More chances of drug abused
- Learning disabilities
- Compulsive muscular or vocal tics.
Risk Factors of ADHD
- An inherited tendency/ Hereditary
- Mother exposure to toxin i.e. lead
- Alcohol, drugs and cigarettes during pregnancy
- Premature birth
- Mental health condition
- Brain chemicals
- Learning disabilities
- Male are more prone
- Food allergies and food sensitiveness
Tests and Diagnosis of ADHD
The Doctors/Specialists may ask or examine the following things:-
- Find a comprehensive family history
- Try to get a thorough medical history
- Conduct a physical test
- Order neurological exam
- Have an inclusive interview with parents/ child/child’s teacher
- Supervise your child during play
- IQ test is also recommended
Yoga for ADHD management
Yoga Therapy, a refreshing process, tries to find out the very root cause of diseases by restoring and rejuvenating the mechanism of body, mind and soul. Yoga treats ADHD through contending stress hormone and by lowering psychological and psycho-physical distress thereby provide calm and peace. Thus, it is motivating way to stay cool and feel stress free by doing yoga. Observing the child behavior and ADHD treatment, special education should also be arranged.
- Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) stimulates both sides of the brain thereby helps in learning and assist brain integration.
- Pranayama calm the senses, decreases hyperactivity and impulsivity and enhances concentration.
- Yoga Nidra act on the subconscious level to bring about a state of homeostasis in the body and mind.
- Vrikshasana helps to improve the concentration and balance the mental status.
- Shyambhavi Mudra-improves concentration and focusing power besides stilling the mind.
- Meditation positively reduces stress, anxiety, and depression by moving out negative thought thus calms both mind and body.
- Meditation also decreases impulsivity.
- Satwik food increases the spiritual and constructive wisdom.
- Tratak improves concentration and helps to open up mind faculties.
- Sirsasana improves coordination and helps organize and enhances the function of the brain.
- Halasana and relaxation yoga helps to manage ADHD.
Ayurveda remedy for ADHD
Ayurveda treats ADHD by using herbs and its combinations, and also through the preventive mode of Yoga. Ayurvedic herbal components are used as home remedies in the treatment of it. Ayurveda enhances mental ability, learning disorders, behavioural therapy through natural techniques. Alternative cure has solution for defiant teen and adhd child. Ayurvedic cure and remedies for the disorder show fruitful result when combine with Yoga. Here, few of the natural treatments and remedial measures are given.
- Centella Asiatica helps in consciousness and significantly increases mental abilities, used as a natural remedy.
- Medhya Rasayanas calms the mind in stressful situations. It is good for problem-solving ability, retention and recall. It is a useful herbal remedy.
- High proteins diet along with fruits and vegetables enhances mental potential.
- Blueberry due to its antioxidant property is good for brain development.
- Give more rest to mind by sleeping.
- Genuine routine for meals, bed and walk, have stabilizing effect.
- Therapy with basil, orange blossom calms the patient and may be applied as Ayurvedic treatment.
- Take Soy milk + cinnamon before going bed to have nice result in the morning.
- Ayurvedic herbs like Brahmi are used to treat depression and anxiety and also protect brain cells thereby treat such patients.
- Shankhapushpi and Jatamansi act as nerve tonics and sooth the mind too.
- Triphala helps to feel calm.
- Roots of Asghwagandha neutralize the effects of stress and promote overall well-being.
- Bacopa helps sharpen mental function and clarity.
- Clarocet is useful who is suffering from depression, sleep difficulties and mental stress.
- Sarpagandha (Raulwofia serpentina) are used to reduce hyperactivity.
Homeopathy medicine for ADHD
Homeopathy considers and treats the child as a whole and tries to find out the root cause of the disease. Homeopathic medicine has in-built power to reduce hyperactivity, restlessness, and impulsivity in ADHD children. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder finds hopeful treatment with homeopathy. Homeopathy is a safe therapy for such children who are suffering from behavioural disorder and mental disorder. The disease is common in developed countries. Homeopath doctors are getting positive result with such cases. Few of the homeopathic treatments and remedies are given here:
- Tuberculinum are given to those children who are very impatient and get bored easily.
- Stramonium prepared from thorn apple leaves is prescribed who has fears, restless, over energetic, fits of rage and terror at night.
- For restless and hurried child, medicine like tarentula hispanica may be taken.
- Cina helps improve the attention span.
- Aconite is given who has fears and sweating at night.
- Anacardium is indicated to isolation and anxiety.
- Argentum nitricum is prescribed for aggressive child.
- Aranea ixabola is useful for disobey, mischievous and teasing child.
- Aurum metallicum used with children who act like as adult.
- Note: The information mentioned above is for knowledge purposes. Readers are advised to contact a doctor/expert/specialist.
Best diet for ADHD
- Diet and ADHD discusses how to minimize the symptoms of the disorder. It also clears that diet aggravate the condition too.
- Through balanced diet, the condition may be better controlled.
- Favor more vegetarian meals of warm, cooked vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and fresh dairy products.
- Take protein foods in the morning to improve concentration.
- Prefer fresh fruits juice to cold one.
- High-protein foods (eggs, lean meats, nuts, fruits, etc.) keep blood sugar levels stable and optimized brain function too.
- Additive-free organic foods minimized the symptoms.
- Omega-3 fatty acid found in flax seed and fish helps in minimizing symptoms.
- Multi-vitamins and minerals rich foods also given on a regular basis.
- Eating complex carbohydrate (Oranges, pears, apples and grapefruits) at night aid sleep.
- Eating high protein foods like beans, eggs, especially in the breakfast, is very effective.
- The child should provide with plenty of water as brain is made up of about 90%.
Vitamins and minerals for ADHD
- Vitamin B6 – good for proper function of the nervous system.
- Iron – lack of iron may lead to attention-deficit or hyperactivity.
- Magnesium is related with quotient development.
- Phosphatidylserine ameliorates symptoms of the condition.
- Glycine is vital for proper nervous system function.
Prevention and precautions for ADHD
- Limit TV time and Video games.
- Avoid fishes that is high in mercury i.e. shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish.
- The child should keep away from cold.
- Processed food should not be as a food form.
- Avoid dairy products.
- Fried foods, snacks, packed food, junk food should be avoided.
- Minimized the intake of soft drink.
- Stay away from foods with chemicals, pesticides or additives.
- Avoid sugary and processed foods.
- Avoid refrigerated foods.
- Trigger foods are artificial red, blue and yellow dyes.
- Lesser weightage should be given to candy, corn syrup, honey, sugar, products made from white flour, white rice, etc.
- Always preferred homemade food.
- Caffeine rich food should be avoided.