Downward facing dog pose meaning
Downward facing dog pose is also known as Adho Mukh Svanasana. It should be read as (AH-doh MOO-kah Shvah-NAHS-anna ). It means
Downward facing dog yoga is an important yogasana for body stretching, back pain relieving, legs strengthening and brain energizing. It is good for brain as it ensures smooth flow of oxygen to the brain area. This is the fifth Yoga pose in Surya Namaskar.
Steps of downward facing dog pose
The different easy technique for performing Adho Mukh Svanasana are:
Image courtesy: https://burst.shopify.com/
- First of all, put your palms and knees on the floor.
- Now, take the left foot back beside the right foot.
- Simultaneously, raise the buttocks and lower the head between the arms, so that the back and legs form two sides of a triangle.
- The legs and arms should be straight in the final position.
- Try to keep the heels on the floor in the final pose
- Bring the head towards the knees.
- Keep one thing in mind; avoid straining while performing the pose.
Benefits of downward facing dog pose
- Back pain: It ensures suitable stretching to the back and shows good results to the entire spinal region.
- Brain: It is good for the health of the brain by ensuring smooth oxygen flow to the head and ENT regions.
- Skin: This is good for facial region by supplying nutrients through blood thus prevents pimples.
- Hair fall: It strengthens the hair follicles and prevents hair fall.
- Headache: It gives adequate expansion and contraction of head muscles and helpful in case of migraine.
- Piles: The regular practice of this asana helps to overcome piles problems.
- Varicose vein: It gives appropriate stretching on the legs thus good for varicose vein.
- Eye vision: It helps to provide nourishment to the ENT region.
- Memory power: The regular practice of the pose ensures adequate flow of blood in the head region, thus good for intelligence and mental functions.
- Anxiety: It has the power to combat anxiety.
- Lethargy: It gives adequate stretching, which further enhance to efficiency.
- Shoulder strengthening: It gives proper stretch to the arms, shoulders, chest and lungs.
- Osteoporosis: The person suffering from osteoporosis will be benefited from this pose.
- Core and waist: This is one of the important yoga pose to strengthen the waist.
- Hamstring: If you want to strong and make your hamstrings and calves disease free, it is suggested to practice this yoga pose.
Dog pose precautions
- Some of the important contraindications and cautions of downward facing dog pose
- Avoid performing this asana during pregnancy.
- Don’t do while having diarrhea
- Skip the yoga pose if you have acute heel and legs pain.
- It should also be avoided while having any head injury.