Definition of diabetes mellitus
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorders characterized by high blood glucose levels as the pancreas fail to produce adequate insulin. Type 1 diabetes is characterized by a lack of insulin production while Type 2 diabetes is caused by the body’s ineffective use of insulin. In case of diabetes, the person feels more appetite, loss of sexual desire, polydypsia, polyuria.Image courtesy of Ambro / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Preventive Measures for diabetes mellitus
- Sedentary lifestyle and day sleep is not good for diabetic patients.
- Use of milk, oil, ghee, flour, syrups, curd should be avoided.
- Alcohol and Beverages consumption should be discouraged.
- Quit smoking as it increases the risk.
- Avoid stress, tension and strain.
- Sugarcane juice and Jaggery are also not favourite.
- Don’t exert to overeating
- Fried food
- Preserved and canned food.
- Avoid mental stress as it intensifies diabetes.
Prevention tips for diabetes mellitus
- One should prefer short intervals moderate meals instead of three large meals a day.
- Take sound sleep 7-8 hours at night.
- Special attention should be given to the hygiene of feet.
- Weight balance and maintenance according to age, sex and height.
- Lifestyle modifications is important
- Awareness related to health education has greater impact in reducing diabetes risk.
- Give more weightage to fibrous diet, green vegetables and least to fast and junk foods.
- Regular aerobic exercise should be maintained.
- Every day, morning walk should be the part of your routine.
- Do simple yoga such as Shavasan, Pranayam, Meditation
Ayurveda medicine for diabetes
The list of herbal medicines for prevention and control is:
- Use of Jambolan plum (Syzygium cuminii) is beneficial.
- Bark of Bitter gourd (Momordica charantia)
- Tender shoot of Neem Margo (Azadirachta indica)
- Methi (Trigonella foenum-graecum)
- Karavellaka (Momordica charantia)
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Triphala (Myrobalans)
- Root of Cassia fistula
- Root of Aegle marmalos
Which food is good for diabetes?
Green vegetables, whole cereals, Citrus fruits, millets, legumes, Bitter gourd juice, Buttermilk with fenugreek powder, Soya milk, Lemon water, Amla Juice, Wheat Grass Juice, Salads, Sprouts, Fruits, etc. .